Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bugs

Frenchy
August 31st, 2008, 09:01 PM
I was near the pool when I saw this , a manthis trapped in a spider's web. I wanted to take it out but thought she already had the web all stuck to her , she might not survive anyway so I just left it :sad: pics are not great , the web was high ... hope you can see this.

14+kitties
August 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM
That is a big spider!!!! :yuck:
You know the way you feel about mice? I feel that way about spiders.

onster
August 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
:eek:

i dont know which bug to be more freaked out about :eek:

onster
August 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
so the spider is still there??? arent u scared u doze off near ure pool and then :evil::o

Frenchy
August 31st, 2008, 09:07 PM

:laughing: I get it :yuck:

I love spiders :cloud9: the bigger the better, and bugs are HUGE here , well , for a city girl they are :p there's one in the corner of my bedroom , been there for 2 weeks now , I just can't bring myself to kill it :sad:

hazelrunpack
August 31st, 2008, 09:18 PM
I love spiders, too. Seems like all the men in my life have been afraid of them...perhaps that's why I like them so much! :laughing:

You know, I've never seen a mantis in the wild? I'm sure there must be some out here, but I've never managed to spot one! :frustrated:

Frenchy
August 31st, 2008, 09:21 PM
so the spider is still there??? arent u scared u doze off near ure pool and then :evil::o

:laughing: she's far from the patio ... but I have others :evil:

Frenchy
August 31st, 2008, 09:22 PM
I love spiders, too. Seems like all the men in my life have been afraid of them...perhaps that's why I like them so much! :laughing:

It's weird how many men are afraid of spiders .... maybe it's because of the black widow :evil:

krdahmer
September 1st, 2008, 12:11 AM

:eek:

i dont know which bug to be more freaked out about :eek:

Ya ditto... save the mantis squish the monstrous spider!!!:eek:

Brandykins
September 1st, 2008, 10:27 AM
OMG I am absolutely terrified of spiders!! I even know when one is around in one of my bedrooms! My blood crawls!! Good capture though!!

Frenchy
September 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Ah come on guys , spiders eat bugs :thumbs up and trap grasshoppers in their web , and there's a lot of them here :yuck:

badger
September 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM
I love 'spider season', they are so ingenious and patient. There's a dying tomato plant on my balcony which I will not compost until the spider that has built in its branches has finished her work. She has been very successful and is fat with eggs.

Bugs in general thrill me :p but hot climates are best for insect-watching in general. A spider with a body the size of a plum gave me pause once, in India. I had to clear it out of the room but it was probably not poisonous; a tiny green scorpion would do way more damage.

allymack
September 1st, 2008, 11:40 AM
:yuck: ewwww, i hatee spiders! they are scary :o poor mantis :sad:

Frenchy
September 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
. A spider with a body the size of a plum gave me pause once, in India. I had to clear it out of the room but it was probably not poisonous; a tiny green scorpion would do way more damage.

You were in India badger ?

badger
September 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM
Oh yeah, three times, most recently in 1995. I love it there. But even the furthest corners of the world are changing radically, so my advice is not to wait. The crowds are unbelievable, the villages (those that are on the road system) are filling up with cars and the internet is accessible virtually everywhere.
So in that light, my first trip in 1976 was the best, beautiful and strange, with few modern distractions. Oh, I'd go tomorrow, just thinking about it. On the downside, the animal suffering is hard to witness. In Northern India, where I spent many months, the Tibetans used to round up all the female dogs and keep them in a sort of shelter. Spaying was not an option (no vets), but I thought it was pretty ingenious, under the circumstances.

want4rain
September 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
Badger, you just reached Deity like status with me.

i love bugs, spiders are great... outside. you guys are right tho... warmer climates are great for bug watching. i should photograph some of the cool ones we have around here. i have a really big writing spider living on the back steps... we walk all the way around the house to get back there now. :)

in my house tho.... spiders forfeit their lives.

-ash

chico2
September 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
aww Frenchy poor Mantis:sad:
I do not mind Spiders,would never kill one or anything else for that matter,they all have a right to share this earth with us.
However,there is one bug that makes my skin crawl and hubby just HAS TO get rid of it for me.
I know I've showed it before,but they live in my basement,sometimes I'll find one in the litterboxes,I am kind enough to let the baby ones live but the 2 inch ones are goners:yell:

badger
September 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM
Those are a little icky, I agree, at my place they turn up in the bathtub and other places when it rains (or is about to). The cats love to hunt them and I confess that occasionally I turn my back...

JennieV
September 1st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Wow, thats a nice capture Frenchy! I dont mind spiders but earwicks - brrrrr! makes my skin crawl!

ancientgirl
September 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM
I can deal with anything but roaches. OMG, they are just disgusting and dirty. I rarely see a live one though. Usually when I find one it's dead or dismembered. I do thought always love seeing lizards in my apartment. I grew up thinking they were good luck when they came into your home. :D

chico2
September 2nd, 2008, 07:08 AM
AG,I LOVE those little lizards(geckos???)down south,they are such perfect little creatures..

ancientgirl
September 2nd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Yes, that's what they are gecko's. I don't ever chase them out of my apartment. Although, next time I see one I should try catching it and letting it out, since his chances of living with my gang around aren't very good.

Frenchy
September 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Yes, that's what they are gecko's. I don't ever chase them out of my apartment. Although, next time I see one I should try catching it and letting it out, since his chances of living with my gang around aren't very good.

And take pictures ! We wanna see !

14+kitties
September 2nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
I always thought it was crickets in the house that were good luck?

want4rain
September 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
oh oh oh.... Chico2... not sure which ones you are talking about but your vacation spot has several kinds, all are lizards. the green chameleon ones are called Anoles. we have some with stripes and the males have blue blue tails called Skinks. we also have a really spiny one called (or what WE call them anyway) the Horny Toad Lizard... apparentl (http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herps_of_NC/lizards/lizards.html)y its really called a Fence Lizard.

youre probably seeing Anoles on the coast though. i think they all are really great!!

-ashley

chico2
September 2nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Oh,oh I am hijacking Frenchys thread:sorry:but here is a pic of one of the little cuties,not a very good pic though,love these guys:lovestruck:

chico2
September 2nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Ok,here we go..:yell:

Frenchy
September 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
youre probably seeing "A oles" on the coast though.
Oh we have some of them here too :frustrated: :D
Oh,oh I am hijacking Frenchys thread:sorry:

It's ok Chico2 :thumbs up I love little lizards too , but I wouldn't want them in my house , they move too fast for me :eek:

bendyfoot
September 3rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Yay, bugs!:lovestruck: I'm a quasi-entomologist, depending who you ask:D

The mantis is super-cool, one of my fave insects...but never never never try to pick one up, they bite HARD!!! Let it crawl onto your hand on its own and they're fine, though. Really cool, I've probably only seen maybe a dozen wild mantids in my life.

Spiders I can appreciate, as long as they're not ON me:D It's funny, I love all insects but don't reallly care for spiders...unless they're tarrantulas, those are REALLY cool. Weird double standard, I know!

I know I've showed it before,but they live in my basement,sometimes I'll find one in the litterboxes,I am kind enough to let the baby ones live but the 2 inch ones are goners:yell:

Yuck, house centipedes. Creepy gross things I let my cats deal with:yuck: (I know, again with the double standard, but they're not insects either!)

BenMax
September 3rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
I have to agree - I love spiders - never kill them. Infact I even have names for them.

When it gets to be too much I relocate them - ok so I am not normal!

Frenchy
September 3rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I have to agree - I love spiders - never kill them. Infact I even have names for them.

When it gets to be too much I relocate them - ok so I am not normal!

We should start a spider rescue :crazy:

although it may be hard to get them spayed. :p

BenMax
September 3rd, 2008, 12:14 PM
We should start a spider rescue :crazy:

although it may be hard to get them spayed. :p

Can I use you as a foster Frenchy???

bendyfoot
September 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

chico2
September 3rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
I was trimming my hedge the other day and one branch was sticking out,it had a beautiful web attached to it,so I left it.
Hubby said ,you missed one part:laughing:
I said,yeah but the spider is happy:laughing:
One phenomena(sp?) I think is strange,why are the spiders in the basement almost all black and the ones upstairs white???
Wow,that sounds racist doesn't it??? But i am talking about little spiders:laughing:

Frenchy
September 3rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Can I use you as a foster Frenchy???
You bet , but they will be crated for their own safety from the cats and the big dog's paws ..... and I don't leash train. :cool:

One phenomena(sp?) I think is strange,why are the spiders in the basement almost all black and the ones upstairs white???

Because they loose pigmentation when in daylight ? :rolleyes: :D I don't know , I have all colors over here. But for the past 2 summers , one kind is missing :sad: I use to have 1-2 BIG ones with yellow stripes beside the pool. They were awesome !

aslan
September 3rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
now i think you got that backwards, the ones in the basement would turn light due to the lack of daylight.

I hate centipedes, and we have had a few show up in our bedroom, friggen grace can see them in the dark:yuck:.

Spiders are very cool, even poison ones are cool, just preferably far away.:D

Frenchy
September 3rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Spiders are very cool, even poison ones are cool, just preferably far away.:D

Oh and I won't foster any poisonus (sp) ones either :cool: only the cute and social ones :laughing: