Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with my two cats!

MeekaKiprusoff
August 29th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hi there!

We bought our youngest cat on June 10th of this year, and she's still a kitten. We have two other cats in the house already, so when we introduced Meeka to Pascale (the second cat), Pascale emediatly hissed and tried batting at her. We thought because Meeka was young and a new addition to the family that it would stop after a short while.

Since we brought Meeka home we've had to lock her in my bed room while no one is home because Pascale has not stopped attacking her. She will corner her and get right on top of her. We're not sure if Pascale is hurting her, but there is a lot of noise when these attacks happen. There have been instances where Meeka has pooped on the carpet and most recently peed on my mom's bay window because Pascale was on top of her.

Meeka has claws while the other two do not have them in the front, and we thought Meeka would fight back once she got a bit bigger, but this is not the case. She just hunkers down on the floor and lets Pascale attack her.

What can we do? We don't want to get rid of either one of them, but obviously this behavior can not keep happening. How do we get Meeka to stand up for herself, or how do we stop Pascale from attacking her? We've though of using a water pistol and shooting Pascale with water every time she attacks Meeka, but we're not sure this will help!

What do you guys suggest? We need a solution to the problem without getting rid of either of them!!!

aslan
August 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
welcome to the forum, i personally don't have cats, but one of our kitty guru's will be along shortly to give you a hand.

Frenchy
August 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
We've though of using a water pistol and shooting Pascale with water every time she attacks Meeka, but we're not sure this will help!

That's what I would do :o

14+kitties
August 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Cats are territorial beings. They do not like new things in their territory.

Did you do a slow introduction with them? Keeping them separated in different rooms for about a week or more (if needed), letting them sniff under the door at each other, exchanging blankets they have slept on with each other to get to know the smells of the others, using a crate,carrier?

If not, it should be done now. Basically you are going to start all over again as if you never intruduced the cats. Hopefully the damage hasn't already been done. :fingerscr
There are lots of threads on this site where this problem is talked about. I will point you to a few of them.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53423&highlight=introducing+cats

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51205&highlight=introducing+cats

This is a site which talks about alternative ways to introduce cats.

http://www.vetontheweb.co.uk/pet-clinic-detail.asp?id=471

http://www.catsinternational.org/articles/getting_a_cat/good_introduction.html

Hopefully this will help give you some insight as to what you can do to make the transition to a happy household possible.

MeekaKiprusoff
August 29th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Pascale sometimes sleeps next to Meeka on the bed. She'll be totally normal for a bit and then out of the blue she'll dive bomb Meeka. I don't see how introducing the cats again will help because Pascale attacks the older cat as well. When this happened with the older cat we thought it was because Spud was older.

We're totally at a loss as to what to do!

kathryn
August 30th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Pascale is just a :censored: then sometimes :laughing: Cat's don't have to make sense.

My aunts cat is aggressive as well with the same story where the nice kitty will be sleeping and they could be cuddling and the next minute mean kitty starts a fight.

I was told to buy a Feliway diffuser. I'm going to Petco today and will have to check it out there. Maybe you can get one of those??

BrightEyes
August 30th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I had just replied in your introductory thread, asking if Pascale was male, but I see she is not..... so there's that info out the window. And Marilyn's right...cats don't have to make sense...nope, not one bit. :laughing:

The water pistol sounds great...I had suggested in your other thread that you try a spray bottle, and be consistent. Pascale may never learn, but at least it will break up the action when you see it happening. And now she's the "middle" child... lordy, lordy... :frustrated: