Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a book all dog and cat owners should read

yankcollector
September 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I have been bouncing around various sites regarding pet food. I found that the first thing I needed to do is to read the book "food pets die for" by ann martin. I was horrified when I found out how most dog foods are made and out of what they are made of. After reading the book I started doing more research and found a site - dogfood anaylsis.com. Seems that most of the foods that are so good for your companions are real unhealthy. Most of them, as you will see, rated a 1 star out of the possible 6 which is the best. This site has me looking in more depth as to what I really should feed my companion. Never again will I buy certain brands because of the sickening rendered contents. There are good quality foods out there but most are beyond poor. There are only a few large producers of pet food yet there are hundreds of different packages. Ralston purina being the largest at approx. 38% of the market of which 41 types are rated 1 star. Do the research.

kathryn
September 3rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Uhhh yup, actually all of us here already know that... and alot of the members use that website already ^^ We have information at the top of this forum as well.

Goldens4Ever
September 3rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
......Do the research.

I've visited (& been a part of) a few different pet forums, & the members of this particular one are the most enlightened of them all. You will find that many of the members have a wealth of knowledge in this area & the information you presented is well-known here. ;)

Welcome. :dog:

Purpledomino
September 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Well I gotta say that you've come to the right place. Most of what I have learned regarding pet nutrition can be attributed to this site, the wealth of knowledge here from members is incredible. I too have visited other sites, and some still seem to be in the dark ages when it comes to proper feeding of our dogs or cats. Welcome to the board! :D

BusterKitty
September 4th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Welcome to the board!

This site is sooooo wonderful! It's taught me so much since I've been around(which is not long) and if I didn't find this, I would still be saying "FEED IAMS, EVERYBODY!"

I remember when I was WAY younger, my friend asked me "If you got a puppy, what food would you feed?" I really didn't know any back then so she just continued, "I would feed Iams. It's really good, you know" and I agreed. Now, I know how little knowledge we had on pet food:laughing:

Winston
November 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I just thought I would update this thread. I went and got the book from the library and I cannot tell you how much it is worth reading!!! Boy did I have my eyes opened!! It is not a large book and it can be read rather quickly. I did find myself reading some sentences twice but I think it was from shock!

Some people have a great wealth of knowledge so it may be nothing new to you but I did get enlightened! One point that comes to mind is what a rendering facility is and what is brought to them! OMG sickening really..anyway a good read and I am so glad that someone posted this thread!

Cindy

Tundra_Queen
November 12th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I can't get the address to work.

Debbie

Winston
November 12th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Tundraqueen I got my book through the public library....

geisha
November 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM
We have a copy. It made me sick to think I fed my dog Iams for 4 years.:yuck: Now I read labels and of course log on here.:thumbs up