Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens Need Fattening

sammyodd
August 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
my boyfriend and i have adopted 2 orphaned kittens, and they are nothing but bony balls of fur. they really need fattening up. im doing formula and kitten food for the one that actually eats and having to force feed the other from a syringe. am i going about this the wrong way? one is very sickly and i feed him a little bit every 2 hours. is there any way to perk these little guys up?

14+kitties
August 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM
How old are the kittens? Have they been to a vet? They should go and get checked. Most likely they have worms. If one is sickly you should most definetely have it looked after.
At very young ages they need to be fed every two hours. Night time too. Once they get to be 5 weeks or so they can start to be weaned off the formula (if they will eat the kitten food). Make sure it is a good quality kitten food to help put weight on.
The most important thing is to get the kittens to a vet!
Good Luck. Let us know what happens. :thumbs up

sammyodd
August 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM
they are about a month old. and yeah, i feed them every 2 hours, at night too. and when they meow. but i leave whiska's kitten food and formula for when they are in their play pen. and thanks for the advice. right now, the sickly one has a huge little belly on it from where i have been feeding them. they are so cute. and thanks for the advice, i will keep you posted!

14+kitties
August 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM
The round little belly is probably from worms. The vet will give you worm meds to administer. Please don't buy the crap from stores. It will not work and may end up harming your kitties.
Are they peeing and pooing with no problems? If they had their mommy she would have been stimulating the glands in the genital area with her tongue in order to get them started. Don't worry! You don't have to do that! A warm (not hot), slightly rough washcloth applied to their genitals and anus will get them going.
Please get them in to see the vet. They will give you tons and tons of love for many years to come if treated properly now.
And btw, thank you for adopting these little orphans.

sammyodd
August 30th, 2008, 08:03 PM
ok, i will get the kittens to a vet as soon as i can. but my vet emergency service wont page the vet unless there'e a record of them as patients, and i got them yesterday afternoon. maybe you can help me though...they used the bathroom yesterday without any stimulation. and they havent used it today. should i be stimulating them in order to get them to go potty?:confused:

kathryn
August 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Don't use Whiskas! Please! I do not trust their kitten milk especially!

Use KMR brand. It's MUCH better.

http://video.zootoo.com/prod/5000/thumbs175/prod_5001.jpg

Erm, that's about all the info i have right now. Take them to the vets. I foster and rescue kittens all the time... PM me if you want anymore help. Everyone else has already covered what I would say though.

onster
August 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM
ok, i will get the kittens to a vet as soon as i can. but my vet emergency service wont page the vet unless there'e a record of them as patients, and i got them yesterday afternoon. maybe you can help me though...they used the bathroom yesterday without any stimulation. and they havent used it today. should i be stimulating them in order to get them to go potty?:confused:

depends on how old they are. If they already went on their own before and are actually eating solid food already I would imagine they dont need the stimulation. Howwver, until someone more knowledgeable comes along, it wouldnt hurt to stimulate them to poo/pee as suggested.

sammyodd
August 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM
yay! they pooped solids! also, i use whiska's kitten chow, and hartz formula. i was in a rush and got what i could from the local wal-mart. i know, its not the best, but they are pooping solids and eating, so thank goodness for that! and thanks all, i will keep you posted on their success!

sammyodd
August 30th, 2008, 09:12 PM
where can you get KMR?

14+kitties
August 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM
If you have a Petco or another good pet store nearby you should be able to get the KMR there.

I found a couple of sites which may explain things a little better. Hope it helps.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_orphan_kittens.html

http://www.cathelp-online.com/health/kitten1.php

This one is interesting too.....

http://www.munchlets.com/handraising.htm

sammyodd
August 30th, 2008, 10:27 PM
thank you so much for your advice. those websites really helped. and the closest pet store like that is 2-1/2 hours away. i live in southwest georgia. we're lucky if we get a wal-mart. =] but seriously, those websites helped a lot. i will look around at the smaller pet stores to see if they have KMR. also, i was looking at the weight average for the kittens, they should weight about 8-10 ounces. they weigh MAYBE 4. poor little guys. both are male. and the sickly one was actually purring earlier. they are both putting on a little weight. but i need to get de-wormer from the vet. i have a feeling half the nutrition goes to worms. but they will be little fat kittens before i know it. :D again. thanks for all the advice. it is really helping.

14+kitties
August 30th, 2008, 10:33 PM
The one site said you should be able to get the KMR at the vets too. I live in Canada. I am not even sure we have that brand. I use a different one when I have to supplement mom. It is Nutrience Transition. I found it at a little pet store too. We don't have any bigger ones where I live either.
Good luck again with the little ones. :fingerscr

sammyodd
August 31st, 2008, 06:32 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o39/sammyodd/IMG_2887.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o39/sammyodd/IMG_2886.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o39/sammyodd/IMG_2885.jpg

sammyodd
August 31st, 2008, 06:34 PM
tiger is the orange one, and felix is the black one. felix is a handful, but so cute. and tiger is really mellow. tiger is the sickly one, but he is getting better.:)

ancientgirl
August 31st, 2008, 07:14 PM
They are precious!!!

Bless you for rescuing these two little babies. You've gotten some great advice.

I noticed you mentioned you used Hartz on them. I'd be very careful, I would not trust that brand for anything. Hopefully you can get them to the vet and get proper medication.

Once they start eating solids, try to find a really good kitten food. Wellness has a grain free formula for kittens.

I love the name Felix! I almost named Vlad Felix, and it was my grandfather's name.

