Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sweaters...do any dogs really NEED them?

bendyfoot
August 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I know, I know, it's still summer for a while yet, but this question popped in my head: our new girl Heidi, the boston terrier X is a tiny little thing with super-short-short fur. Our other dogs are 60 pounders with thick double coats and they do fine in the snow and cold. Should I expect Heidi to be ok to (she does, after all, have a built-in fur coat), or should we find her something to keep warm once it starts getting frosty?

(FWIW, I think coats are cute. DW HATES them with a passion and it will take a while to convince her to put one on any dog of ours unless I can back up the need with some research:D)

14+kitties
August 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I know with my toy poodle (14) she loves having her sweater on once it starts getting chilly. She sees me bring it out and she wiggles all over the place till I get it on her. And then just try taking it off. She shivers and shakes and basically sticks her head back in the hole. :cloud9:

aslan
August 25th, 2008, 12:22 PM
lol, well your DW is gonna lose this one, Heidi's coat is too short to keep her body warm outside in the FREEZING cold for any period of time. I do have a compromise for you tho. Go to the baby department ant walmart, they have really cute sweaters for baby's that will fit your dog. We use them on Bailey all the time. Or he just starts shivering really badly.....

lotus
August 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
My little Sugar wears a T-shirt on cold nights, she didn't care for it at first but when she figured out they keep her warm she don't mind now. Just got her a parka for winter.

babymomma
August 25th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Keely Definatly needs a Sweater. We go on ski-doo alot in the winter, So we will have to put A sweater on her and a parka that we bought for her in wally world ( wal-mart) And winter booties (If you have ever experianced a NFLD winter, You would understand why she would need boots) I know that even now in the summer she gets cold and Wants to wear her sweater (She goes to her basket and pulls out A sweater that she wants to wear, Yes, very cute!) She will also need a wool hat to keep her little ears warm. Even though her fur is long, it isnt thick at all and she is froze all the time!

Smiley14
August 25th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Yep, a Boston is extremely sensitive to the cold as are most dogs with little fur. They also don't have the double coat for protection either. Remember, they are a "man-made" breed and have no natural defenses developed for extreme weather, hot or cold. Every dog is different. My GSP is huge big baby with cold while my Boston handles it really well. Both are short hairs though and so get a coat or sweater in really cold weather if we're going to be out for more than a few minutes. (So not for potty breaks, but for walks). I know some that will bundle their dogs up even for potty breaks too though. :)

clm
August 25th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Your boston is going to need a coat or sweater for sure. Can't wait to see the pics too. :cloud9:

Cindy

Hogansma
August 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Yes, she definitely needs a sweater. Just one word of warning, never leave a damp sweater on a dog. You may need two, one to wear and one drying.

I make them for the local SPCA and there are cute ones you can sew out of fleece in any pattern imaginable. They are quick and easy so you don't need to know much about sewing. Also, there are easy ones to knit too.

Any short haired dog will need a jacket or sweater. My dalmatian even wore one to bed (indoors) when she got old and sick and she loved it.

allymack
August 25th, 2008, 06:24 PM
yupp, many dogs need them. any thin skined dogs ( i.e. greyhounds and whippets) or short single coat layered dogs ( i.e. boston terrier, min pin, chi's) all need it as they dont have thick enough fur to keep them warm. Dogs with double coats ( i.e. BC's, labs, newf's) dont since they have enough fur to keep them warm. Although any dog may need booties, depending on how much time they will be outside and how much salt there is on your roads..salt can really take a toll on your poochs feet, so you may want to look in to booties also.

ancientgirl
August 25th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I don't have a dog, but if I did have one I'd likely have one with very short hair seeing as I live in Miami. But for the few days we get of really cold weather I'd take him/her out with a sweater.

I think unless they're like say CLM's boys or some of the pups others have with furry coats they need something to protect them from the elements.

BusterBoo
August 25th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I vote for getting Heidi a sweater! Buster's natural hair should be grown to floor length (but that's a lot of work !!) so I keep him in a "puppy cut", so in the winter he has several sweaters/coats of different thickness. Just like his leash, when I take his sweater out of the closet, he knows he is going for a W....A....L....K....!

Oh ya and don't forget to post pictures of Heidi modelling her new wardrobe! :lovestruck:

pitgrrl
August 25th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Where are you again? Anywhere that gets below freezing and a sweater isn't gonna do it, ya need full winter gear, just ask The Bazz Man:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2255406980_e68c839c90.jpg

ancientgirl
August 25th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Oh no you don't, I think we need a better picture of that cutie with that full winter gear. :D

pitgrrl
August 25th, 2008, 07:57 PM
:laughing:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/pitgrrl/DSC_0021-1.jpg

Chaser
August 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
LOL...that's too cute pitgrrl! :lovestruck: I think Chase would spaz on me if I put booties on him....even though sometimes I think they would be a good idea!

I agree that Heidi will need a sweater for fall and some winter gear. I absolutely hate dogs wearing clothes for fun (say, a chi wearing a tutu - I HAVE seen it! :eek:) because it screws up their winter coat and interferes with their non-verbal communication IMO. But sometimes it is absolutely necessary, and I would say for sure your new little Boston is gonna need help staying warm in the cold weather! Not to mention, aside from the stupidity of a skirt on a dog, some clothes are pretty cute!

Frenchy
August 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Oh no you don't, I think we need a better picture of that cutie with that full winter gear. :D

:thumbs up quick thinking ancientgirl !

I put a coat on Nelly in winter , not everyday but when it's real cold. Ok ok she's a great dane :p but she doesn't have any fur to protect herself from the cold :shrug:

ancientgirl
August 25th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I love it! That looks like some neat gear.

Frenchy, I think any dog that doesn't have a full coat needs something at the very least!

I mean yeah they have hair on them, but how much can that keep them warm on a cold day? I even think the booties are a good idea too, especially if you live where there is snow.

Then you have dogs like Noid, where he needs protection from the sun too so their skin doesn't get sun burned.

I agree though, no tutu's!

bendyfoot
August 26th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Cute outfit!!!:lovestruck:

We're near Ottawa. -30 degrees C is not unheard of.

Sounds like we'll need some gear. Kim's just gonna DIE :yuck:

14+kitties
August 26th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Better Kim from embarrassment than Heidi from the cold. :thumbs up

jessi76
August 26th, 2008, 08:08 AM
omg pitgrrl, LOVE the pics!!!

I agree w/ the others... a coat is definitely needed. I have a basenji mix...super short hair, nearly bald belly. he too MUST wear a coat or sweater in the frigid temps (and I'm in massachusetts, not even CLOSE to the fridgid temps you guys get in Canada!!). I prefer coats as pitgrrl posted, that cover the chest and belly well, and are waterproof. BUT I do have a couple lighter coats from Old Navy dog supply that I like alot. I tried booties on my dog... ummm no, that didn't go over well. But he doesn't protest the coats/sweaters, so we stick w/ those.

pitgrrl
August 26th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Well, tell Kim I can sympathize! We had to look long and hard for coats that weren't just totally ridiculous and I'm guessing you might have an ever harder time since stuff for little dogs is often something out of Paris Hilton's closet.

I don't know if they make coats small enough, but this is where we got our dog's gear from and it's 5 years and still going strong.

http://www.chillydogs.ca/

Frenchy
August 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM
http://www.chillydogs.ca/

Holy crap it's more than what I spend on my own clothes :cool:

Soter
August 26th, 2008, 12:36 PM
doggie sweaters are soo cute!
I think they are handy in cold weather, and look so adorable, especialy on tinies:D

pitgrrl
August 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Holy crap it's more than what I spend on my own clothes :cool:

Me too :laughing:......but then again, I don't wear the same thing everyday for 4 years, so I guess it evens out.

babymomma
August 26th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Keely needs a hat to keep her ears warm.. Even in the summer they are cold!
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee333/keely_momma/100_0342.jpg

Smiley14
August 26th, 2008, 06:21 PM
OH, I also highly recommend the Chilly Dog coats! They are very expensive, but are excellent quality and will last the lifetime of the dog. :thumbs up

For sweaters, I highly recommend Chilly Dog Sweaters (http://www.chillydogsweaters.com/) (Same name, different company!) Handmade knit wool sweaters that are gorgeous and warm and decently priced at around $25. For handmade, you can't beat it. Much better quality than store bought sweaters too! AND they make all sizes for tiny dogs to big dogs! :thumbs up They aren't taking orders again until after Sept 1st in case anyone tries to order from them before then.

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I like the coats but the sweaters look really nice and warm.

bendyfoot
August 27th, 2008, 08:05 AM
So it was a little fall-like and chilly first thing this morning when Miss Thing needed to go out to potty, and she was shivering a bit. She's definitely going to need sweaters/coats. I really love the ones your pups are modeling smiley!

pitgrrl
August 27th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Basil and Streets have Chilly Dog Sweaters too! You have excellent taste Smiley :laughing:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/pitgrrl/sweateronthemountaincrop.jpg

Frenchy
August 27th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Basil and Streets have Chilly Dog Sweaters too! You have excellent taste Smiley :laughing:

What a nice pic pitgrrl , I would have it framed :lovestruck:

Smiley14
August 27th, 2008, 11:16 AM

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/pitgrrl/sweateronthemountaincrop.jpg

LOL, I love it! :laughing:

StaffyLady
September 5th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Awwh, cute pictures Pitgrrl...I have a friend that makes fleece doggie coats..and is beginning to sell them locally. They are awesome and easy to put on and take off.
My dogs love them and will look to us before going out as if to say...ah like where's my nice warm coat.
Yes, short coated dogs definitely feel the cold and would very much appreciate being "dressed" before taken outside in the winter temps. I'll try to get a picture out here of my pit Lady in her Leopard print coat...she's an absolute star! and a warm one too!

http://C:\Documents and Settings\Denise Rogers\My Documents\Image Transfer\'07_01_05_01\DCIM\101MSDCF

StaffyLady
September 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to get pictures out here. But those are certainly gorgeous dogs Pitgrrl!

Crestedcrazy
September 7th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I say Yes yesy yes to dog clothing whether for a short-haired breed or long and well of course especially for my naked kids they are an essential item :thumbs up
I own an online dog boutique and find many customers buy warm clothing for all breeds and it's not just fashion but for warmth and to keep dry so they can stay outdoors longer and in comfort!

chico2
September 7th, 2008, 04:23 PM
We buy sweaters for Bailey(Cocker)at Wal-Mart in Myrtle Beach when we go there in October,really cheap and a good variety.
I would love to get her a coat,but since she is not mine,sweaters will have to do.
She really needs a sweater,since she usually gets another shave in the fall:wall:

babymomma
September 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM
We buy sweaters for Bailey(Cocker)at Wal-Mart in Myrtle Beach when we go there in October,really cheap and a good variety.
I would love to get her a coat,but since she is not mine,sweaters will have to do.
She really needs a sweater,since she usually gets another shave in the fall:wall:

Chico, you can get winter parka' s in wal-mart for 14 dollars, from sizes XS-XL And they are either AKC registered OR CKC registered (cannot remebr whcich it is ..They are green with a hood with faux fur around it.. Keely has one and she loves it.. They also have a saude-ish (sp wrong) Type coat with a fleecy lining. They are amazing and would be great for a cocker!:thumbs up

Gypsyhick
September 7th, 2008, 07:59 PM
lol, well your DW is gonna lose this one, Heidi's coat is too short to keep her body warm outside in the FREEZING cold for any period of time.

lol - I lost this argument last year as will your DW. I was quite solidly anti-dog clothes!

BUT... it was autumn and already Voodoo would be shivering just sitting on the front step while on our way out for a walk. On colder days, she really needs some help because she's short-haired.

Our compromise was something utilitarian styled - I picked up the most non-froofroo jacket I could find (the trail vest from Canine Equipment http://www.rcpets.com/canine_equipment.php). It's a bit big because she was still growing when we bought it, didn't want it to be too small. Now I'm going to go check out the links from this thread because sometimes her vest is still in the wash, would be nice to have at least one spare. Yep, the jackets are expensive but well worth it! It'll last for years and she can still run run run her little whippet x heart out and not freeze.

Heidi will look dashing in her new winter duds. I can't wait to see photos!

chico2
September 8th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Babymomma,thank's I'll have to look in to it,the sweaters always get wet when it's snowing.
I have a pic of her in one of her sweaters here somewhere..this one was not warm enough,so I bought her a couple of thicker ones,the year after.

ancientgirl
September 8th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Bailey looks quite lovely in her turtleneck.

Scary
September 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Perhaps I can tag on and add a related question? :pray:

My parents have a Bichon Friese puppy (10 months, totally adorable!) As she really only runs around the backyard several times/day for 10 min or so... They have coats for her, but I wonder if she needs them? She LOVED the snow last year, digging and playing and never seemed bothered...
Just curious if anyone knows about this for this breed. :) Weirdly her fur is really thin (almost naked belly) underneath, and yet that's where there are only straps on the coat... would a sweater be better? Besides, after she plays for 5 min her fur is matted with snowballs!
Advice oh snowy pup experts? (Grin)

chico2
September 11th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Scary,I can only tell you from a man up the street who has 2 Bichons,he always puts sweaters on his dogs in the winter and they look really sweet.
He says they get cold..

lotus
September 11th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I have a Bichon ,he also loves to roll around in the snow a coat does help keep the snowballs off.

Scary
September 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks Chico and Lotus!
This may be a dumb q... but how do the sweaters go on - like ours or are there velcro fasterns somewhere I'm not seeing?? I dont' know if puppy would sit still / go for an over-the-head-and arms dressing... hard enough to get the two clips done up on her coats.

I know my cat would NEVER stand for it!:crazy:

lotus
September 11th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Peanuts goes on just like our sweaters do, some of the coats have velcro. I find sweaters easy to put on.

chico2
September 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I put a sweater on a Cocker,no problem,over the head and then stick the paws through.
On a cat,no I would not even try it on my cats,but we don't take them outside long in the winter.