Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The neighborhood snoop

joeysmama
September 1st, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah it's me. Or it's going to be. :frustrated:

I have very poor hearing but the other day I was coming in from the car with Tom and I heard a dog crying/howling. I live on a cul de sac so the side of our property backs up to back yards from another neighborhood and there's also a large space of wooded area and township property between us and them. I couldn't see anything but I could definitely hear that a dog was in distress. Tom said he'd heard it the day before and he thought that the dog was probably tied up for a long time. He thinks he knows which house it's coming from.

A few hours later we were sitting around the back of our house. As I said my hearing is not good (I only hear 25% of what most people hear) so I didn't hear it from there but he must have been howling again because my daughter came out and said "Who is mistreating that poor dog ?"

Tomorrow I'm going to go walking in that neighborhoood and ask people where the dog is. I don't know what to do though. I'm afraid if I call animal control and the people get a visit they'll just take it out on the dog and put him in the basement or something. I know two families on that street so I'll start by asking questions and see what happens.

I hate feeling so helpless. It wouldn't take much for me to get Tom to just go over and untie him but they would probably have me arrested for dog-napping.

TeriM
September 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM
:sad::sad:

Can you tell if it is coming from someone's yard or if it might be in the wooded area?

joeysmama
September 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM
It's definitely from the neighborhood side. I wouldn't have been able to tell but Tom and the kids could hear where it was coming from more plainly than I could.

But they're close to the woods too and we have problems with bears and coyotes. If they're leaving a dog tied up he's not safe. :sad: Plus it's very clear that he's unhappy.

Chris21711
September 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
If you can find out what house it is coming from, call the SPCA and report that you have fears that a dog is in distress. Once they get a report they are obligated to check it out, if the dog in question is not being properly treated, they normally give the owner orders to comply by a certain date at which time they will return to check on the dog. Hope this can help :pray:

Frenchy
September 2nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
If you can find out what house it is coming from, call the SPCA and report that you have fears that a dog is in distress. Once they get a report they are obligated to check it out, if the dog in question is not being properly treated, they normally give the owner orders to comply by a certain date at which time they will return to check on the dog. Hope this can help :pray:

I second Chris advice :thumbs up

joeysmama
September 2nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks I'm going to do that. And I told everyone in my family to let me know the minute they hear that dog crying.