Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

feral kitten age 5 months

soccerbabi67
August 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM
i just adopted a kitten from a guy who rescues cats off the street, she was between 1-2 months old when he first rescued her off the street and i just got her about 2 and half weeks. the first week she took off into the crawl spaces and came out to eat and go potty, then we caught her and she warmed up a little bit, i went away for a week and my parents took care of her and she took off back into the crawl spaces, she is extremely smart, she watches me move around in the mirror. my mom caught her by hand and the cat bit and scratched my mom up pretty bad. she plays and comes up to me in my room without hissing but when i bring her to the downstairs she gets aggressive. we have a dog and cat, the other cat is about 1 1/2 years old and the dog is 9, the other cat will hiss and growl and the kitten goes right back at her with the hissing the dog just sniffs and walks away. she hisses at me and growls when i try to pick her up to bring her back upstairs but once i have up there she is fine no hissing or aggression. how do i break her of the aggression when downstairs and how do i get both cats to interact.

14+kitties
August 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM
soccerbabi67 - welcome to the BB! Lots of useful info here. Stick around. :thumbs up
Most important thing. Have you taken the new kitty to the vet to make sure she has no diseases she could pass on?
I have added a few links to past posts about introducing cats so as not to repeat info again. There is a ton of useful stuff in these posts by a lot of very knowledgeable people. It's lots of interesting reading! :thumbs up

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51185&highlight=introducing+cats

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53423&highlight=introducing+cats

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47999&highlight=introducing+cats

The aggression when she is downstairs with you and around the other pets in the house is because she is in a new, unfamiliar area with other animals she has not been properly introduced to. She, quite simply, is scared. Some ferals, will show aggression when cornered or when feeling intimidated. She will need lots of patience, lots of love, and a slow introduction to the other pets in the house.

kathryn
August 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I've tamed feral kittens before. You have to catch them early on though! Umm it's really weird that she was rescued at 1-2 months old and is still showing aggression and fear. At this point I would recommend going to the vet. I rescue kittens off the streets allllll the time and usually it takes less then a week to turn a feral kitten into a lovable little house cat. It's not hard at all if you catch them before they turn about 3 months old.

Something does not sound right here. By this time she should have been 100% tame but slightly nervous. I think you need to go to the vet ASAP because I deal with this stuff all the time and she should have settled down by now and there is no reason for her being a kitten to still be freaking out... and aggressive! That's a bad sign. Nervousness and being a bit scared is normal for a kitten in a new situation, but there is no way she should be aggressive AT ALL. That is also not a good sign she is showing people aggression.

Someone's timeline must be off. She probably is alot older then you would think but is small because she was malnourished (it does happen... i have a good example of that outback with a kitten being half the size of her brother and sister)

Would you happen to have a picture? Like showing her size. That way I can better estimate her age.

I really do know what I am talking about with this and can tell you it is extremely rare for a YOUNG feral kitten to not be tamed within a matter of a week or two.

soccerbabi67
August 26th, 2008, 11:27 PM
took her to vet already, shes all clean...and the vet said about 4 months and she is not a small cat at all i actually thought she was older...but the vet said about 15 weeks and 4 and half pounds...me and my mom thought she was tooo skinny.... the guy kept her in carriar away from people and she is fine when its one on one in my room upstairs...and she only attacked my mom when my mom grabbed her out of the storage...when i first brought her downstairs she sat on the couch and wouldnt move now she will get up and play and move around but as soon as anyone approaches her she gets all nervous and when i finally pick her up her little heart beats sooooo fast......i figure its fear the hissing and growling and scratching but how do i get her past it...and she only comes out during the day when im around in the room other wise she hides..she is very lovey and playful in my room with no aggression...still a little skittish when i move to fast but i figure its her age and still getting used to so much room.....she rolls over on her back for me to play with her and throws herself against me in bed and sleeps under my pillows or ontop of the pillow....just downstairs where she shows aggression....

soccerbabi67
August 26th, 2008, 11:38 PM
heres alley my brat

kathryn
August 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Wow she's really big... My kittens are 4 months at the moment and barely 4 pounds and are much smaller then that. Umm really at this point just let time heal her and she will come around eventually. She's too big to do what I usually do which is hug them for long periods of time to get them to come around. It's kinda weird but I dunno it always works.

14+kitties
August 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM
took her to vet already, shes all clean...and the vet said about 4 months and she is not a small cat at all i actually thought she was older...but the vet said about 15 weeks and 4 and half pounds...me and my mom thought she was tooo skinny.... the guy kept her in carriar away from people and she is fine when its one on one in my room upstairs...and she only attacked my mom when my mom grabbed her out of the storage...when i first brought her downstairs she sat on the couch and wouldnt move now she will get up and play and move around but as soon as anyone approaches her she gets all nervous and when i finally pick her up her little heart beats sooooo fast......i figure its fear the hissing and growling and scratching but how do i get her past it...and she only comes out during the day when im around in the room other wise she hides..she is very lovey and playful in my room with no aggression...still a little skittish when i move to fast but i figure its her age and still getting used to so much room.....she rolls over on her back for me to play with her and throws herself against me in bed and sleeps under my pillows or ontop of the pillow....just downstairs where she shows aggression....

The poor thing is terrified! She has no socialization skills with other cats if she was locked up in a carrier. She needs to spend lots of time with you, your mom, and other people. You need to be careful not to startle her. She will attack if startled. That is a cat's nature. Other animals run, cats/kittens attack.
Did you read any of the threads I gave you? That will give you a good start on getting her off on the right foot.
She is a beauty!! :cloud9:

soccerbabi67
August 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
its not that shes big and bulky shes soo long and tall. and a healthy eater might i add. she play fights with me and what not as long as its on her terms, i get on the floor with her she takes off at first then comes back and rolls onto her back to play and when she realizes shes biting too hard she will start licking, so im hoping in time of bringing her downstairs with the family all around she will warm up to the family like she did me in my room. she currently is crawling in my lap and nudgin me to pet her and she love to lick me..and i almost have her on my sleep schedule haha...i try and keep her up during the day this way she will sleep at night like the rest of the family and other pets...thanks for your advice and articles, im just going to give her time