Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Well, I'll be dipped.

bendyfoot
September 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Wow.

So Jaida just got home with DW from the consult with the orthopaedic surgeon. We were fully expecting him to confirm the hip dysplasia diagnosis and tell us to book a hip replacement surgery.

Wrong.

He thinks her lameness is being caused by one of two things: either muscular injury, which could be helped by basic physio, or something going on with her spine. He said the displacement seen in her hip xrays is a result of her spinal curvature (which I beleive is a result of her tripod gait) and would be expected and is not painful. She showed no signs of hip pain on examination, but did show signs of discomfort when he examined her back. He's going to review other xrays and let us know what he thinks our next step should be. If it's her back, she might need an MRI to diagnose the problem, but odds are it's not going to be something that can be helped.

Of course now I'm thinking DM (degenerative mylopathy sp?) which would suck. Sigh. I just want to know what the problem is so that if we CAN fix it, then we fix it, and if it's something we just have to manage as best we can, then we just manage it the best we can.

Did that phonecall ever throw me for a loop!:confused:

Dog Dancer
September 3rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Interesting... Good it's not the hip, but bad that you don't really know what it is. Good luck to Jaida and keep us posted.

want4rain
September 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
*hugs hugs hugs* well, good luck with it. i hope its fixable!!

-ash

bendyfoot
September 3rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
Interesting... Good it's not the hip, but bad that you don't really know what it is. Good luck to Jaida and keep us posted.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about it...like yay, not hips, but then....WTH???

Gypsyhick
September 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Oh yay! Not hips!

Oh crap... not hips. :( Please update when the vet's review is done!!!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

bendyfoot
September 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Why, oh why, do I google????:yell:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=456

It says many signs mimic signs of hip dysplasia. Someone make me stop thinking about this and let the vet figure it out.

Puss'FavPerson
September 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
I know about googling possible diagnosis'''(sp?) ... really can put you in a dither.
Just dealt with spinal problems in my cat (RIP) last year.

And I'm pretty sure the pet feels that anxiety right along with you! So try to think positive as possible until the vet comes back with more info.

:fingerscr & :pray: couldn't hurt!

pitgrrl
September 3rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
Why, oh why, do I google????:yell:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=456

It says many signs mimic signs of hip dysplasia. Someone make me stop thinking about this and let the vet figure it out.

STOP GOOGLING!!

Seriously, do you know how many times I've convinced myself my dogs were on the brink of death because of the internet? They're still alive and well by the way.

YOu'll drive yourself nuts looking at all the millions of bizarre conditions which "might" be similar to what you're dealing with. Don't worry until you know what's going on, and then, don't worry because you'll deal with it.

SnowDancer
September 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hate to say it, but without the MRI you might now know what the problem is. I guess I am somewhat surprised that the ortho did not take the MRI - guess he is leaving that to the neuro. It could be many things, and very possibly something that could be handled with meds or by surgery (I know, it really costs - as does the MRI). I hope that all turns out well.

aslan
September 3rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
now bendyfoot stay off of google, we can always find some totally terrible prognosis on google that fits our animals symptoms. It could very easily be muscular from being a tripod. She could end up just at the worste needing to go to a doggie chiropractor or acupuncturist. Repeat after me, " i will wait til i hear from the doctor, I WILL NOT GOOGLE".

hazelrunpack
September 3rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
bendyfoot, our springer, Priscilla, had hip dysplasia--but after the first hip was replaced, the orthopedic surgeon found that her back was more painful to her than the remaining dysplastic hip. Years of redistributing the weight had resulted in damage to the intervertebral disks in the spine and put pressure on some of the nerves. So he fixed the back before we tackled the second hip.

I realize that Jaida does not have dysplasia, but the redistribution of her weight due to not being able to use her leg (before or, of course, after amputation) may have caused a similar problem.

In Priscilla's case they took out the damaged disk material from between the vertebrae to relieve pressure on the nerves. She was right as rain again and good to go after 6 weeks of rest to let the area heal. She had no further back discomfort for the remaining 10 years she was with us (she died at age 15).

Although it was still fairly expensive and the risks were a little bit higher than for the hip replacements, the back surgery was cheaper than either hip replacement was.

Maybe you'll have a similar experience with Jaida :grouphug:

:goodvibes: heading Jaida's way!

Rainy
September 3rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
I would bet that her soreness is coming from having 3 limbs.Poor baby.Maybe physio or massage tecniques will work for her.I hope it gets figured out and you both feel better.

want4rain
September 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
:yuck: just dont start googling skin problems....

-ash

growler~GateKeeper
September 4th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I might've mentioned it sometime previous but whatever the diagnosis an Animal Physical Therapist can work on rebuilding the muscle through structured muscle specific exercises and using laser therapy or acupuncture for the spine. Swimming is a great non weight bearing exercise to help build muscle.

Stay AWAY from google!

:goodvibes: for Jaida

krdahmer
September 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM
:goodvibes: also for Jaida... and step away from the google!!! :grouphug:

bendyfoot
September 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM
HRP, thanks for sharing that experience!!!

I will stay away from Google.

(Have I convinced you all yet??)

growler~GateKeeper
September 5th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Nope :p

have you convinced yourself though? :D

14+kitties
September 5th, 2008, 12:26 PM
So I am going to pull a big DUH! and assume (there's that word again) that the issues she had with steps a while back had something to do with her back pain and not the lack of the other leg.

And all the anti-google BBer's are right! Stay away, just stay away. (although I am just as guilty :o)