Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Microchipping

JennieV
August 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you has an idea aboutmicrochipping costs, I would like to have some range of prices before I speak to my vet about it.

Thanks!!
:D

Chris21711
August 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
As far as I know Jennie it varies from place to place, but it is well worth it whatever the cost. I know some folks might think otherwise, but a couple of years ago we found a Pittie tied-up to one of our trees in the front of the house when we came out in the morning (lots of folks know my daughter works at the spca), if he hadn't have been chipped he would no longer be here.

JennieV
August 29th, 2008, 12:14 PM
:confused: Another little question/problem...I just called my vet and they don't microchip :sad:...And she didnt know who does. :sad::sad: Tried calling SPCA, no answer:yell:...Can anyone from the Montreal area help me find a place? :pray: :shrug:

Praellwyn
August 29th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Hi!

Have you tried the Montreal SPCA? They may chip. Their # is (514)-735-2711. Le refuge (located in the same building as the SPCA) on Jean-talon & Decarie next to the Namur metro station does chip, I think. Plus it would be the same chip co. as the SPCA uses. www.24petwatch.com. It is $15-$20 to open a file & is cheaper than regular vets so there may be a wait for an appt. 24PetWatch registers all of Canada's chip manufacturers & maintains a Canada-wide list + a 24/7 recovery toll-free # & also offers individual profile pages like www.getmehome.ca (rabies shot provider) + pet insurance. They also have a $19.99/yr emergency vet care plan that covers up to $3,000!!! if Fido is found & needs emergency vet care. My rescued Bulli, Scarlet was chipped by her breeders & so when I discovered 24PetWatch I was very impressed. Withina week of calling them & giving them her code I had a comfirmation letter + a plastic 24PetWatch tag inc. her chip manufacturer.

Good Luck! :thumbs up

krdahmer
August 29th, 2008, 02:53 PM
My vet charges $40, but was doing it for free a few years back if you came in for a check-up/vaccines, so I got all 6 done for free, and it was free to register with 24 Petwatch too. Good luck getting it done... after our excitement over a lost cat here as of late, I am so glad I had all of mine done! It's still important for them to wear collars too though-(not sure if you were asking for a cat or dog having a bout of some-timers here) as that is what is seen first and if your vet doesn't chip, I imagine they don't have the equipment to read the chips either as some places still don't.

Masha
August 29th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Our cat was microchipped for under 40$, but it was a few years back. We microchipped of dog a few months ago and it was about 60 (dont remember the exact amount as it was at the same time as his neuter so it blended in with the 500 dollar bill... ) in toronto the majority of vet clinics microchip.

happycats
August 29th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I paid $50.00. But I think they have $20.00 one's at rescue fund raisers

Ehrman
October 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM
:confused: Another little question/problem...I just called my vet and they don't microchip :sad:...And she didnt know who does. :sad::sad: Tried calling SPCA, no answer:yell:...Can anyone from the Montreal area help me find a place? :pray: :shrug:
getmehome.ca is run by the company Merial Canada Inc which is based out of Montreal. They primarily make rabies vaccines, but I'm sure the customer service representatives at getmehome.ca would know where to get one considering that the website is all about registering them. Why don't you try calling them and asking their number is:

Merial Customer Service @ 1-888-637-4251 ext. 6040
from Monday to Friday between 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern Time

or call a microchip company directly such as:

24petwatch @ 1-866-597-2424

Microchip4Solutions (M4S ID) @ 1.877.738.4384

good luck

totallyhip
October 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM
All 3 of us are microchipped. I believe our vet charged about $40 or so for it. Our rescue does it for about $20 on fundraising days.

MommaKat
October 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM
24petwatch I think is the biggest Microchip company in Canada (tends to be most shelters favorite anyways). You could try emailing or calling them to see what places in your area does micro chipping for them? As for prices, my vet charges $40, I can't see Vets charging more than $60 for it.

Love4himies
October 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Mine charges $80

MommaKat
October 28th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Mine charges $80

:o :p:whistle:

Uhh..umm I stand corrected then :laughing:

JennieV
November 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
So I finally got to speak to the clinic Le Refuge, the one that is next to SPCA. To microchip costs $55+taxes. Need to book an appointment.
:thumbs up
Bringing Sparky on Wednesday for his microchip! :D

duttypaws
November 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I think i was about $60 at my vet in NDG. (not including visiting fee)
I think its worth it :) Im with Pet Watch and that reminds me I have to change their details or people will think they swam the Atlantic to the UK!