Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Agility :)

babymomma
August 26th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Hi guys! Do anybody know where i can get cheap agility equipment (well not cheap but affordable, I have to pay for it all myself and thats ahrd for a 15 year old that only works 3 days a week) I just need the basics for now, like the tunnels,weave poles, jumps, tire jump(I'll need the A frame and the seesaw thing later down the road) Or if anybody has plans for a do it yourself kinda thing it would work too! My dad is a carpenter so im sure he could build it, but seems he doesnt know anything about agility he'll need the plans! lol I know i can build the pause table on my own, thats pretty well basic hammer skills..lol..

Thanks alot,

Jessica:cool: and Keely:dog:

kigndano
August 26th, 2008, 01:13 PM
i dont have advice for that, but i do have some other advice.

work on basic OB a lot before you try agility, i hear that foundation training is key before you plunge into agility.

good luck:thumbs up

babymomma
August 26th, 2008, 01:17 PM
i dont have advice for that, but i do have some other advice.

work on basic OB a lot before you try agility, i hear that foundation training is key before you plunge into agility.

good luck:thumbs up

I will definatly work on Basic OB training first... Im not starting agility until she is at least a year old. I figure if i start buying the equipment now and buy 1 prop each month it wont be feel like its putting such a dent into my bank account..lol But If i could build it all (except for tunnels and chutes) i could save a whole bunch of money!

I would join like a agility class with her and use the clubs equipment once a week, but there are no classes or clubs in my area, i would have to drive 4 hours to do that:sad:

mollywog
August 26th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I agree with kigndano. Solid obedience skills are key before you begin agility. So stuff like sit, wait, down, and rock solid recall skills should be in place before you start agility. Also, most trainers recommend waiting until the dog is at least 18 months old (full grown basically) before starting certain things like jumping or other agility activities.
In the meantime, start practicing basic obedience, and expose your puppy to as many new things as you can. then when you do start agility, she won't get freaked out by things like teeters, tunnels etc.

babymomma
August 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I agree with kigndano. Solid obedience skills are key before you begin agility. So stuff like sit, wait, down, and rock solid recall skills should be in place before you start agility. Also, most trainers recommend waiting until the dog is at least 18 months old (full grown basically) before starting certain things like jumping or other agility activities.
In the meantime, start practicing basic obedience, and expose your puppy to as many new things as you can. then when you do start agility, she won't get freaked out by things like teeters, tunnels etc.

Read previous post;)

BusterKitty
August 26th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I don't really know much about agility but I saw a thread where the OP started making jumps and stuff using boards, milk boxes, and random stuff around the house. I'll try to find it for you! (But it was a while ago and i don't even know what the thread's called:rolleyes: )

babymomma
August 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I don't really know much about agility but I saw a thread where the OP started making jumps and stuff using boards, milk boxes, and random stuff around the house. I'll try to find it for you! (But it was a while ago and i don't even know what the thread's called:rolleyes: )

Thanks Buster kitty!!:D That would be a HUGE help!!:thumbs up

jessi76
August 26th, 2008, 01:58 PM
there really is much more to agility than meets the eye. There is ALOT of training involved. If this is something you want to pursue, you'll certainly need to do basic obedience first, and work up to agility. as others said, you must wait until the dog is old enough before doing any agility course obstacles.

Lissa is a member on this forum, and I know she's been doing agility w/ her dog Dodger for a while now. She has ALOT of great info if it's something you're interested in. I'm sure if you PM her she'd be happy to share helpful book recommendations, links, and other resources.

allymack
August 26th, 2008, 02:26 PM

That would be me ! :D

Yupp i used milk crate to make jump ( with broom handles to make the bar which he actually jumps over), but you will need something much much lower, hmm, ok, so get a broom handle and start bhy getting her to walk over it,( get her used to the idea of going over it) then for height, hmmm, when your ready for height, try using two pop cans, one at each end, that wont be too high by the itme she is full grown, atleast i dont think it will. i havent found anything for a tunnel yet. For a pause tabel we had our roof done earlier this year and it came on a crate table tpe of thing so i just used that, but thats not too hard to make anyways. hmm, from the tire jump type hting, i have a hoola hoop..i found it at the field a while back and left it there for a few days and no one took it so i decided to re home it :D but we havent started with that yet, you could also use a hoola hoop, just keep it lower to the ground. umm, for weave poles i have a whole bunch of little pylons i use, just to get him used to the idea of weaving through the object when i say weave, i am thinking of try to find some cheap poles at a store ( dollar store?) and then put those in the ground.