14+kitties
August 31st, 2008, 10:26 PM
Oh my! How cute!! :lovestruck: They are so tiny. Tiger almost looks red in the pics. So adorable!!

onster
August 31st, 2008, 10:35 PM
omg theyre sooo cute!!! I cant help but fall for orange kities :lovestruck:

thanks for rescuing them :angel:

kathryn
August 31st, 2008, 10:39 PM
AWW they are adorable!

http://www.hartzvictims.org/2008/07/25/do-not-feed-hartz-milk-replacement-for-kittens/

yeah Hartz is bad and Whiskas is bad. I'm not trying to scare you, just educating you :) I really am happy to see that you care enough to help out the two little kittens!

Maybe you could try ordering KMR offline if you still need it? I really love KMR it's always worked for me. I use Whiskas one time for before I started getting involved in all this stuff with rescuing and fostering and well, the kitten never made it. Long and horribly sad story that I've actually never really told anyone about before. It wasn't Whiskas milks fault at all, it's just I've come along way and learned alot and I would never recommend Whiskas milk. It's sub-par.

sammyodd
September 1st, 2008, 08:02 PM
well, i have bad news for everyone. tiger didn't make it. :rip: i blame myself for not getting what they needed. i tried so hard to get him to make it. but now, he's resting. but he was doing so well. :sad: and then today, he just starts acting funny and he just stops responding to anything i did. :sad: he didnt put on weight like felix, and he had a lot more fleas than the other one as well. :wall: RIP Tiger, I'll miss you. Y'know, it's funny how one can get so attached to them after only caring for them for only 4 days. felix is still doing very well. he keeps getting bigger and more mischievous every day. i will keep all posted on his success. he has actually started eating soft kitten food mixed with kitten kibble. but i got a recipe off of the internet for formula, and continuing to give that to him every 4 hours. and he still takes that. well, i will let everyone know about how his visit to the vet goes and picture on how he continues to grow.

ancientgirl
September 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
I'm so sorry Tiger didn't make it. What a little angel he was. He may have just been not as strong as his brother.

RIP Tiger:sad:

sammyodd
September 1st, 2008, 11:09 PM
switched over to purina kitten chow and fancy feast canned food and a home-made formula that seems to be working wonders. 1/2 cup whole milk, 1 drop multi-vitamin drops, and 1 egg yolk. off to the vet tomorrow. he's getting healthier all the time. thanks to all of your advice, i still have one little angel.

14+kitties
September 1st, 2008, 11:23 PM
:rip: Tiger :candle: So sad :sad:

If you can afford to feed a better quality food to Felix, please do. Purina kitten chow is not a good food. Neither is Fancy Feast. They are filled with by products, corn and grains. None of which are good for kittens/cats.
Wellness makes a fantastic kitten food. So does Eagle Pack.

There is some great info here......

http://www.catinfo.org/

I really hope Felix continues to improve. :goodvibes:

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Please DO NOT give you kitty any cow's milk, it can cause bloating, diarrhea and dehydration very quickly in a kitten.

This kitten really need a quality Kitten Milk Replacer and quality food, even one meal of human grade meat along with some canned cat food until you can get something better. The Fancy Feast, grain free varieties are not as bad as other cat foods in the grocery store (especially if you are giving them some human meat too, no cooked bones of course)

Good luck with your kitten.

14+kitties
September 2nd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Please DO NOT give you kitty any cow's milk, it can cause bloating, diarrhea and dehydration very quickly in a kitten.

Darn, I missed the whole milk part! L4H is right! No cow's milk! It is not safe. A lot of cats are lactose intolerant. Kitties would be more so. I know you see all those old commercials or pictures of farmers milking cows and aiming the teat toward the eagerly waiting cats. Or at least I remember them. But the downside to those kitties getting the milk they love is all the things that L4H mentioned. The mother's milk replacer is the best you can give your kitten.

sammyodd
September 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
ok. well, he eats mostly wet canned food anyway. i put LITTLE dry food in with it. i know its not good for his teeth, eating a lot of dry food at his age. but i mix it in there so the canned food wont leave a lot of tarter build up on his little teeth, as we all know this leads to liver problems. and he only gets the milk maybe 2 times a day, now that he has fattened up some. i can barely feel his back bone now. :)and he has a lot more energy as well. and he poops solids, and he has at least 5 poops a day, so i don't think the milk is doing TOO badly for him. :shrug: and he's so playful. at first, he was lethargic, but now that he has put some weight on, has food, and shelter, he's doing so much better.
i don't know what happened to his mom. she was a stray we fed and she hung around a lot, and then she just stopped showing up, and then when she showed back up, she was very pregnant. And then she disappeared again. about 2 weeks later, she wasn't carrying the kittens anymore. then she left again, and this time, it was a month later, and we still havent seen her, but the kittens were just lying in the yard under the truck. so we picked them up and brought them inside. and they were so skinny, like she wasn't feeding them. i dont know where she went. we got a lot of rain from hurricane gustav, and thats when the kittens showed up, but no sign of Rosie. thats what we called her, but she wouldnt let us pick her up, only let us pet her when we fed her. otherwsie, we would have.
anywho, thanks to all the advice and websites. they have been very enlightening. i will keep you posted on how little felix is doing. BTW, we are thinking about changing his name to loki, like the god of mischief in norse mythology. he's just so funny.
i am going to post a new thread labeled "Felix's Progress," in case you guys want to keep up with his progress. thank all of you for your support, advice, thoughts, and help in raising them.i just wish Tiger would have made it too. :sad::rip:

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Glad to hear loki is gaining weight :thumbs up.

BrightEyes
September 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Hurray! that Loki is doing well. He's one lucky kitty for certain. And a :candle: for Tiger. Sounds like he just didn't have enough energy for get up over the hurdle.