Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New member of the family - meet Sparky or Mr. Sparks (later, when he is older)

JennieV
August 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Well, after weeks of looking, contacting shelters and going for visits we finally found our new baby. It was really a funny situation (not in a haha way): a friend heard from a friend that someone wanted to get rid of their puppy after one week due to severe allergies. We contacted them, but they were not sure, the kids were crying etc.. So we left it alone. Last Thursday, out of the blue, my friend calls me and says that they put the pup on Kijiji :wall::wall:, coz they wanted money for it. :loser: So we called, yet again, and spoke to them, but the problem was that we were going to Kingston for the weekend and could not delay the trip, and the lady told my hubby that she wants the dog "OUT NOW!" Therefore, she didn't want to wait till we get back.
Anyway, to make a long story short, the pup was still up for sale on Sunday night when we were coming back, so we passed by and offered to take him. The lady wanted to get rid of him so badly that she agreed that we pay just for the puppy supplies, like his cage, pillow, shampoo etc...
Oh, and she had him locked up in the basement...Nice eh?
So here we are, adorable as can be...

Melinda
August 25th, 2008, 06:33 PM
oh what a sweetie!!!!! how old is he?? He is one happy looking pup, congrats

JennieV
August 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM
He is a mix of Maltese & a Pomeranian, which is roughly what we were looking for. He just turned 3 months old on Sunday. The amazing thing is, even though he was kept in the basement, he is just so well-behaved :angel: :lovestruck: We had absolutely no issue with barking, he didn't bark or growl even with Max (my cat), they sniffed and seemed to be ok, still in progress :cloud9:...one accident with #1, my fault, I wasn't reading him :rolleyes:...No accidents with #2 yet :thumbs up...He sleeps right through the night in his cage, and we got him a playpen today, which he loves...He is chewing on his chewie right now and looks too happy! :cloud9:
I just wonder how people do that to animals...Just getting rid of them like that. She wasn't even sad to see him go! I guess she just had enough, not realizing what a load of work puppies are.

mollywog
August 25th, 2008, 06:50 PM
WHAT A CUTIE!!! :cloud9: :lovestruck:
so lucky that you found him. And I'm really glad that that B:censored:H didn't make any money off you. I swear, some people.... :wall: :wall: :wall: what was she thinking in the first place?
well enough about that, he is obviously in a way happier place! and he looks overjoyed! :D so cute.
CONGRATS!

JennieV
August 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
WHAT A CUTIE!!! :cloud9: :lovestruck:
so lucky that you found him. And I'm really glad that that B:censored:H didn't make any money off you. I swear, some people.... :wall: :wall: :wall: what was she thinking in the first place?
well enough about that, he is obviously in a way happier place! and he looks overjoyed! :D so cute.
CONGRATS!

I know! I couldn't believe he was still available! I was sure that he was going to be snatched... I guess when its meant to be- its meant to be!:cloud9: we are very happy too, he seems like such a sweetheart, I can't imagine why someone would lock him up...

BusterBoo
August 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
:lovestruck: What a cutie!!!!

Congratulations on your new addition, Sparky is one lucky little guy to have found his way into your heart and home! :thumbs up

Chaser
August 25th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Congrats! He's so cute :cloud9: And I'm glad he ended up with you....what an awful woman to lock him up and want to be rid of him like that. :sad:

wdawson
August 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
yes congrats....thats one cute pup :thumbs up

Frenchy
August 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I know! I couldn't believe he was still available! I was sure that he was going to be snatched...

Not if they were asking money for him. :rolleyes: There's many free dogs on these web adds :frustrated:

Congratulation on the adoption ! He's a cutie for sure , love the ears :lovestruck:

JennieV
August 25th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Not if they were asking money for him. :rolleyes: There's many free dogs on these web adds :frustrated:

Congratulation on the adoption ! He's a cutie for sure , love the ears :lovestruck:

Yea, she wanted to re-cup her costs... :yuck: but at the end, she saw nobody was coming so fast, and she just wanted to be rid of him.:frustrated: She said that if we weren't going to take him she was going to drive him in the morning to the SPCA.

We gave her like $50 for the cage, toys, chewies and all his other stuff..But he was too happy to leave.:dog:
You should have seen him in the car..He snuggled his face on my chest, and was just shaking occasionally...He was so scared and worried, poor bugger.
Then, he saw his stuff, and his toys and he was just over-joyed...lol :rolleyes: right now, he is crashed out in his crate, I can hear him turn and sigh. :angel:

Frenchy
August 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM
But he was too happy to leave.:dog:

I bet he was !!! locked up in the basement :sad:
You should have seen him in the car..He snuggled his face on my chest,

They know when they're been saved :thumbs up

clm
August 25th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Isn't he just the most adorable little thing. Congrats on getting him out of that loveless home.
Most people are sooooo unprepared for a puppy. They look so cute so people buy them, bring them home and realize how much trouble a puppy can get into, they bite, they need lots of exercise, vet costs are expensive, they need to be housebroken, etc. So their answer is to rehome the pup or lock it in the basement.:wall: I wish people would think long and hard before getting a puppy or kitten.

Cindy

14+kitties
August 25th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Now that is one very very cute pup! OMG I don't know how people can look animals in the eye and then hurt them. Either physically or locking by locking them out of their lives. It breaks my heart. What a sweetie! Thank you for saving Sparky!:angel:

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Dawg, he's cute!! :flirt: And he looks so happy! That's just gotta warm your heart! :cloud9:

Dracko
August 25th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Wow!!! The cutest thing!!! I wouldn't be able to pass him up if I saw him.