I would love to take him to agily classes, but that isnt an option right now with the way he bahves with other dogs, so we are doing what we can...

if i htink of anyhting else, i'll let you know, also if you have any idea, we would love it if you would share! :D

Gail P
August 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Here's the thread Busterkitty was referring to. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54972 I made a couple of suggestions on there too. I also have a few pictures of the stuff I made in my photobucket album if interested in seeing pics.

allymack
August 26th, 2008, 03:27 PM
ou, i would love to see the equiment you made/use gail i like to have lots of ideas to work with..

babymomma
August 26th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Here's the thread Busterkitty was referring to. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54972 I made a couple of suggestions on there too. I also have a few pictures of the stuff I made in my photobucket album if interested in seeing pics.

Thanks for the link! I am definatly interested in looking at your photos!!

babymomma
August 26th, 2008, 03:35 PM
That would be me ! :D

Yupp i used milk crate to make jump ( with broom handles to make the bar which he actually jumps over), but you will need something much much lower, hmm, ok, so get a broom handle and start bhy getting her to walk over it,( get her used to the idea of going over it) then for height, hmmm, when your ready for height, try using two pop cans, one at each end, that wont be too high by the itme she is full grown, atleast i dont think it will. i havent found anything for a tunnel yet. For a pause tabel we had our roof done earlier this year and it came on a crate table tpe of thing so i just used that, but thats not too hard to make anyways. hmm, from the tire jump type hting, i have a hoola hoop..i found it at the field a while back and left it there for a few days and no one took it so i decided to re home it :D but we havent started with that yet, you could also use a hoola hoop, just keep it lower to the ground. umm, for weave poles i have a whole bunch of little pylons i use, just to get him used to the idea of weaving through the object when i say weave, i am thinking of try to find some cheap poles at a store ( dollar store?) and then put those in the ground.

I would love to take him to agily classes, but that isnt an option right now with the way he bahves with other dogs, so we are doing what we can...

if i htink of anyhting else, i'll let you know, also if you have any idea, we would love it if you would share! :D

Thanks soooooo much ally!!!!! For weave poles, i think im just gfoing to hget my dad to saw up some scrap wood and push them into the ground like you would a tent pole! I have some old bike tires so maybe my dad can build a frame and bolt the tire on to that and use that. I have a clothes hamper that that in 3 feet long that is just like the proper tunnels, only the material isnt as quality (the hampers that fold up into a circle, do you no what im talking about?) Im going to buy a few of them and put them together with duct tape or wire ties or something. And my dad can make a pause table from some scrap wood he has left over from building houses. I didnt know i had so many ideas until i started this thread...lol!! Thanks to al of you that helped me!!

allymack
August 26th, 2008, 03:42 PM
good thinking with those hampers! i know exactly what you are talking about! plus that way you can start with a small one so she learns to go through it in small steps!:thumbs up

Spatx
August 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Ohh, this is something I know lots about :lightbulb:

I built my own equipment - they are smaller than competition pieces, but perfect for home practice. I just started teaching my BC puppy Nova some of the basics, like getting used to the teeter, dog walk, tunnels, jumps (set at 4" so she can walk over them). My Aussie busted my weave poles, he weaves a bit too hard and they fell apart so I'm hoping to rebuild them more sturdy.

I'll post some pictures, and can answer any questions about specific obstacles if you have any :)

I'm missing an a-frame, and pause table still. I bought some tunnels from this website http://www.pacngorec.com/ . I bought the agility tunnel pac http://www.pacngorec.com/products/agility/pacngorec_products_33211.htm
. The tunnels work great, no issues with them whatsoever and are holding up well to my dogs tunnel rampaging :laughing:

I'll take a new photo of my yard later, since these pictures were taken before my tunnels arrived.

