Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone know about ear taping?

bendyfoot
August 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I know our new pup Heidi is a mixed breed dog (boston terrier), and I'm not usually one for cosmetic-y stuff for dogs...that said, I've been thinking about taping her ears to acheive "uppies" instead of the floppy tips she has now. I don't think the ears are going to go up on their own...they fold about 2/3 of the way to the top. I'm thinking about it partially because of the hygeine factor (we're used to dogs with prick ears and like that they're less prone to infection) and also because truthfully I :lovestruck: the look of prick ears on bostons.

Any advice, suggestions, thoughts? Note: I'm NOT talking about surgical cropping, just taping.

pitgrrl
August 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I don't think it's possible to achieve full prick ears by taping them. "Training" them to, for example, not flop over the head is one thing, but if the cartilage isn't thick enough to hold them up.......well you see what I'm saying.

A note of ear infections though, I don't think Heidi should be any more prone to them than your other dogs. I've often heard this idea that cropped ears, for example, are less prone to infection and yet anecdotally, the opposite seems to be true. I'd wager it has a lot more to do with diet, allergy type issues, etc. than anything else when we're talking about dogs without really extreme ears.:shrug:

ETA: if you're really, really determined to try it though, here's a tutorial with photos (for great danes after a crop, but it should give you an idea):

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/how_to_tape_ears_text.htm

Lise
August 28th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Ear carriage doesn't cause a dog to be more or less prone to ear problems.The shape and depth of the ear canal,allergies,very hairy ears,diet can all cause problems.Out of our three Molly our cairn with prick ears has problems at least once a year.Tess a beardie and Nell a collie have never had an ear problem(now that I've said this they will probably all start)People use hygene as a reason to crop and it's just not true.Also give your pup time before you start taping ear carriage changes naturally for the first year or so.

Chris21711
August 29th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Neither of our two Basset's have ever had an ear infection (9 and 4) and you don't get many dogs with ears longer than theirs.