Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Malcolm is in the hosp.

Love4himies
August 24th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I had to rush Malcolm to the hospital tonight. He was developing a fever very quickly. 40.2 @ 7PM, 40.5 @ 7:15, last check 41 @ 8PM at the hospital. No vomiting or diarrhea. No appetite, very, very lethargic, started into purr mode. :cry::cry: He had two vets rushing around working on him to get fluids and an injection into him to get the fever down.

He was fine until about 3, went for a nap on DH lap, was a little funny, but thought he was just tired. At 7 I knew something was wrong when he wouldn't eat or play, that's when I got the thermometer out.

Please, please send him some good vibes tonight.:sad:

They were extremely impressed on his physical condition, I didn't mention the raw diet, but wanted to.

Their first thoughts the herpes virus, which could be a result of the horrible upper resp infection they had a month ago.

Frenchy
August 24th, 2008, 08:43 PM
L4H , I'm so sorry :sad: but you never know , he could be 100% ok by tomorrow morning :fingerscr :pray:

Are they suppose to call you back tonight ?

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2008, 08:47 PM
:goodvibes: and :pray:s for Malcolm...:grouphug: for you, L4H! He's in good hands, hun! :fingerscr that he'll be much better by morning!

happycats
August 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Awww L4H, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Malcolm.

I am wishing Malcolm :goodvibes: and hope he's better soon :fingerscr

14+kitties
August 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Awwww poor Malcolm. He has had a rough go of it. I am sending all the :pray:ers, :fingerscr, and :goodvibes: that I possible can for the little guy. I hope he is back to his regular self very very soon. Is Matilda doing ok so far?

luckypenny
August 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
:grouphug: Love4himies. Whatever is causing him to be ill, I hope they find it and treat it quickly :goodvibes: .

t.pettet
August 24th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Best wishes and a speedy recovery for your kitty.

meg4050
August 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
:fingerscr:goodvibes::pray:for Malcolm and :grouphug: to you L4H!

breeze
August 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
lot of good vibes from me..

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

:fingerscr

krdahmer
August 24th, 2008, 10:47 PM
:pray: :pray:
:goodvibes: :goodvibes:

and all our :pawprint: crossed here too for Malcolm!!

growler~GateKeeper
August 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM
:goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for Malcolm & :grouphug: for you

Is Matilda doing ok so far?

Yes, how is Matilda's energy level been lately? :goodvibes:

badger
August 25th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Good vibes for the little guy. Must've been a little scary to see all that activity around him - Animal ER - but he is in good hands :fingerscr

rainbow
August 25th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I hope Malcolm will be okay. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

aslan
August 25th, 2008, 04:49 AM
good luck and :pray: for Malcolm...Hopefully he will be back to normal today.

Love4himies
August 25th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Thank you everybody for your well wishes.:grouphug:

I haven't heard and am not allowed any info from the hospital as he is not legally mine. The manager from the humane society is suppose to call me first thing this morning for an update.

He was sooooo scared, I was holding him on the examining table while the vets were working on him. He was shivering so bad, but had no energy to fight. He was a very brave boy when they put the IV in him.

Of course didn't sleep last night, all I could think about was him.:cry:

Matilda is doing fine, she ate this morning and wouldn't leave Sweet Pea alone, and Sweet Pea was unusually kind to her, thank goodness.

Very funny, but she must know something is up with Malcolm as this is the first time she hasn't called for him when he hasn't been in her sight :sad:.

jealma
August 25th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I do hope everything turns out to be fine. So hard to know when they can't talk to us.

Wow they won't tell you anything. Patient confidentuality for animals now? Well if they are going to go that way you are the primary care giver at the moment so that should give you some rights. I hope they call you first thing with some news.

14+kitties
August 25th, 2008, 07:06 AM
What a nasty thing to do. You are the one who has been looking after them since the start. Heck, you and your friend are the ones who found these two.
Sending lots of :pray:s :goodvibes: Malcolm's way.

