Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2am suckling habit ...

Puss'FavPerson
August 30th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Alright, at first I thought it cute that Cookie liked to suckle on my neck. She started this about a week after we got her, so she'd have been about 8wks.

Now, it's becoming a problem. She's been waking up whomever she can get to at 2 am every night, with the suckling thing. And, she's VERY persistent.

If I shut her out of my room, she just goes down the hall and wakes up the kids!
With school coming they need their rest ... me too!

Is she going to outgrow this? Do we all have to shut our doors against her to stop the insanity???

lm9012
September 2nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
I too have this problem with my kitten. Although mine starts at around 5 am. Being a grumpy morning person..half asleep, I have pushed her off me, which I of course feel bad about..once or twice she ended up falling off the bed, which is not my intention!! :sad:

I keep a spray bottle on my nightstand. She gets a spray when she starts..so far that's enough to send her off running. WOrks great anywhere you don't want the cat to go. Unless of course you get the rare cat that likes water! :D

However, like clockwork, every morning there she is..licking wherever she can find skin..the spray will keep her off the rest of the morning. But she 'forgets' 24 hours later!

Puss'FavPerson
September 3rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Well, at this point anything is worth a try! I've had this kitten for 9 weeks, and I don't think I've slept through the night more than twice since then!

I've seen people saying you aren't supposed to let the cat see you spray them ... might give her an anger issue towards me???? Kind of hard to be sneaky about it when she's attached to your throat, eh!

Thanks for your input.:fingerscr