Tire Jump
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/Spatx/Cody/yard7.jpg
Dog Walk
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/Spatx/Cody/yard2.jpg
Teeter
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/Spatx/Cody/yard6.jpg
Cody going over a jump, set at 16"
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/Spatx/Cody/CC2.jpg
On the Dogwalk
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/Spatx/Cody/CC3.jpg
Overview of some of the jumps
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/Spatx/Cody/yard8.jpg
My weave poles before they broke. They would probably work perfect for a smaller dog that doesn't really push hard through weaves.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/Spatx/Cody/codyweave1.jpg

babymomma
August 26th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Wow you built that:eek: I wasn't going to build them so professionally but wow!! Mine will probably look like cr@p, but i think she'll still learn the basics even if they arent like the proffesional ones right?? I Can't think of any questions right now, but im sure ill have alot in the near future!:thumbs up Thanks for the pictures.. May i ask what equipment you used to build the weave poles?? Was it expensive? Etc!

allymack
August 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
wow, thats quite the set of equipment you have ther Spatx! hmm, not to self...get Spatx here to build me agility equipment! :D

Spatx
August 26th, 2008, 10:30 PM
For the weave poles I used 3/4" PVC (Also used for Jumps and Tire) which you can buy at Home Depot or most hardware stores. I don't remember exactly how many poles it took, but it was easy enough to do :) I think it cost about $60 for all the supplies for the weaves. Most of the time building them is just in planning and cutting the PVC to size. I just used a hack saw - my dad has all the tools luckily, I just had to do the labor :D

I believe the poles are 36" tall
The spacing between them is 20"
For connector pieces you'd need 10 'T's. I also bought end caps for the poles, and decorated them with electrical tape.

Before I made my own weave poles I used wooden garden stakes which I just pounded into the ground. You can definitely teach them all the concepts with simple home made obstacles. I used to use chairs and meter sticks for jumps :thumbs up

If you visit www.aac.ca you can get the rulebook which also has information on the correct sizing of obstacles.

BusterKitty
August 26th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Yay! Somebody found it:D Everybody's DIY-ing these days.

Well, good luck:)

Gail P
August 27th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Here are a few pics that I took last year. Since then I've also got my teeter done.

Training weaves, with pole placers on the ground
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/weave_poles.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/weave_rods.jpg

Tire jump
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/tire.jpg

Chute
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/chute.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/chute_ratchet.jpg

Tunnel from NTI Global. Notice my "tunnel holders" - recycled juice bottles and bungee cords! Also the plywood things at the ends with eye hooks to attach bungees to
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/tunnel_holders.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/tunnelholder.jpg

The jumps in the background are horse jumps, but Lightning flies over them like nothing. I also made some more portable jumps for him.

Spatx
August 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Ohh, I'm jealous of your tire jump :D

I'm thinking of ordering some new equipment once my paycheck comes in... Like a competition set of weave poles and a better tire jump.

I still want to build a table and mini a-frame, just need to get some ideas on how to do it. The table should be fairly simple, I don't need anything fancy, but the small a-frame on the other hand is going to be a challenge in figuring out some construction plans and dimensions that are do-able.

babymomma
August 27th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Thank you guys so much for the links and pictures :thumbs up

BK- Did you build that equipment? How would i go about making a chute?? Could i use a Cleaned out oil drum and Use a Tarp or some other type of material on it just to get her used to useing the Chute?? I already know what i want to do with making a tunnel.. Could i use Wood as weave poles? Like Pressed into the gound? Will It matter if Wood isnt rounded on the edges?And The wood for the Jusmps wont be totally rounded either Will this effect her ability to preform? (The Edges will be sanded smooth so she doesnt get hurt but it wont accually be poles) Can i use an actual tire for the tire jump? (bike tire)

Also, How do i teach my dog to heal? I have no idea how to do it!! I know i wont have a problem with training her once i can teach her to heal. Also, I She doesnt listen when i tell her to come. I know she is SUPER smart and would be Great for agility (Her breeder pointed that out to us) But she is just soooooo stubborn (Yorkshire terrorist) I get so frustrated with her! She learned sit The first day i had her. And she almost has "gimme paw" Mastered! I need serious help!!! BUt there are no trainers to help me in my area:(:yell:

mollywog
August 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM
babymomma,
looks like you have a lot of good ideas here from everyones suggestions and pictures. Are you planning on competing in agility, or just doing it for fun in your own backyard? If you are planning on competing in agility, I would highly recommend looking up the rule books and figuring out standard heights and distances. And then using equipment that is as close to the "real thing" as possible. That way your dog will be more used to it. If you are using an oil drum for training and then suddenly have to go through the standard tunnels on "competition day", it could totally throw your dog off.
As for learning heel and recall training, like many people have said already, these are both very important skills to master before moving on to anything agility. From what I gather, your dog is still very young, so recall practice right now could just involve you calling your dog by name and then giving her a treat and praise when she comes to you.
I am sure lots of other members can help you out with this too. There are also tons of great resources on the internet.

babymomma
August 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM
babymomma,
looks like you have a lot of good ideas here from everyones suggestions and pictures. Are you planning on competing in agility, or just doing it for fun in your own backyard? If you are planning on competing in agility, I would highly recommend looking up the rule books and figuring out standard heights and distances. And then using equipment that is as close to the "real thing" as possible. That way your dog will be more used to it. If you are using an oil drum for training and then suddenly have to go through the standard tunnels on "competition day", it could totally throw your dog off.
As for learning heel and recall training, like many people have said already, these are both very important skills to master before moving on to anything agility. From what I gather, your dog is still very young, so recall practice right now could just involve you calling your dog by name and then giving her a treat and praise when she comes to you.
I am sure lots of other members can help you out with this too. There are also tons of great resources on the internet.

Thanks mollywog! I am Going to train her in our back yard with the equipment I can build on our own (As Close as I can possibly get it/afford) For fun at first, but then whe the agiltiy club opens up in Gander in the next year or two, We will Definatly be doing some practicing on the real course so shes ready to compete:) She is only 4 months old and i Am trying to train her for Heel and Recall Before we start agilty, but shes just so darn stubborn!!

Should i start Getting her to walk Over A Stick just to get her used to the motion? Or taking the material we will be using for the tunnels/chute And let her walk on it just so she knows what it is at a early age. I wont let her Jump or anything just get her used to the 'touch' of everything.

Spatx
August 27th, 2008, 08:08 PM
babymomma, it sounds like you have a good idea of what your doing :thumbs up

While your pup is still young, it's a good idea to try get them used to as much as possible, so walking over a stick, going through home-made tunnels or fabric, moving boards, etc. Once they get used to motions, it makes it much easier to move onto training the obstacles. I had problems with my original dog Lucky when we started agility classes, he was terrified of contact equipment, and closed tunnels. My second dog Cody was pretty fearless with all the obsacles luckily.

Nova was scared of the movements of the teeter at first, but now she is used to it after lots of treats and praise. I've been getting her used to jumps, tunnels, and contact equipment. Getting them to walk across a flat board on the ground is a good foundation as well. Whatever you can come up with, I'm sure your dog will enjoy and build confidence. :)

babymomma
August 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
babymomma, it sounds like you have a good idea of what your doing :thumbs up

While your pup is still young, it's a good idea to try get them used to as much as possible, so walking over a stick, going through home-made tunnels or fabric, moving boards, etc. Once they get used to motions, it makes it much easier to move onto training the obstacles. I had problems with my original dog Lucky when we started agility classes, he was terrified of contact equipment, and closed tunnels. My second dog Cody was pretty fearless with all the obsacles luckily.

Nova was scared of the movements of the teeter at first, but now she is used to it after lots of treats and praise. I've been getting her used to jumps, tunnels, and contact equipment. Getting them to walk across a flat board on the ground is a good foundation as well. Whatever you can come up with, I'm sure your dog will enjoy and build confidence. :)

Thanks Alot Spatx!!! All of your Posts have been so helpfull! I Am so glad i can come to this board and get so much help And Support!! Thank you soo Much!~!

t.pettet
August 27th, 2008, 08:27 PM
There is a starter kit being offered from www.petsupplyhouse.com or if you already have the catalogue its on page 80 ($49.95), certainly not as great as what some of the posters have built themselves but it might do to get you started. Love your enthusiasm and the interest/care you're showing your new little pup.

babymomma
August 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM
There is a starter kit being offered from www.petsupplyhouse.com or if you already have the catalogue its on page 80 ($49.95), certainly not as great as what some of the posters have built themselves but it might do to get you started. Love your enthusiasm and the interest/care you're showing your new little pup.

Thanks for the link and for the compliment! Im not sure about it, any of you experianced folk think its worth the money? can the high jump be lowered?

Gail P
August 27th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Thank you guys so much for the links and pictures :thumbs up

How would i go about making a chute?? Could i use a Cleaned out oil drum and Use a Tarp or some other type of material on it just to get her used to useing the Chute??

My chute is made from a plastic barrel with the ends cut out, with a fabric "sleeve" that I sewed slipped over and held in place with a ratchet strap (that passes through a pocket sewn into the chute - see pics in my last post). I bought the fabric on ebay, it was called 200D or 400D packcloth. It's the same kind of material that is normally used for chutes.

Also, How do i teach my dog to heal? I have no idea how to do it!! I know i wont have a problem with training her once i can teach her to heal. Also, I She doesnt listen when i tell her to come. I know she is SUPER smart and would be Great for agility (Her breeder pointed that out to us) But she is just soooooo stubborn (Yorkshire terrorist) I get so frustrated with her! She learned sit The first day i had her. And she almost has "gimme paw" Mastered! I need serious help!!! BUt there are no trainers to help me in my area:(:yell:

Your dog is just a baby. I wouldn't be worrying too much about teaching her much in the way of agility yet, I'd spend more time on the other things you know she still needs work on, like her recall. When you do start teaching her agility obstacles, take it slow and keep it fun. She'll have a very short attention span at this age and she first needs to know some basic obedience, and needs a good recall since agility is done off leash. Don't desensitize her to her name by repeatedly saying it if she's ignoring you. Try to get her attention some other way, maybe by clapping your hands or squeaking a toy. If she looks at you or comes running for the toy, mark that behaviour with a "Yes!" (or click if you use a clicker) and give her a treat. If she knows and responds to her name when she's near you, mark that response with a click or "yes" and treat. Pretty soon every time you say her name she'll be looking right to you waiting for the reward. As she gets better at giving you the desired response you can try it when she's further away from you, and she'll have to come to you for the reward so then you add start to the word "come" after her name and click or mark the correct response when she does come, and give her her treat. When she's used to working for you, with a clicker or with a marker word like "yes", she'll be much more focused on you and what you might ask her to do next. That will make it much easier to teach her to heel. I don't normally ask my own dogs to heel (they're off leash on our farm with me most of the time, and at other times I want them to go out in front of me because they're sled dogs so they need to learn to stay lined out in front, not clinging to my side). However, that being said, I don't want them pulling like crazy on the leash, only when they're in harness, so I do teach them to wait (both on and off leash). If they're too far ahead of me I'll call their names and tell them "wait" and they will stop, look to me and wait before moving on. I've seen lots of clicker trained dogs that almost automatically walk by their handler's side, staring up into their eyes just waiting to see they might be able to do next to earn another treat. :dog:

Gail P
August 28th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Ohh, I'm jealous of your tire jump :D

After all the other stuff you've made the tire jump should be easy. Just PVC or ABS pipe for the frame and big-O drainage pipe for the "tire". A few eye bolts here and there with a couple of bungees to stop the tire from moving too much and you're good. :thumbs up

Spatx
August 28th, 2008, 08:26 AM
The hard part is finding the connector pieces for the larger PVC or ABS pipes. No one around here seems to carry anything bigger than 3/4" :frustrated: I'll have to make some phone calls around until I can find what I'm looking for

Gail P
August 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM
The hard part is finding the connector pieces for the larger PVC or ABS pipes. No one around here seems to carry anything bigger than 3/4" :frustrated: I'll have to make some phone calls around until I can find what I'm looking for

Can't you get them at Canadian Tire? We don't have one near me (closest is 45 min. away) so I got all my stuff at Home Hardware. I would have expected Canadian Tire to maybe carry them as well though. I'm pretty sure that TSC stores all carry that kind of stuff too. I can't remember for sure, but I think mine may be 2 1/2" diameter. It doesn't really need to be that big though, that's just what was easily available to me and thick. There was also some other white stuff but it was thinner and seemed flimsy, like it would crack easily. More important than the diameter may be whether it's UV resistant or not if it's going to sit out in all weather.