Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog behaviour question???

Shelby
July 15th, 2004, 09:26 PM
I have 2 dogs, a one year old Weimaraner and a 9 month old GSP and when they are eating bones, they try and either eat the bone on my foot or in my lap. I'm not really concerned, just interested to know why they are doing this?

glasslass
July 17th, 2004, 09:42 PM
My poodles have all done this too. One even liked me to hold it while he gnawed on it. Don't know why. :rolleyes:

Luba
July 18th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Sounds like they trust you .. and both dogs do this?

Post pics I love GSD's and Weins

Shelby
July 19th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Yes, both dogs do it. And they also do what GlassLass's poodle did, get me to hold onto the bone while they chew. Wilson (GSP) has been doing it since he was little, because I would stop Izzy (Weim) from stealing what ever he had. But Izzy has just started in the last few weeks or so.

glasslass
July 19th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Wow! It's amazing how much alike they look, except for color! They're both so haughty & regal, like they're condescending to pose! :D

Cactus Flower
July 19th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Oh

My

Gawd

Those Dogs Are Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

sammiec
July 20th, 2004, 08:18 AM
With dogs that look like that - they'd get away with absolutely everything!!! Beautiful pups!!! :D

Michel
August 4th, 2004, 11:26 AM
wow, beautiful coats on those two.

Princesss04
August 4th, 2004, 11:37 AM
They are so pretty! You shoudl submit that picture of them it is SO GOOD! You are on very lucky mommie! :D

dmc123
August 4th, 2004, 07:07 PM
What a really neat picture that is of those dogs!

Luba
August 4th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Your dogs are breathtakingly beautiful :D

Shelby
August 9th, 2004, 02:13 AM
thanks everyone, you make me feel like a very proud mum!!

bullilover
August 19th, 2004, 09:07 AM
I absolutely agree, your dogs are beautiful !! A very lucky mom you are indeed!!

Cinnabear
August 19th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Gorgeous dogs you have. :) What is the difference between the 2 breeds?

Goldenmom
August 19th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Shelby, that picture is a piece of artwork! Stunning!!! Enter it in some pet photo contests. I know you will win ;)

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

shihtzulover
August 19th, 2004, 01:49 PM
They are very very beautiful.

Shelby
August 20th, 2004, 02:37 AM
thanks again guys :)
Cinnabear, there really isn't that much difference between the breeds. I have found pointers to be a lot more independant than Wei's. They are both family orientated dogs, but Izzy (Wei) will follow you around the house, wherever you go, where as Wilson, is happy to stay where he is, just as long as he knows you are close by. It's the same when we let them off lead, Wilson will wander further away from us than Izzy will, and Izzy will "check in" every so often, by running up to us, jumping on us, then running off to her spot again.

dmc123
August 23rd, 2004, 06:58 PM
Posting again, been crusing older posts I made, I do think that photo should be in an art gallery....it is so cool!

debanneball
August 24th, 2004, 10:47 AM
WOW!!!! Hey, how did you get them so shiny..just kidding, GEORGEOUS!!

Shelby
August 25th, 2004, 09:08 PM
thanks :) But you should have seen them this morning after rolling in kangaroo poo!! Not so shiny.....

Debbie and Fred
September 10th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Just wanted to know if these breeds are good with small children? They are gorgeous!

Shelby
September 12th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Hi Debbie and Fred, I don't have any kids and not many of my friends do either, so Izzy and Wilson haven't had a lot of exposure to small children.
My brother has four kids though, the oldest being 11 and the youngest 2. When he brought the family to visit for a weekend, Izzy was rough with the older kids (because they played rough with her), but with the 2 yo, she was very gentle, she'd just follow her around the house picking up all the bits of food that she dropped! Wilson just LOVES kids, and gets a really excited around them, he doesn't jump on them, he just likes to lick them!

BamaRama
September 13th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Hey Shelby!
You have beautiful dogs:)

Just wanted to say that I used to live in Canberra years ago (90-91) and I absolutely loved it...whereabouts are you in Canberra? We were right near Woden Mall...Or..Woden Plaza was it called? It's been too long!

Shelby
September 13th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Hi BamaRama,
I live at Duntroon, which is just near the Canberra Airport. Woden is is about 15 minutes drive away. Canberra is such a beautiful city, and it's not too big which is what I love about it.

Stewart
September 14th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Hi Shelby ! Two masterpieces of mother natures artwork you have there I must say ! And as for holding thier bones,Chews or whatever my GSD does this all the time,Just wants me to grip it for her,Also when I return home from having been gone for a while she will greet me then go fetch her bone or chew and bring it to me to look at, I always take whats offerd inspect it and give it back to her with a pat and "good girl" off she trotts happily tail wagging :)

shady_76
August 29th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I've just purchased a puppy that is three quarters Weimaraner and one quarter Lab. I hope he turns out as nice.

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 08:54 PM
oo any pics?:)