Love4himies
August 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I think it is because we have no say in the treatment, but have so much emotional ties to our fosters (some of us more than others :whistle:). It would much too hard on a foster mom for a vet to discuss a serious illness to a foster mom that would cost a bundle to treat but have the HS decide to have the cat PTS rather than treat.

My stomach is in knots waiting for the HS to call.

Love4himies
August 25th, 2008, 07:53 AM
He made it through the night :thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up. Vet is with him now, the manager of the HS will update after the vet is done.
:):):):D

breeze
August 25th, 2008, 07:58 AM
:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

glad to her that he made it thought the night!!!! :highfive:

:goodvibes::goodvibes: for speedy recovery..:grouphug:

Jim Hall
August 25th, 2008, 08:08 AM
a buddah belly rub for malcom

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM
:goodvibes: for Malcolm

:grouphug: for you!

14+kitties
August 25th, 2008, 09:13 AM
:thumbs up That is great! Let's hope it's a good prognosis now and he is back where he should be very soon!!! :fingerscr:goodvibes::pray: and whatever else it takes to get him home healthy!!

14+kitties
August 25th, 2008, 09:14 AM
K, silly question. If a foster has something treatable and curable that would cost lots of money and the fosterer is willing to pay, can they? Or would they have to adopt the kitten themselves?

lotus
August 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hope Malcolm is feeling better soon:fingerscr :goodvibes:
And a :grouphug: for you. I hope you hear something soon.

Love4himies
August 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM
K, silly question. If a foster has something treatable and curable that would cost lots of money and the fosterer is willing to pay, can they? Or would they have to adopt the kitten themselves?

Fosters can pay if they wish, I did for Sweet Pea's kittens. It is treated as a donation to the humane society.

With the increase cost of fuel, we can't afford to do that this year :sad:.

Love4himies
August 25th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I haven't heard yet about him being discharged today so it is not looking good:sad:. They may want to keep him until the end of the day for observation.

Frenchy
August 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
He made it through the night :thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up. Vet is with him now, the manager of the HS will update after the vet is done.
:):):):D
wooohooo ! :thumbs up
I haven't heard yet about him being discharged today so it is not looking good:sad:. They may want to keep him until the end of the day for observation.

Maybe they just want to make sure he's ok before letting him go home. :goodvibes:

Bluecatt
August 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I hope he's doing better. Sending :lovestruck::lovestruck:

14+kitties
August 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Any news yet? :fingerscr

allymack
August 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM
aw, i just saw this, i hope everything goes all right!:goodvibes::fingerscr lots of :grouphug: for you and malcolm.

Chris21711
August 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Hoping that little Malcolm is doing ok L4H, I was just thinking of your little guys yesterday, that I hadn't read any updates on them. Now this :sad: Big :pray: for Malcolm.

rainbow
August 25th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Maybe they just want to make sure he's ok before letting him go home. :goodvibes:

I was thinking the same thing. :fingerscr

I hope little Malcolm pulls through this.....sending lots of good luck your way. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Frenchy
August 25th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Any news ? :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
August 25th, 2008, 10:38 PM
L4H I'm sure they just want to keep an eye on Malcolm a little longer :goodvibes:

:goodvibes::fingerscr:pray::goodvibes: for the little guy

onster
August 26th, 2008, 06:34 AM
awwww L4H im so sorr u and lil malcom are going thru this :grouphug::sad:

:pray: he'll be ok :goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 26th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Well I brought him home, but am now thinking it may have been a mistake. I think he will need sub q's again today:sad:. He won't even lift his head he is so sick.

Last night I mixed his vet food (I know not good, but will mix easily with water so I can syringe it in him) with half water. He didn't mind eating at first, but didn't want too much. Did the same for him this morning so he is getting some fluids and nutrition.

No vomit or diarrhea so that is good. Took his temp last night and it was 39.4so just a little high. Didn't bother this morning because he was getting his kitty asprin to bring it down (adevene I think). If it is viral (and I am thinking so), it will take about 3 days to run it's course.