How on earth could someone so casually do away with a dog????????? :frustrated:

Looking forward to seeing LOTS of pictures of Sparky. :lovestruck:

erykah1310
August 25th, 2008, 11:19 PM
OMG, how friggen cute is that pup!

Congrats!

jessi76
August 26th, 2008, 07:49 AM
what a great name for that little guy! one seriously lucky pup that you found him! as if it was MEANT to be! i LOVE reading happy ending stories... I hope you keep us updated as to how he's settling in w/ you. He really IS super, SUPER cute!!

Chris21711
August 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM
How could someone just want to get rid of such a cutie like NOW, he's adorable, congrats on your new addition. :thumbs up

Love4himies
August 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM
What a perfect name for him. He looks like such a sweetheart :cloud9:.

I bet he was an impulse buy :sad:

bendyfoot
August 26th, 2008, 10:28 AM
OMG soooooooooo CUTE!!!!:flirt:

JennieV
August 26th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Aww..thanks all, Sparky is doing amazing today... :angel: He slept right through the night, we took him out to pee at 10:30pm last night but he did nothing, so I was a bit nervous. Woke up at 6 am this morning, I took him out immediately and he did both #1 and #2 outside, which got him A LOT of praise and he was too funny...:dog: I think he is starting to get WHY I am happy so he gets super-excited after doing his business...LOL...I was picking up the #2 and he attacked the bag :rolleyes:...which resulted in poop smear on my hand..ew!:yuck:
He then played a bit with me and we learned a new thing: the command "sit"! It took about 10 minutes and now I only say it once and he sits down... :cloud9: I guess I have a genius on my hands... we will see if he remembers the command when he wakes up from his :sleepy:.. lol..
He also tried to play with Max some more, but I think Max is still a little apprehensive towards him, he doesn't like too much excitement, so he took off. Its fine though, one step at a time.:D
Oh! :lightbulb: the cutest thing happened yesterday: my hubby came back from work, we were sitting outside on the patch of grass that is in front of the house and Sparky growled at him and jumped in front of me, as if to protect me! :laughing: the whole 1.5 lbs of him! then he realized it was daddy and was so confused and ashamed, he was doing the belly-up thing to him...LOL:rolleyes:

I will be posting some pics in the right forum..Thanks everyone again, for all your wishes and support. It has been very exciting and a bit unnerving at the same time.

JennieV
August 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Eck! :evil: the neighbour down the street came to me while Sparky was doing his business, she was all excited about how she is going to breed her dog with mine!! :eek::eek::headslap:
I was speechless for about 3 seconds! HELLO!! *knock knock* McFly!! then I was going to give her a brainwashing about all the abandoned pets but narrowed it down to "Sparky is a rescue dog, and I will be neutering him as soon as possible"

:frustrated: The nerve!! she just blabbed on and on about how cute he is and then landed the bomb: I will bring my female to make them have fun... YEAH!! SURE!! :yell: right away!
:censored::censored:

:shrug:

allymack
August 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM
what a cutie! ypour such an :angel: for taking him in..he oculd have ended up in a worse place! i jsut want to give him a big smoosh:cloud9:

luckypenny
August 26th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Woohoo!! Congratulations JennieV :goodvibes: !!! And welcome to Pets.ca Sparky :lovestruck: .

I'm so happy you finally found your pup :) . He's absolutely adorable :cloud9: .

JennieV
August 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Aww...thanks!:p
Today was the first time that Sparky the :angel2: stayed alone, while being played with and walked by my nephews 3 times, but still, alone, and he was SUCH A GREAT DOG!!! :flirt::flirt: I cannot be more happier with this puppy :clap:, he is doing so well! no crying, no accidents - just great! :crazy:

SolaMio
August 27th, 2008, 04:54 PM
He is so cute, I want to hug the little fella :lovestruck:
And yes congrats for getting him out of the basement, ugh... :wall:

Frenchy
August 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I will be posting some pics in the right forum..

I can't find them :whistle:

:D

JennieV
August 28th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I can't find them :whistle:

:D
Just posted some more!!!! Go look...LOL :D

JennieV
September 10th, 2008, 06:29 PM
So its been almost 3 weeks with Sparky and I am very happy we rushed down to see him that night...:lovestruck: He is very smart, he learned "sit", "go to bed", "high-five" in no time, it took me literally an afternoon for each...We are working hard on the recall, which is somewhat troublesome, but I think with patience and time we will conquer that as well. :rolleyes:
He just seems sooooo independent! Like if I tell him to come, I can be making a fuss and speak in squeaky voice and everything, but if he feels otherwise - forget it:wall:. He just looks at me as if to say "I dont think so" LOL The only thing that works without a fail is if he sees a treat in my hand..So we do what we can for now.:rolleyes:
At the vet's we got a clean bill of health, with shots to be done on Sept. 17th, but she was so impressed with him..!:D He was very calm and let her do her thing.
:confused: The one thing that she said is that he is definitely a mix of Westie and a Maltese, I think that its possible that there are all 3 of them in there: Pomeranian, Maltese and Westie. He sure behaves like a Westie and looks a lot like one. Except for the yellow ears!! That has to be from a Pom, no?
and the fur is very funny, he has this undercoat, that is sort of like a Pom, but over it he also has longer hairs, of Maltese..When I comb him, very very little comes off..:confused::shrug:
Whatever he is, he is a part of our family and we are very very happy and feel lucky that we have gone to see him when we did. I cannot imagine this puppy going to SPCA or other shelter..He would have probably gotten adopted, but who knows...

Diamondsmum
September 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Awwe OMG.. what a sweetie..

I know the feeling on the breeding thing.. friends of ours said same thing..about Diamond 5 minutes after we had her home.

I said straight up "She will be fixed as soon as my SIL (the vet) says so!"

:angel: