Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog soils crate

Jackie467
July 16th, 2004, 05:45 PM
I have a 7 month old italian greyhound who constantly soils her crate. this includes both eliminations. I just can't seem to get her housetrained no matter how much i take her out and praise her. This is the first time this has ever happend to me. She has been going in her crate since we brought her home and every day i have to disinfect it and she still goes in it. I got her when she was 12 weeks old. I don't know what to do. she is outside alot because she can't be trusted inside without close supervision and i feel terrible but she just won't stop going inside. :(

Jackie467
July 16th, 2004, 05:59 PM
I also forgot to mention that i take her out every one and a half hours and at night every 2 and a half hours, this means i actully set my alarm get up and take her out but she still goes some time between when i put her back in and get up again. I even take her to work with me and take her out every hour and a half there but she just won't stop having accidents.

Luba
July 16th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Where did you get her from, that could have something to do with it.

Don't give her access to the crate except if you want her to sleep there???

What do you feed her now? Have u ruled out any medical problems? If she can't hold it overnight at 7mons u may be feeding the wrong food OR there is a medical problem.

How do you handle the situation when she does soil in the crate? Do you scold her or anything?

Spoiled
July 16th, 2004, 10:51 PM
I'd think that there is a medical problem. You should take her to the vet and get her checked out.

Also, these are some things to think about:

Is the crate too big? One that is too large can be turned into a bathroom at one end, and a bedroom at the other in a dog's way of thinking.

Where did you get this dog? If you got her from a pet store, she may have come from a puppy mill which basicaly makes the dogs sleep in their own poop and pee.

Do you watch her to see if there are any signs that she needs to go out? Such as sniffing around, circling, or whatever she does. Memorize these and take her out when she displayes these signs. You should

Do you treat her when she goes to the bathroom outside? You should

Do you pick her up and take her hurriedly outside when she begins to go to the bathroom inside your house? You should.

Hope these help! :)

wAggie
July 16th, 2004, 11:37 PM
you probably are giving her too much space in that crate. let her have just enough so that she can stand up, turn around, stretch, and lie back down.

if she's got enough room to deficate AND sleep, the space is too big.

corner it off.

here's buh-bah @ 4 months. :)

Jackie467
July 17th, 2004, 01:02 AM
actully the crate is just the right size all she can do is turn around. she actully just lies in it. in fact sometimes when i take her out she smells from it or has some on her. of course i wash her off every day. i'v had her to the vet serveral times actualy over 15 cuz she had a skin condition we thankfully got under control, but she was completely checked out and the vet said there was no reason medically for her to be doing this. the only time she is in the crate is when she sleeps other than that she's with me or my family. as soon as i see her circling i take her out and she does go on command but not fifteen minutes later she'll just squat without any warning. she does this very quickly and usually where someone can not see her or get to her right away like under a chair. i never scold her for going when i don't catch her i simply put her outside make her go and praise her just like the vet told me. i also clean the mess up and deoderize it when she is not around because my vet told me to not let her see me clean it up. as far as where i got her it was at a "breeder" but i have a feeling he wasn't as great a breeder as we thought and may have just let her in the crate so much she had to go there. i just don't know what to do. thanks for all your help. if you have any more ideas let me know it will be greatly appriciated. i forgot to mention we have her on iams puppy chow which is what my step father recommednded. he raised, bred, and showed akitas. and this is what we fed all our other dogs when they were puppies and we never had a problem like this before.

Luba
July 17th, 2004, 01:07 AM
When u got the dog at the breeder did you see the litter and the parents of them? Did they show you where the dogs slept/nursed and such?

I wonder if this is some form of separation anxiety at night in the crate.
Do you have room in your bedroom for the crate?

Jackie467
July 17th, 2004, 01:12 AM
the dogs parents weren't at the house which bothered me and i was stupid and decided to get her anways. all the other litter mates were there but we didn't get to see when they slept only their outside pen. i think the reason they were in the crate so much though may have been because it was winter and too cold for them outside. but still he should have had more time to watch them. the reason i bought her was because it's very difficault to find IG breeders where i live. there weren't any other litters at the time i could find and that time was just ideal for me to get the puppy because i would be home so i got her anyway.

Jackie467
July 17th, 2004, 01:13 AM
oh yeah and the crate is in my room with me.

Luba
July 17th, 2004, 01:14 AM
My next question is she kennel club registered?

If not then u just realize your dog is from a backyard breeder or puppy mill my friend.

Luba
July 17th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Oh great stuff with the crate, just keep it up :D things will work out!

Persistence is key!

Too much exercise just before bed can cause the bowels to contract and increase 'movement' so to speak. So only a 'out for wee wee/poop' then back inside.

Jackie467
July 17th, 2004, 01:19 AM
she isn't registered because i never sent in the papers but i do have them and the breeder did show me pictures of her prize winning mother and father and two sets of grandparents. actully i'll have to try to get her to calm down at night because i never thought about it but she does play a lot with our other dog right before bed. thanks so much maybe that will help.

Luba
July 17th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Good, glad not a byb/mill dog then!

Okay, sounds like we may have struck gold or poop or something.

I'd tire them out say by 9pm and get them outside within 1/2 hour of the play to get the business come out hahaha!
After that, no play...calm time, then another outing NOT to play and run just to go w/r. IF they do play and run you put her on the lead when u take her out and get to go to w/r that way :D they think they smart but u can out smart them ! :p

Jackie467
July 17th, 2004, 01:25 AM
do you think it's possible she does this because she's jelous that my other dog sleeps in bed with me but shes in the crate? the reason i ask is because she does this every night and i do take her out right before bed and watch her go and some of the time she does go both. i admitt most of the time she'll only pee but even when she does go both she still poops in her crate as well as pees.

Luba
July 17th, 2004, 01:27 AM
I don't think jealous but maybe some anxiety there? Is the door open/closed

Jackie467
July 17th, 2004, 01:31 AM
i'm not sure if you mean her crate door or my bedroom door but both are closed either way.

Luba
July 17th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Ok, what if u try leaving the crate door open and what if they both did sleep on your bed with you? :D

OR both on a bed on the floor near you?

Jackie467
July 17th, 2004, 01:36 AM
i'll try that but i'm just afaid she'll go in my bed which is just not a good sensastion. believe me i'v rolled over into some nasty stuff before when my other dog got sick one night.

Luba
July 17th, 2004, 01:38 AM
LOL I don't think she'll 'go' in your bed but that would be very squishy!

I'd say leave the crate door open and if you dont mind the dogs sleeping with you and they dont have aggression issues, let them :D I do !

Jackie467
oh BJ has never stayed on the floor. he may start out there but it won't last long. and if you don't let him up he'll cry all night until you either go crazy or let him up :D

Luba
btw PICTURE pls
not of the poop either, the dooooogies :D

Jackie467
July 17th, 2004, 01:39 AM
i'll try that. and no they have no aggression problems at all. BJ has adopted Candi and won't even let other dogs growl at her. lol. :D

Luba
July 17th, 2004, 01:41 AM
Let me know how it goes, I'd love to hear!

Jackie467
July 17th, 2004, 01:46 AM
I surly will. thank so much for your help.

Luba
July 17th, 2004, 01:46 AM
My pleasure, g'nite

Jackie467
July 17th, 2004, 01:47 AM
night to you too.

Spoiled
July 17th, 2004, 04:35 PM
she does this very quickly and usually where someone can not see her or get to her right away like under a chair.

Hmmm, this sounds like your dog does not want you to see her when she does it. Watch for her when she begins to want to go under a chair or something, and take her outside then.

You said you were feeding her on Iams? Iams is not the greatest food. Try feeding her Solid Gold or Eagle Pack. Make sure that the first five ingredients aren't anything with corn in them, and chicken meal is a good thing to avoid, too. :)

Bill & Bob
July 18th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Well, the only Italian Greyhounds I've ever known belonged to my ex back home. They were/are? really great dogs. Very emotional though and very jealous. When I went back to visit about 5 years ago, I stayed with my ex and her new beau (we still talked at that point). Anyhoo, the male pooch seemed to have forgotten all the good times we had and didn't appreciate me being at the house with the new beau there. So, he pooped and peed beside my bed each night so I'd have something nice and soft to land on each day when I got up. Very nice.
Anyhoo, my ex told me that she actually had to recrate train her dog again because they developed a habit, again, of pooping all over the house. Anything changed in the dogs life recently?

moontamara
July 19th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Oh that's true Bill&Bob. When my parents were splitting up and my brother and I were in and out of the house because we were in university, our little Bichon Frise Molly had potty accidents all over again like she was a puppy even though she had been 99% before all the turmoil. These little ones do react to our stress.

heidiho
July 19th, 2004, 10:54 AM
I would not rule out jealousy

sammiec
July 19th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Do you remove your dogs food at night time? Are they on a feeding schedule? This might stop the night time bathroom trips...I had a similar problem when I got my Birggs. She had NO probelm going to the washroom where she slept..this is normally a big no no for dogs. When she was in the shelter there were 4 other puupies with her and they all pooped and peed in the "cell". That could be what taught her this dirty deed. Just keep trying, they need encouragement and help with this one. Don't give up!!! I spent MANY weeks taking the young one out at night and being on the 18th floor, this was no small task! Give her treats when you go out and praise her liek crazy when she goes outside - but don't yell, scold or hit if it's done in doors. I was always told: if the dogs goes inside when you're home - it's your fault not theirs, they can't be punished for something that you did wrong!! (It's just a general comment, not directed at you!!) But I think you're on the track, keep it up!!! :D

Jakes momma
July 19th, 2004, 02:26 PM
I have had Jake, a brindle colored shih tzu) for 7 weeks now. He was doing OK on the wee pads but he grew tired of those and found his own spot in my house. I have been crate training him since we got him. I have 2 kids and up until now they would go in and get him whenever. My problem is this: he poops and pees in his crate. I have a divider, so he only has enough room to lay down. I purchased a litter training system today. I am hoping this will work, because in the winter we get some big snows and I thought this would be great for those days. I am getting up 2 to 3 times a night only to find that he is barking to let me know that he has already used the crate for his potty. I have moved him into his own little section of the house with his crate, the litter box and his toys. I did give him too much freedom, now he is in his own space. He will go outside(pee) but he will wait until we come back in and poop in the house.. I even put him in his pet taxi, to sleep thinking that his crate was too big. He pooped in that and had it all over him. I do not know what else to do, I love the little guy and I hate to have to get rid of him. I have patience but my husband does not Jake was born March 25th of this year
Thanks
Michelle

Jackie467
July 19th, 2004, 03:13 PM
thanks for all the help. there hasn't been any changes in her life recently so i don't think that is it. everythings been the same that it always has. I let her sleep on my bed with me and my other dog last night and she did do better there weren't any accidents but she ended up back in her crate when i woke up so i think she prefers sleeping there so i think i might just let the door to the crate open and try that for a while and see how it works.