He won't walk except to go to the litter box.:sad:

14+kitties
August 26th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I am so sorry L4H. :grouphug: Did the vet not tell you what it was that was wrong? Poor little gaffer. I will say lots of :pray:ers for him for the next few days. :fingerscr:goodvibes: :grouphug: to you from all of us!

Love4himies
August 26th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I am going to go home to check on him at lunch. It is about a 40 min drive, but can't stop thinking about him.

14+kitties
August 26th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I hope you find him a little better. :grouphug: You take such good care of these little ones. It would break your heart if something happened.

jessi76
August 26th, 2008, 08:16 AM
sending good vibes to little malcolm for a speedy recovery!

please don't even worry about the "vet food" right now. just focus on getting malcolm well... food can always be changed later down the road when you have your happy and healthy kitty back.

DougG
August 26th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I'm sending some good vibes as well - and since my Silky doesn't need them herself these days, but is actually giving them off along with extra purrs, she'll be happy to help out as well! :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Frenchy
August 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
We're thinking of you and Malcolm :grouphug: :fingerscr

Love4himies
August 26th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Thank you everbody for your well wishes.

Went home at lunch to check on my baby and he was up and walking, very unsteady, but at least up. I gave him some more watered down food, but he wasn't really interested. Matilda kept giving him kisses and wanted him to play, but he wouldn't :sad:.

Jasper was laying on the rug and Malcolm just wanted to snuggle him and Jasper let him :cloud9:. Uncle Jasper is the best cat to have with fosters.

Even Sweet Pea allowed Malcolm to rub against her and she didn't hiss, she seems to have a lot of patience with these kittens.

babymomma
August 26th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Its great how the other kitties are helping him feel better and kinda babying him! I really hope he gets better soon!!!

Love4himies
August 26th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Its great how the other kitties are helping him feel better and kinda babying him! I really hope he gets better soon!!!

Thanks babymomma.

Puddles on the other hand hissed and growled at him:mad:. I have locked her up in the bedroom for the afternoon, Malcolm doesn't need any stress on him right now, not that he has ever minded her hisses, he would just turn away and play with somebody else.

rainbow
August 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Poor wee Malcolm but it wa a good sign that he was walking a bit. :thumbs up And, it's comforting to know that Uncle Jasper is looking after him while you're not there. :cloud9: ;)

Sending lots of good wishes for a speedy recovery. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

phoozles
August 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Awww, little Malcolm - I hope he bounces back soon! :grouphug::goodvibes:

lotus
August 26th, 2008, 01:55 PM
At least he's home. Hopefully you can get him eating on his own soon.:goodvibes: for little Malcolm

14+kitties
August 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM
It's good he's walking, if unsteadedly. Hopefully he continues to improve! Sending all the :goodvibes: I can spare Malcolm's way!!

hazelrunpack
August 26th, 2008, 07:29 PM
More :goodvibes: for Malcolm! Sounds like there was at least a little improvement today! :thumbs up That's good! :grouphug:

Frenchy
August 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Although it's small improvement , it is good news :thumbs up give him a few days :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
August 26th, 2008, 11:33 PM
:goodvibes::goodvibes: for a speedy recovery for little Malcolm :goodvibes::goodvibes:

Would the clinic location allow you to easily drop him off at the vet in the morning for subqs, pick him up @ lunchtime & drop him off @ home before heading back to work if need be?

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Well he only gets better when he is on his adevene ??, he is not getting any better. I think he is worse.

He can't poop, a small drop comes out, he lays down and pants. I am having my doubts he will make it.:sad::cry:

lotus
August 27th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I was hoping to hear better :sad:poor little guy. Lots of:pray:for Malcolm.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 05:38 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes: for a speedy recovery for little Malcolm :goodvibes::goodvibes:

Would the clinic location allow you to easily drop him off at the vet in the morning for subqs, pick him up @ lunchtime & drop him off @ home before heading back to work if need be?

He is not dehydrated, I have been force feeding him with 50% water, 50% vet food. Unfortunately that means he doesn't get very many calories and is loosing so much weight, his spine is starting to show:sad:. I have been coming home on my lunch to feed him, but it takes two hours.

I think I will try mixing kitten wellness to see if I can syringe that, I just can't feed him that vet food anymore.

OMG, he just lies there staring straight ahead, it is breaking my heart, I get so attached to my fosters:cry:

onster
August 27th, 2008, 05:52 AM
omg im so sorry he's had to go back L4H...:sad:

I have hope still though, sometimes when your sick you have to hit your lowest point when all of a sudden ure fever breaks/whatever and u get better. :goodvibes: for the little guy :pray:

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM
It has been three days and no improvement, I am just so worried about him.

onster
August 27th, 2008, 06:00 AM
awwww I know :grouphug:...really I know how u feel as Ive been in a similar situation many years ago...its just that much harder to see them struggle/be in pain when youve cared so much for them and got so attached.

All you can do now is hope and pray that things will look up...ure doing ure best :grouphug:

Come on lill Malcolm, hang in there :cat::fingerscr:pawprint:

aslan
August 27th, 2008, 06:00 AM
aaaaw poor little guy, i think the switch back to wellness is a good idea, it's what his tummy is used to. The vet food is crap and is probably not helping his little tummy. I might be wrong but i think somewhere on here dr.lee suggested gatorade to keep him hydrated.

clm
August 27th, 2008, 06:06 AM
OMG, I just saw this. Poor little guy. It's just heartbreaking. I sure hope he turns the corner today and starts to improve for you. :pray:

Cindy

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 06:14 AM
OMG, he tried to poop again and a bit of white foamy stuff came out.:cry: I am in panic mode now.:sad:

aslan
August 27th, 2008, 06:19 AM
did the vets office not give you any idea what it is you're dealing with. can the hs not give them consent to inform you of the situation.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I was thinking panleukopenia, but they were vaccinated a month ago. I just don't have any other idea of what this could be. It is not like they go outside.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 06:27 AM
did the vets office not give you any idea what it is you're dealing with. can the hs not give them consent to inform you of the situation.

Are you kidding :rolleyes: They just sent him home with antibiotics and anafen and collect their 80 bucks.

aslan
August 27th, 2008, 06:28 AM
well i'm no expert but the foamy's might just be from switching from wellness, to crap and then back again. even if you haven't switched back yet, the initial switch might cause it. We know if you just switch normally it causes diarea, etc.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I haven't switched him back to wellness yet, he is loosing so much weight, that I have to get him on some quality food.

He is trying so hard to go poop, but he just gets exhausted and lays downs and pants.

onster
August 27th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Would maybe massaging his tummy help? /maybe helping him poop like when he was a wee kitten?

meg4050
August 27th, 2008, 06:31 AM
:sad: I;m sorry L4H... :pray::pray::pray: for Malcolm

Do you need permission from the HS to take him into the vet?

aslan
August 27th, 2008, 06:37 AM
L4 almost sounds like he is constipated, have you tried giving him some squash. i know it's pumpkin for dogs but i think it's squash for kittens.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I haven't given him anything that may cause him to get diarrhea as I don't want him to become too dehydrated.

I don't know if it is because I am a foster mom, but this clinic just seems to treat me like I am dropping off a package. These babies are like my own :cry:

I am trying to find out more info on the anafen, but can't seem to find too much.

sugarcatmom
August 27th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Can you syringe some slippery elm syrup into him? That might help calm whatever digestive issues he's having. Here is a recipe: http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm

: Into a small saucepan place 1/2 cup cold water and 1 teaspoon powdered slippery elm bark. Whip with a fork. Bring to simmer over low flame, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 or 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool and refrigerate. Keeps 7 or 8 days. Give a teaspoon of syrup (5 cc) for an average-size cat (again, about 10 pounds)

Also, not sure what vet food you're using, but if they have Eukanuba Maximum Calorie, it's the highest calorie wet food out there at over 300 cal/can. Could help get some extra energy in the poor guy. Not all clinics carry it though.

Alternatively, if you put some Wellness in a blender and then push it through a sieve, it should be smooth enough to syringe feed.

Come on Malcolm, you can do this!!

onster
August 27th, 2008, 06:44 AM
yeah I was just going to suggest squash like aslan..apparently it works both for diarrhea and constipiation?

Have u pm'ed Dr Lee? Maybe he can offer some suggestions

:sad:

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks sugarcatmom. I am sitting here bawling, I am so upset. He is so sick and not getting any better.

I must go now and get ready to go to the vets.

aslan
August 27th, 2008, 06:46 AM
www.camroseanimalclinic.ca/anafen.html

check this site out L4

sugarcatmom
August 27th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I am trying to find out more info on the anafen, but can't seem to find too much.

Did they say why they're giving him Anafen? It's an NSAID used for pain. I found this: http://www.camroseanimalclinic.ca/anafen.html

HOW THIS MEDICATION IS USED

Ketoprofen is a member of the class of drugs known as NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), the same class as ibuprofen (Advil®), carprofen (Rimadyl®), and Aspirin®. Ketoprofen is called a cyclo-oxygenase-1 and 2 inhibitor.
The chief use for such drugs in veterinary medicine is pain relief, especially for post-surgical pain relief or pain associated with tooth extractions. Ketoprofen is most commonly used in the short term (less than 1 week) treatment of pain and inflammation, although it has been used for long term therapy. It begins to take effect 1-2 hours after oral administration and lasts for approximately 24 hours.
Do not use this medication in a cat without specific veterinary guidance.

SIDE EFFECTS

Ketoprofen has been associated with nausea, appetite loss, vomiting or diarrhea. If any of the above are noted, ketoprofen should be discontinued and your pet’s veterinarian should be notified.
Since this medication could affect the liver, blood tests are recommended every 6 months for pets on chronic ketoprofen therapy.
Other rare side effects include: loss of balance, hyperactivity, depression, and aggression.
Ketprofen may also cause gastrointestinal bleeding. This is dependent on dose and length or therapy.

sugarcatmom
August 27th, 2008, 06:50 AM
www.camroseanimalclinic.ca/anafen.html

check this site out L4

Ya beat me!

Sorry you're going through this L4H. :grouphug: I was crying over a sick House Finch the other day, I can't imagine how agonizing this must be for you.

aslan
August 27th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Ya beat me!

Sorry you're going through this L4H. :grouphug: I was crying over a sick House Finch the other day, I can't imagine how agonizing this must be for you.

wow, i'm totally honored now, didn't see you were on, and i'm not a cat owner so the fact i gave the same advice...

lotus
August 27th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I am so sorry you have to go through this. :sad:I hope you get better news when you go to the vets.:pray: :grouphug:for you L4h I know you are trying your hardest ,please let us know what news you get from the vet today.:goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys for the link. It doesn't state anything about fever :confused: but it seems to reduce his :shrug:. I was able to talk to the vet to tell him everything, the receptionist first said he wasn't in yet :frustrated:, but he came walking down the hallway as I was talking to her. I was so upset and he was so kind.

I got a little upset with the receptionist as she just wanted to take the carrier without any info, and I told her that I thought it was important to take it and that I wanted to speak to the vet directly (that's when she said he wasn't in). I told her that although I was only a foster mom, I love this kitten as if he was my own. When the vet took Malcolm, she stated that she would call the HS manager with any updates.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Oh, and the food he has been given is: Medi-cal recovery:

http://www.medi-cal.ca/diets/diets.php?diet=42

Chris21711
August 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM
:pray: for little Malcolm and this for you L4H :grouphug:

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM
:frustrated::frustrated: I need to talk to the vet directly, this is rediculous going through the manager for all this info.

