Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adding A 2nd Dog?

Praellwyn
August 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hi!

I am thinking of getting a 2nd dog to be a play-mate for my 6 yr old Bulli, Scarlet. Because her front legs are 3 inches shorter than her back legs she has difficulty moving in our nearby dog run. It is graveled & unlike on grass she can't run & rarely moves so she is either ignored (more often) or attacked, depending on the dog :sad:. She has a page on DogBook & on Dogster but it isn't easy to find dogs who will play with her. On the grass in the N.D.G. park she will play with other dogs but I can't risk a $300 fine. There is 1 gentleman (who shall remain nameless) accross the street from the parc who regularly complains to the point where security is always in the parc & sometimes enters the dog run to "supervise" the dogs.

My current super & landlord are fond of Scarlet & since the building is overflowing with dogs adding another won't be a problem. I know about www.petfinder.com & I am considering a dog from the same breeder as Scarlet. Her health problems come from her mother (Ontario' s Wattsbulldogz, formerly Mr. Chippy's Kennels - now vanished). I got her from her father's breeder's (Quebec' s Elevage Mr. Magoo - 12 yrs in operation, good show rep + I know some of their Bullis - great health still). Given what Scarlet's gone thru (both back legs were found to be deformed so I had them reconstructed, allergies, meds side-affects etc) they offered another either Bulli, French Bulli, or Pug pup + all expenses for the 1st 2 yrs. I am considering this.

She is lonely (no joke :sad:) & the few times that I can risk letting her play on the grass aren't enough (a few times a year). Pulling her in her wagon to the Penfield parc (a full city block willed for the exclusive use as a dog run! & completely grass!) takes about 2 hours round-trip so it's not often that we go. Having a friend would improve her life immensely & stop things like pulling otwards the rare foot trffic in the hopes of attention. It is also the only reason that we go to the N.D.G. dog run. Se needs more. I am thinking of a Frenchie pup, to easily share her wagon + more substantial than a Pug.

Any thoughts? Even asking for play-dates on this site just hooks up other dogs :shrug: I have thried EVERYTHING to find her play-dates but they are mainlt hyper-active or toy dogs in our area. :wall:

I am aware of the risks involved with said breeds but they of the nearly 30 Bullis we have met in Montreal (Westmount $$$) not one has her health issues. Fluke? A puppy or young dog would be better than an older dog for Scarlet.

P.S. I am not rich to pay for her surgeries. I just put off university for a few yrs. SCarlet is more important. Hence no car or house etc. I am also thing of having them pay for an adoptable dog or another breeder's litter pick. I realise the importance of rescueing as many defenseless creatures as possible ( Scarlet is my 1st pure-breed) but also her favorite breeds are Pitts, Boxers, Royale Poodles, Dobes, Rotts etc. See a pattern? I want a staffie & she wants a cat so this is a compromise + the apt. is TINY.

Another dog wouldn't be just a dog for Scarlet but an addition to our family (she & I).

want4rain
August 29th, 2008, 05:01 PM
you thought about adopting an older, lazy dog?? im thinking something big enough to walk with you but not so active that her physical dimensions will prove a problem.

-ash

clm
August 29th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I think I would lean towards an older dog as well instead of a puppy. You could look into a rescue dog, or even the breeder you got her from may have an older dog they want to place.

Cindy

Praellwyn
August 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Hi!

Scarlet would fare better w/ a youngish dog since the pt. is to find someone she can play with, hence the small/med. size range. Training a puppy wouldn't be that hard for me, & I KNOW that there are plenty of older dogs looking for their forever homes but Scarlet needs a play-mate, & not a sleep-mate. :p :pawprint:

Frenchy
August 30th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Rescues have young dogs too , and you would be able to know what kind of temperment they have before adopting them. Your dog could also meet the other dog before adoption , to make sure they click. :shrug:

Praellwyn
September 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hi!

I thought that there would be more input :sad:.

BenMax
September 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Ok - I will give you some input.

Since I noticed you are in the Montreal area, I do know that there are many rescue groups and even the SPCA for that matter that will let you foster a dog with an 'option to adopt'.

This is a perfect way to find out whether or not you want the added responsibility and if infact your dog is ok with it.

The only thing is, if you decide you cannot or do not want to adopt, you keep that dog with you until he/she does infact finds his/her forever home. It is a committment but you will find it equally rewarding.

So there you have it. You have options, and I think that this may be your solutions. There are many fine organizations in this area which unfortunately I am not permitted to publically anounce. If you want to know more, you can PM me or maybe other rescues that are here will PM you with an animal that they have that requires foster care/re-homing.

All rescues and the SPCA are very good. In my mind, no matter who you are, if you take care of the animals that require re-homing - then there really should be nothing bad said!

Now start googling girl and foster an animal in need. Good luck.

Love4himies
September 5th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Good idea to foster, BenMax :thumbs up. Best way to find out how compatible two dogs are before making the life long commitment.

MommaKat
September 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Foster is a really good idea.You could get an older dog but one from a more energetic breed, I know a lot of terriers and chihahuas even at 3 or 5 are still quite energetic. Good luck with her, she looks like a lovely girl:).