Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I got them! My foster Kitties!

poodletalk
September 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Many of you know the story, three kitens were trapped in a cement hole below ground level. I couldn't reach them with a net, while I was work my neighbours called the fire department about them and they came to the resuce of the kitties!

The cement hole where they were
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/smoochyourpoochs/kittenhidingspot2.jpg

Kittens inside the hole, hiding inside old tires!
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/smoochyourpoochs/kitteninsidetires.jpg

Now rescued and in my home!

I thought they would be feral, but there NOT.

All three of them are very friendly but hissy when they don't want to be disturbed.

I hope you can see the pictures ok! (On my computer at home they show up great but at work, there dark!)

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/smoochyourpoochs/allthree.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/smoochyourpoochs/kitten2-3.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/smoochyourpoochs/kitten1.jpg

I don't know if there male or female, so I haven't named them yet.

aslan
September 4th, 2008, 12:01 PM
yay goodwork poodletalk... They are very cute and tiny...

Frenchy
September 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Darn cute ! :cloud9:

bendyfoot
September 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM
awww, what a cute little trio!!:lovestruck:

14+kitties
September 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I am so glad this story has had a happy outcome!! The pics are a little dark but I can still see a couple of sweet faces. :cloud9:
How did they do overnight? They had their first quiet night and were safe. :cloud9: Did you leave the radio on for them today? :)
They probably aren't acting "feral" because they are used to hearing human voices outside. It will still take them a while to be tamed. The younger you get them, the better but I am sure you know that. Did anyone get momma or is she still out there? :sad:

krdahmer
September 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Aw bravo for you and the fire dept! :thumbs up And the neighbours that called too! :goodvibes: that these guys find good homes... they are adorable!

Love4himies
September 4th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Fire Dept comes to the rescue again! :thumbs up

I was thinking about those poor kittens just this morning.

poodletalk
September 4th, 2008, 12:37 PM
When I left for work, I put them in their cage, left the radio and a lamp on.

I have no problems with them when there out of their cage walking around. They don't mind being picked up and petted. They get in and out of their cage on there own as well.

They just hate it, when there in their cage or cat carrier very content and they don't want to move. That's when they hiss at me for a second, I just say "NO" and move them anyways and there fine.

The mother cat is still outside, I need a catch and release cage for her. I saw her last night meowing at the cement wall. I gave her a big bowl of water and food, she ate and drank immediatly.

When I went this morning to give her more food and water, someone put the dishes in the garbage. I'm going to try to start feeding her closer to my place instead of near the cement hole where the neighbours clearly don't want her.

Wendy.H.
September 4th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Awww, your rescued kittys are adorable. They are so lucky to have you, your neighbours and the fire department. Good job everyone! PS, Hope you get the mama soon too.

catsnatcher-CDN
September 4th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for you to end up with a cat or two! :cat:

Brandykins
September 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Well done to the fire department boys!! What wee cuties they are. They were so lucky. Gentle pats to them from me:)

happycats
September 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
They are sooooooo very cute!! I just LOVE black cats! :lovestruck:
They look "Smidge" and "Smudge" to me :D

chico2
September 5th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Poodletalk,what a great turn of events:thumbs upI thought(secretly) whoever took the tire out,had killed them:cry:
Seeing those little adorable black faces safe,gets me all goose-bumpy and teary-eyed,wonderful:thumbs up
:grouphug:to you and good luck catching poor moma.
It's sad thinking some idiot throws out her food,I wish I could have a talk to her/him:evil:

Chris21711
September 5th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Great going Poodletalk :thumbs up

Frenchy - You missed the Firemen :sad:

poodletalk
September 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Last night was a hard night with them, they weren't in the best of moods. One cat tried to bite me, luckily I was wearing thick gloves so he couldn't break the skin.

Very early this morning (5am) I let them out of their cage, they were in much better mood they played and I didn't have too hard of a time putting them back at 6am.

Tonight, I came home around 5pm let them out of their cage and they had a blast. They didn't hiss at me when I come into a room like they normally do and I bought them some balls with bells in it.

At first they were afraid of the balls, but I kept rolling it to them and they started hitting it each other. Every time they were climbing on something the weren't suppose to I picked them put them on the sofa beside me and I petted them for couple of minutes. No hissing.

They are in their cage right now, I have a head-ache so they are resting, Maggie the dog is resting after visiting her canine cousins and now I'm going to rest!

TeriM
September 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Very cute kittens :cloud9: and great job on rescuing them :thumbs up.

Diamondsmum
September 5th, 2008, 07:08 PM
awwwe..

Dem is adorable..:cloud9:

Frenchy
September 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for you to end up with a cat or two! :cat:
Hey catsnatcher ! long time no post , good to "see" you.

Frenchy - You missed the Firemen :sad:
:laughing: I was thinking the same :sad:

At first they were afraid of the balls, but I kept rolling it to them and they started hitting it each other. Every time they were climbing on something the weren't suppose to I picked them put them on the sofa beside me and I petted them for couple of minutes. No hissing.

See ? They already love you :cloud9: you're doing good Poodletalk :thumbs up

And thanks again for all the dog food you brought me today ! :thankyou:

poodletalk
September 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Frenchy - You missed the Firemen

My neighbours said, "when the fireman were climbing down the hole on ropes, they looked like Tarzan"

So, I was thinking of naming the kittens, Tarzan, Jane ...but I'm not sure what the monkeys name was.

Frenchy
September 5th, 2008, 08:20 PM
My neighbours said, "when the fireman were climbing down the hole on ropes, they looked like Tarzan"

http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/3.gif

Next time we want a video of the firema.... I mean video of the rescue of course :rolleyes:

Those would be great names :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
September 5th, 2008, 09:06 PM
So, I was thinking of naming the kittens, Tarzan, Jane ...but I'm not sure what the monkeys name was.

As I recall, that would be Cheetah... :D

Sweet kittens, poodletalk! Is this your first fostering of felines? They sure are little dolls! :flirt: And lucky that you went to bat for them! :thumbs up

kathryn
September 5th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Very cute! All look the same... been there done that :D I label my fosters with paper bands from the shelter now :laughing:

Good luck with them!

ancientgirl
September 6th, 2008, 06:58 AM
What a great outcome for these kittens. I hope you can get the mother as well. Please be careful feeding her. From the fact you found the dishes in the garbage it looks like someone might not want you to give her food. And I can tell you from experience, nasty neighbors will do nasty things to a stray cats food just to get rid of them.

The kittens are adorable. And wow they're all black!:lovestruck:

14+kitties
September 6th, 2008, 07:41 AM
How did things go last night? I hope they have started to settle a little more. They are so cute! Could fit right in here :cloud9: but somehow I have a feeling there is probably more showing up here soon.

poodletalk
September 6th, 2008, 08:03 AM
The kittens had a very boaring night last night, I really wasn't feeling and went to bed early.

Before I went to bed, I went downstairs to check on them soon as they saw me they got up and walking to the door of their cage to get out. They didn't hide in their litter box as they use too.

I was thinking of getting them vaccianted today, I'm not sure if it's a good thing to do it today or I should wait for another day or so until they settle more down. It's a long car ride, 45 minutes I want them to continue to trust me not distrust me.

I won't be home tomorrow for most of the day, my cousin will be coming over to clean their litter, feed and socialize them...I want them in a good mood for her not hissy and snappy

14+kitties
September 6th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I hope you are feeling better today. I know you have a busy weekend. If you have time to take them into the vet it probably wouldn't be too bad of an idea. They will settle pretty quickly again. They are young. When I take mine in they usually forget about it within an hour of returning and are right back to being the scamps they are. :cloud9:
Good luck!:thumbs up

poodletalk
September 6th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I'm going to the SPCA today the one I'm organizing the dogwalk for. If I bring them, I could get them vaccinated.

I also tried to kitty proof my basement last night, I will know if it works this morning.

allymack
September 7th, 2008, 09:47 AM
aw, great news that they are safe! good job poodletalk! and the fire dept also!:thumbs up

want4rain
September 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Catarina inspired Poe's The Black Cat
Burbank is the cat from Lethal Weapon
Jones is from the Aliens movies :D Ripleys cat.
Boche, Moortje, Mouschi and Tommy, all Anne Franks cats (i thought these were great names)

ive always liked Winken, Blinken, and Nod. :D

been pulling for you to get those little guys out. :) they are very handsome!! looks like youre doing a wonderful job!!

you think your vet or SPCA (or similar) will loan you a live trap?? it would be nice!!

-ashley

Sylvie
September 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM
OMG they are beautiful. :thumbs up Thank you for taking such good care of them. There sure are a lot of good people on this site :angel:s

onster
September 7th, 2008, 02:38 PM
awwwwwww...theyre sooo cute..ure so awesome for going through all this trouble for them. Very nice of the firefighters...I thought they dont rescue kitties anymore, but im glad they did.

want4rain
September 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
hows the babies doing?!?!?

-ash

poodletalk
September 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
The kitttens are doing very well, big improvement in them since last week, I got them vaccinated and dewormed on Saturday no problem with them in the car or at the clinic.

The best thing I ever did was, block off all their hiding spots and I bought them little plastic balls with bells in them which they LOVE!

I can pretty much pick them up without them hissing at me, they learned how to run, up and down the stairs which is their favorite pass time.

I also picked up a trap to trap the mother cat which I haven't seen for the past couple of days.

I'll try to take some updated pictures of them tonight.

14+kitties
September 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM
That is great to hear!! My newest additions love straws. Go figure. It's the only thing they play with so far. The rest of the toys get ignored. :shrug:
I think we need to see some stair action pics!

Frenchy
September 9th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I think we need to see some stair action pics!

yesssss please !!! :cat:

BTW Poodletalk , congratulation on the spca walk , heard it was a success ! :thumbs up

BenMax
September 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
yesssss please !!! :cat:

BTW Poodletalk , congratulation on the spca walk , heard it was a success ! :thumbs up

I heard the same Poodletalk! Congrats on the dogjog! You are an animal trooper!

poodletalk
September 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I don't know if I can get any stair action, their really fast and with them being black it's hard to get pictures.

I was thinking of them more playing with their plastic balls and when I give them a bowl of fresh water is a HUGE highlight to them. They all come running and drink out of the bowl at the same time, it's really cute:thumbs up

poodletalk
September 9th, 2008, 11:51 AM
BTW Poodletalk , congratulation on the spca walk , heard it was a success

Yes it was, we raised 30K and I'm sure more money will be coming in the mail.

Frenchy
September 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Yes it was, we raised 30K and I'm sure more money will be coming in the mail.

wooohoo ! :crazy: :thumbs up

rainbow
September 18th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I just found this thread now. :o

Great rescue job poodletalk :angel: and kudoes to the firemen for helping. :thumbs up

How are the kitties doing now? :goodvibes: