Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm nervous, wish us luck.

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 08:31 AM
This morning before I left for work, Czarina got out of the kitchen. I tried to get her back in but she kept evading capture. I finally had to leave her out with the others.:yell:

I don't think anything major will happen, but I wish I could have gotten her back in the kitchen. I know it had to happen at some point, leaving her roaming with the others, but I had wanted to wait a bit.

Wish us luck. I can't wait to get home:pray:

Love4himies
August 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Good luck. I don't think anything is going to happen, they are looking quite comfy together now. They can read each other's body language and will leave Czarina alone when she asks to be.

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I hope your right. I'm glad I had her nails trimmed this weekend though.

phoozles
August 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I think you'll be fine - but I'll :fingerscr and send you some :goodvibes: just in case!

allymack
August 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM
i'm sure everything will be fine. hopefully they will understand that she will want to be left alone.:goodvibes::fingerscr update us when you get home :) :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 12:06 PM
The only thing keeping me sane is I know I've left them alone for a few hours before on the weekends, and they've been fine. I'll either see Czari coming from upstairs or she'll be sleeping on an orange chair.

I feel like a mom who just dropped their kid off in first grade.:laughing:

clm
August 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I think it's a good thing actually. You're not there to get upset if they annoy one another and they'll sort things out on their own. My Mookie will still hiss at her sister and Gabby and she and her sister still get into the odd scrap. Most of the time Squeak and Gabby just like to get her going.
Even all my outdoor strays have learned to not fight much anymore. Some are friendly with the other cats, others are not, but they rarely scrap, they've learned what each one is all about and work things out themselves peacefully now.

Cindy

14+kitties
August 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM
They should be fine. I bet she will be ready for some alone time when you get home. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Clm, I know I have to let it happen at some point. And you are correct, they'll never really size each other up well if I'm always there to stop them as soon as they get too close to each other.

14+, I'll see if I can get her in the kitchen for a little bit when I get home. Lately I've been finding her in the closet when I go upstairs, so she may have found her own little spot to be away from the others.

I've noticed she's been pretty good at letting me know when she needs to be alone or wants out. Yesterday when we were getting ready for bed, she followed me into the kitchen and didn't try to come out when I opened the screen, so I think she was ready to be alone for a bit.

14+kitties
August 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
She's a smart girl. Minimo was having alone time too this morning while I was at work. She was being a little more snappy than usual so when she went into her crate I just closed it gently behind her. I am quite sure when I go to feed her in a while she will be ready to come out.
It all takes a lot of patience. She is doing so well! I bet you will find when you get home that nothing is amiss.

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
She didn't survive all this time by being dumb that's for sure.:D

Yeah, I'm glad she sees the kitchen as her safe place. I know when she just follows me in there it's alone time.

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I got home and everyone seemed normal. I checked them all for any fighting and they don't look like they got into any scuffles :D

Czarina will be sleeping in the kitchen though. I'll try to leave her in the kitchen tomorrow. I'd wanted to start letting her out a few times a week so she gets used to things little by little and not be overwhelmed. Do you guys think that's a good idea or should I let her just spend the day out?

allymack
August 26th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I think yo ushould let her out again tomorrow, i mean it sounds like they did fine today. Do you think it might be nervous energy that is coming from you that might be causing the scuffles? if anything did happen tomorrow, you can go back to having her in the kitchen for another while. its worth a try, they wont get used to being together if they arent together..althoguh you are doing a wonderful job with them!:thumbs up:cat:

14+kitties
August 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Why don't you let her tell you? If she's anxious to get out with the others or doesn't want to go back to the kitchen before you leave then let her stay out. If she heads back pretty easily then put her in the kitchen for the day. :shrug:

I am glad things went well today. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM
AM, 14+, I'll see what she does in the morning.

I'll open the screen for her and if she doesn't come in the kitchen by the time I leave then I'll let her be.

Everything is normal this evening. *phew* :D

ETA: LOL, so I just had to put her in the kitchen. She jumped up on the couch and started swatting and biting at me. So Little Queenie needed some alone time.

hazelrunpack
August 26th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Glad it all turned out well! She sure is coming along, AG! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks Hazel. I'm happy she was able to spend some time out in the open, but I'm also happy to give her some down time from the others. :laughing: She was getting a little feisty there.

hazelrunpack
August 26th, 2008, 09:08 PM
:offtopic:, but I've been meaning to ask...did you get much rain from Fay?

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Actually, not so much as you would expect here from a tropical storm in south Florida. Where it did rain a butt load is up towards the northern part of the state. I spoke to someone who works in Jacksonville, which is up on the north eastern coast and and she told me she got some flooding in her home.

We did need the rain though, it's been a pretty dry summer here.

On Tuesday is where it was supposed to be really bad. I got up at about 5:45 and it was raining a lot with terrible wind. But by 8:00 it had all died down and was just a normal overcast day. Now there's another storm brewing.

People get nervous at the beginning of hurricane season, when really it's the latter part of the season that most of the storms have been coming in in the last several years.

I need to buy maybe two more carriers. I'd like to have one for each of the gang. I don't plan on leaving my apartment if a hurricane threatens, and it would be hard for me to go anywhere with 5 cats and leaving them here alone is NOT an option. I'd like to be able to put them each in their own carrier if anything major goes down, and that way we can all hunker down in the bathroom. Thanks for asking!

hazelrunpack
August 26th, 2008, 09:24 PM
:goodvibes: for an uneventful hurricane season! Glad you haven't been getting inundated! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'll take those good vibes! We've been lucky the last 5 years.

krdahmer
August 27th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Wow that's awesome... she decided it was time to stay out for the day eh!?! Glad it all went ok, and just furthers my theory that all the hissing swatting and growling is just a show for us! :rolleyes::laughing: Although I know that my guys like to put on their WWE shows for my parents when we're away too!

I'd say let her tell you, if she wants to stay out she'll do what she did today... I think your home is finally her home too!:thumbs up

ancientgirl
August 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Kr, things did seem to go well, but she needed her alone time by the time dinner was finished.

This morning when I left, she was laying on her bed, and she didn't even have the most remote interest in leaving it, so I left her in the kitchen. I figured she's not up to the others today. I'll see if she wants out later when I get home, which I'm sure she will. She usually wants to roam around for a few hours in the evening.

This weekend I have an extra day off. I think we are taking off Monday for the Labor Day holiday, so that will be an extra day for her to roam around.

I think she's okay with her little routine now. :)