Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pedipaws

crochetdiva
September 1st, 2008, 12:48 PM
Has anyone tried this nail trimmer? I see it advertised on tv all the time, and wondered how effective it is. I like they say it is nearly impossible to hurt the dog....huh??? Well, I was hoping for totally impossible. But it has to be better than cutting the poor dog's quick, which I seem to do everytime I cut my dog's nails. It is especially difficult on the black claws.

Joeyjoejoe
September 1st, 2008, 05:38 PM
I've been looking into it myself. I'm also looking at Peticure.

From what I heard and read, Pedipaw ($20) is a knockoff version of Peticure. Peticure has overall better quality then Pedipaw and comes in different models ($30-$60).

However, if you only have a small dog, then Pedipaw might be enough. If it's a medium size dog or larger, than Peticure is probably best.

Also worth noting, the refills are:

10 for $10 at Pedipaw
20 for $15 at Peticure

crochetdiva
September 1st, 2008, 11:11 PM
Peticure! I'll be!! My little kids said they saw that on tv, and I just thought they were mistaken. Oops.
My dogs are bichon/shiht-zhu crosses, that weigh about 10 pounds. I need to do something with their nails soon.

SnowDancer
September 2nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
I did read a few reviews of the Petipaw nail trimmer on the pet site specific to my dog's breed. A couple of people liked them, but many others did not - and also pointed out the "noise" factor which their dogs did not care for. The American Eskimo has claws of steel so major clippers are needed and not ones that make noise. I have also seen the commercials for Peticure and frankly thought that the dogs did not look that happy. No way would I be able to get my guy to sit still for it. I have his done at the Groomer's - worth every penny of the $5.

lm9012
September 2nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Gosh I too am dying to know what people think of this thing! Apparently they are severely backordered..both the Peticure and Pedipaws!

I ordered the PediPaws..since my dog's nails are fairly easy to care for, and he's really laid back and lets me do anything to him..so I wasn't concerned about motor noise, etc.

It was $10 or so cheaper, and both were going to take equal time arriving so I went the cheap route! Anyway, the ad stated that you get a 'free' deshedder tool. While I have yet to discover a perfect 'deshedder' for my dog.. I figured why not!

Well, you don't get a choice whether you want the tool or not...and you are charged an additional $7.99 for s/h. So the shipping is $16 alone! which is nuts.

Then to place the order you go through several pages of them trying to sell you more crap and I got suckered into the 'turbo' model for another $10. It's been about a month since I ordered and I got a postcard the other day telling me they were sorry for the delay..then offering me multiple other PediPaws at a discount that will of course still take much longer than my first order! :yell:

For now, I stick with clippers...but I'm so scared I'll hit the quick (which I have) that I trim slightly..which means I'm doing it practically every week now. :shrug: Around here a clipping runs $14 at a groomers or vets. So I do it myself.

I promise when and if I ever get this thing I'll post a review on it!!

MommaKat
September 28th, 2008, 01:03 AM
So has anyone tried this yet? I saw the commercial for this and also the one for Peticure on youtube. I was amazed in the commercials that the pets (including cats) sat still for it. Then I realized you could not hear the device so for all you know for the sake of the commercial it's not even turned on, and that's why the pets are not freaking out :shrug: But if it it does work quick and easy I may have a look at one off of ebay.

lm9012
October 1st, 2008, 12:18 PM
Well, like my previous post stated..it took a while to get here..almost two months. Although I ordered the 'turbo' version, they sent me the regular one. they charged me for the regular one...so no biggie.

The device DOES work...however, the motor is a bit loud. My dog, who is very laid back, was even a little freaked out by it. They give lots of tips on acclamating your dog to the noise, offering treats, praise, etc. So if you aren't sure how your dog will react...please follow these instructions. Don't just start filing their nails with it.

Albert was fine after a while, I think he was more urked that I had him on his back, which he hates...but that's the best way for me to access all his nails. You have to hold on to the paw tightly..since the vibration of the machine is powerful. There are clear instructions of how to do that as well.

You must only file in 3-4 second increments, as the nail can get hot, and you can go too far. Plus, if your dog has hairy paws(mine does) you have to be careful with that too. So I would suggest trimming any fur on the paws that go over their claws.

All in all, I think it is a fine product. A bit annoying that it only takes 2 'C' Alkaline batteries. Which are NOT included. I had to go out and buy some, since I only had nickel cadium rechargables--the device won't work with those. So far I've only used it once, and am quite happy with the results. So I won't need it for a while. I'll keep the batteries out of it too while in storage.

As for the deshedder tool..it's crap. I'll stick to the furminator. It's so tiny, it grabs none of Albert's hair. However, it is decent on my kitten. But the furminator works much better on her, and she doesn't mind it.

Only drawback would be that they 'force' you to take the deshedder tool...and charge you the extra $8 to ship it. It also comes with three extra filer refils so when you order they do offer you to buy some but since it comes with so many, I don't think you'd need to order more..unless you have lots of pets.

So I give it a thumbs up for the most part! Maybe the 'peticure' is higher quality..but for one laid back 40 lb dog, the PediPaws is suiting us just fine! Total with shipping was $35.00

AmericanBullMom
October 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM
I HAVE one... but neither of the dogs will allow us to use it on them... Patrón is petrafied of it and jackson just jumps around so much you can use it on him. We tried the whole food thing, and letting them hear it...and holding them down... the one toe nail I DID get filed looks great though!:thumbs up

Stacer
October 30th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I'm considering buying either the pedipaws or the peticure.

The vet couldn't even get Skylar's nails trimmed with 3 of them holding her. Poor girl is so petrified or having her paws held/nails trimmed.

The vet suggested we try a file but that's not really going over well with her either. Her poor nails are getting so long.

Joeyjoejoe
October 30th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I'm considering buying either the pedipaws or the peticure.

The vet couldn't even get Skylar's nails trimmed with 3 of them holding her. Poor girl is so petrified or having her paws held/nails trimmed.

The vet suggested we try a file but that's not really going over well with her either. Her poor nails are getting so long.

The problem with these tools are they make noise. So if regular trimming doesn't work, then these tools won't work either.

My boys don't like getting their nails trimmed either. Well that's a bit of an understatement... my vet, his aide and I have the scars to prove that! :rolleyes:

Have you tried trimming while she's asleep? I wait until my guys are asleep and then trim away. I lay out a towel on top of my desk and they love to nap on it while I'm on the computer. Them being elevated on a table makes trimming a lot easier. Sometimes they pull away their paw or wake up while I'm trimming (usually, giving me the, "WTF are you doing?" look :D). So sometimes it takes a few days to get all the nails.

totallyhip
October 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM
We use a Dremmel and have used it for ages. I was wondering when someone was going to invent something made particularly for dogs :lightbulb:

Luke hates getting his nails trimmed. He has 1 too many bad experiences and just dreads it. He doesn't mind the Dremmel at all. I actually do it while he is laying down asleep and he will pop his head up and look at me and then lay it back down. The only thing you have to be careful of is not to push down on it while it is turning. Just let the Dremmel do the work. Also don't hold it for more than 3 seconds on the nail otherwise it heats up and could burn your baby.

Our Dremmel does make noise. Its not super loud though. We have the cordless one. I hear the plug in one is louder. It just took a while for us to get used to it. It has to be introduced properly. You can't just expect to trim the nails the very first time. What I did was reward them for sniffing it a few days; then turned it on and rewarded them for sitting while it was on for a few days; then turned it on and touch their paws with my hands and reward. Slowly work up to the trimming part. I actually think they like the Dremmel b/c everytime that thing comes out everyone gets TREATS!!!!

totallyhip
October 30th, 2008, 02:17 PM
This is the Dremmel we use:

https://www.businessvision.net/Edge/Main.asp?D=%7B1A5CB5E7%2D2BB7%2D40BD%2D831B%2D1A56 16BC949B%7D&PageType=Product&SKU=NT030&CategoryID=424

Here is a link with tips for using the Dremmel and getting the dog used to it. Helpful even if you have a different device other than the Dremmel

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

:dog:

ancientgirl
October 30th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I have a Peticure, but it seems to be better suited for dogs nails than cats. Even at the smallest opening, it's very hard to get my cats nail in there to get filed.

I did see something new on tv the other night that looks like it might work better for cats.

Pet Zoom (http://www.petzoomnailgroom.com/#order)

As soon as I have some extra money to spend, I'm going to order one.

A warning though, if you click on to the link, lower your speakers if you're at work. It plays the commercial on the site.

Melinda
October 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I love it!!! it arrived last week and with only 5 minutes of "touch it" Brina allowed me to do one nail........then another, I did one foot then put it away, later watching tv I did another paw and the next day did the other two, she doesn't mind it at all and it doesn't take long, so its' become part of our 'cuddle on the couch" routine, my sis borrowed it for her dragons too. I ordered mine from regal, 29 dollars with no deshedder, its a nice quiet tool, I was surprised I expected it to be much louder.you do have to make sure you hold the nail you're doing, not the paw.

TulipRoxy
October 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
We use the dremel at work to file all of the dogs nails. I find it works really well, you can get the nails shorter, rounder, and if you go slowly it is much harder to cut the dog. Some dogs don't like the noise, however, so for those dogs we cut and then file briefly.