She stated that he looked healthy to her and the vet, I told her again, yes he looks fine when he has the anafen, but once that wears off, he is totally lethargic, third eyelid showing, fever, etc. etc.

The constipation was being blamed on the raw diet, well, well, Malcolm hadn't had any raw since Friday (he got sick Sunday night) because we were going to the BBQ and I don't leave raw out for any length of time. He didn't get raw on Sunday as I didn't take any out of Saturday to thaw in the fridge.

Anywho they are finally going to do some blood work.

14+kitties
August 27th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Of course the raw is being blamed. :wall:
It must be totally frustrating for you to have to go through the HS instead of being treated like you should be. Just because you are "only the foster" doesn't mean you don't get attached. :mad: I will have my fingers crossed that the bloodwork shows something. At least then you know what you are dealing with!
I think the only way you are going to get anywhere with the vet is to adopt the little guy yourself. :rolleyes:
Sending lots of :pray:s and :goodvibes:!

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Well, I haven't heard anything yet.:sad: I have certain control issues and I want to be "in the know" NOW! Maybe a bit of control issues and impatience :o

breeze
August 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM
:goodvibes::fingerscr:goodvibes::fingerscr

I hope everything is ok..:grouphug:

krdahmer
August 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM
More :goodvibes: & :pray: for you and Malcolm... I hope they can figure this out... hopefully the bloodwork will point to a cause! :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
August 27th, 2008, 03:10 PM
More :goodvibes: heading the little fella's way! Hang in there, Malcolm!!!

You, too, L4H! :grouphug:

babymomma
August 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Any updates???????? Im praying for this little guy!

Frenchy
August 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Waiting for an update too :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
August 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I was thinking panleukopenia, but they were vaccinated a month ago. I just don't have any other idea of what this could be. It is not like they go outside.

They could still have contracted panleukopenia if the virus was present but not showing before/around the time they were vaccinated. However it is highly contagious & would be likely that Matilida would have it as well.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1352&articleid=222
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/distemper.html
http://maxshouse.com/feline_panleukopenia.htm

What did the HS Manager tell you? Were they given any indication to the cause?

:goodvibes: :goodvibes:

rainbow
August 28th, 2008, 02:08 AM
:pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for Malcolm

:grouphug: for you

Love4himies
August 28th, 2008, 06:02 AM
No news yet :sad:. Malcolm stayed in the hosp as he didn't poop for them. Blood work was more than the Wellness panel so they had to send it out to a lab, the results should be in today.

DH found a kitten poop on his lazyboy, that is where I found Malcolm 2 nights ago when I checked on him. He must have been too sick to go to the litterbox :sad: Not diarrhea so I don't think it is panleuk. I wonder if it is the caliccivirus that Sweet Pea's kittens, the strain that settles in the joints or muscles making them lame?? Dumbo was so sick, like Malcolm is now, for 3 days.

Matilda is still running around, doesn't seem to miss her brother :shrug:. Uncle Jasper is her new playmate, he loves having her to play with:cloud9:.

Love4himies
August 28th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Does anybody know if it is possible that Malcolm could have FIV and Matilda not? He just seems to have a weaker immune system. He was the one that got so sick with an upper resp, she didn't. Now he is sick and she isn't.

14+kitties
August 28th, 2008, 06:31 AM
No advice hon. Just wanted to send lots of :goodvibes: and :pray:ers for the little guy today. Hopefully the blood work will show what he has and he can be treated. :fingerscr

Love4himies
August 28th, 2008, 09:13 AM
He made it through the night and is doing well, but NO POOP yet and he is not allowed to go home until he poops, the vet wants to see it.

14+kitties
August 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM
That's good he's doing well. Is he still on the meds? I hope he continues to improve. Sending more :goodvibes: yours and Malcolm's way!!

Frenchy
August 28th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Could it be that he's only constipated ? The first time one of my cats (from years ago) got constipated , he got real sick and stayed 3 days at the vet.

Love4himies
August 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
He is not vomiting so I don't think his intestines are blocked. It was the white foamy liquid that he expelled that the vet is concerned about.

hazelrunpack
August 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
How is he doing tonight, L4H? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 29th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I am so mad I could spit.

I stopped into the vets office on my way home to check on Malcolm. A vet tech stated he hadn't pooped so I asked if I could visit him and was told it was no problem. As I walked to the back room, the receptionist glared at me for what reason, I do not know. I did and since the vet was back there I was talking to her. They have no idea what it is, but his blood work is fine.

At five I get a call from the shelter manager and was told that I am NOT to visit the vet office, NOT to call the vet office and that I was PRIVILEDGED to be able to take my fosters to the vets as other fosters are not allowed to??? WTF? A priviledge, what kind of priviledge is that? She told me that SHE would decide when Malcolm comes home, who said I questioned that, there was absolutely no qestion there.

At this point I don't think I can foster for them any longer. I will not be treated like child and I do not have the personality to disconnect from my fosters emotionally. When they are sick I am worried sick about them, I don't sleep, I don't eat and I have colitis that flares when I am under stress. To sit in my office with no word until 1PM, not knowing if he made it through the night or not and not to be able to make a call to the vet office because the receptionist has a problem with me doesn't settle well with me. The manager does not have a cell phone so she is not always available to talk to me. BTW, my contract states that in life or death emergencies, I am to contact the vet office directly. AND their website states they are in desperate need for volunteers to drive cats to vet appts.

14+kitties
August 29th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Geezz, I don't blame you! I would be ticked too! Did they forget that it was you who brought Malcolm in in the first place? :frustrated::mad: Wow! I hope there is another shelter you can foster for. They should be glad they have someone who is concerned about her fosters enough that they are willing to do anything they can for them!

badger
August 29th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I'd cut these people loose immediately and I'd tell them why. Who do they think they are, jerking you around and scolding you for caring? Keep Malcom in your heart and let the rest go.
This is the dark side of rescue, no shortage of power trippers.

luckypenny
August 29th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I'd let the vet know about the ***** disturber in his office as well. And tell him/her that if it keeps up, you'll be taking your business elsewhere.

It's a shame the shelter manager doesn't value compassionate, caring fosters. Does she have someone she answers to? I'd have a talk with them as well concerning their policies and see if the manager is not interpreting them to suit her needs.

There are lots of Rescues out there that work together with their fosters, L4H, in the best interest of the animals. You should have no problem finding one that values and respects the care you can provide.

Jim Hall
August 29th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I am so mad I could spit.

I stopped into the vets office on my way home to check on Malcolm. A vet tech stated he hadn't pooped so I asked if I could visit him and was told it was no problem. As I walked to the back room, the receptionist glared at me for what reason, I do not know. I did and since the vet was back there I was talking to her. They have no idea what it is, but his blood work is fine.

At five I get a call from the shelter manager and was told that I am NOT to visit the vet office, NOT to call the vet office and that I was PRIVILEDGED to be able to take my fosters to the vets as other fosters are not allowed to??? WTF? A priviledge, what kind of priviledge is that? She told me that SHE would decide when Malcolm comes home, who said I questioned that, there was absolutely no qestion there.

At this point I don't think I can foster for them any longer. I will not be treated like child and I do not have the personality to disconnect from my fosters emotionally. When they are sick I am worried sick about them, I don't sleep, I don't eat and I have colitis that flares when I am under stress. To sit in my office with no word until 1PM, not knowing if he made it through the night or not and not to be able to make a call to the vet office because the receptionist has a problem with me doesn't settle well with me. The manager does not have a cell phone so she is not always available to talk to me. BTW, my contract states that in life or death emergencies, I am to contact the vet office directly. AND their website states they are in desperate need for volunteers to drive cats to vet appts. MAYBE EVERYONE WAS HAVING A BAD DAY?

Love4himies
August 29th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I don't pay for the foster's vet bills, but I can guarantee you, that my three cats will not be going there for service.

Love4himies
August 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Thank you for your kind words everybody, I am writing a letter to the president of the board.

I have given all my fosters the best of what I could afford and opened my home to provide them with a loving home environment until they were ready for adoption. I didn't deserve that call last night.

Chris21711
August 29th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I can't believe that you were treated like that L4H after all the work you do, it is beyond my comprehension that the Manager would dare talk that way with a foster parent when they are in such dire need of caring people. If the Vet had no problem speaking with you, what the h*ll has it got to do with a receptionist :confused:

badger
August 29th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Receptionists in vet clinics have a lot of power, some of them run with it. L4H, I'd write that letter cold, not focusing on your own hurt (they don't care) but on their methods of operating and, in particular, the b*tch who walked all over you. I hope she loses her job.

krdahmer
August 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I can't believe they treat someone volunteering their time and energy like that. Not only should you write the shelter about the manager but I would also write the vet about their conduct as well, as that is obviously where the complaints came from, no doubt a receptionist with the illusion of power! :frustrated:

More :goodvibes: & :pray: for little Malcolm!

Love4himies
August 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I got him!!!! The manager was going to leave him in the hosp for one more day. WTF, they don't have any money to waste. He is fine, except for a lot of muscle mass loss and his sister hissing at him. I have put baby powder on both of them and Sweet Pea as she is attacking him too.

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM
How is he doing tonight, L4H? Awesome that he's home! :grouphug: Familiar surroundings will help him regain the weight and muscle-mass!

growler~GateKeeper
August 29th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Glad to hear Malcolm is home. :goodvibes:

Makes you wonder what is going on between that vet clinic & the shelter if the receptionist is snitching. And why would it matter if you visit the kitten :shrug: it's not like you are taking the vet away from seeing other clients.

Winston
August 30th, 2008, 05:36 AM
How is Malcom this morning? I hope he had a better night!

14+kitties
August 30th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I am so glad that Malcolm is home! How relieved you must be. Let's hope he starts to build the muscles back now and is better than ever!! :fingerscr
Sending lots of :goodvibes: for continued improvement.

onster
August 31st, 2008, 10:01 PM
How is malcolm? :goodvibes:

Did they figure out what was wrong with him? He finally pooped?

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Sorry, I haven't had time all weekend to come online. Sat my daughter visited, Sunday went to Montreal to pick up a kitty condo, THANKS AGAIN, SOS MIOW and yesterday went into Kingston for ice cream and to view the boats.

Malcolm won't eat his raw or Kitten Wellness, he must associate it with his illness, but will eat raw hamburger. He has been eating Jasper's Instinct and Sweet Pea's Ogranics so that isn't too bad, but he really needs some raw. He has lost so much muscle mass, poor guy it will take some time to catch up to his sister.

He has turned into the BIGGEST SUCK! He wants constant attention, I think the vet techs must have carried him around the hospital all day :laughing:

Here is a blurry picture of Sweet Pea, Jasper and Malcom.

14+kitties
September 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
But the important thing is he is healthy again!!! Thank God! I have checked a few times this weekend to see if you had posted anything but figured when I didn't see any updates that you were busy. I am so glad Malcolm is coming around. And I don't mind the sucky thing. :cloud9: Lovely picture. It's nice to see them cuddled. :lovestruck:

Chris21711
September 2nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Happy to hear that he seems to be doing ok L4H. He is still young so has lots of time to regain his muscle back. Did you ever take it any further with the Vets about their receptionist or just decide to let it slide?

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
No I haven't. I was told it was the VET that didn't want to speak to any foster moms. How insane is that for getting health and med info? DH picked up Malcolm with his meds and they gave him 10 MORE days of clavamox, so DH asked manager, is this in addition to what he has at home or just 10 days from last Monday when he first started taking it. The manager didn't have a clue :frustrated:

Chris21711
September 2nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
That makes no sense, don't talk to foster parents, give meds to manager who doesn't know too much, talk about the blind leading the blind. :wall:

aslan
September 2nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
i was kinda thinking that too Chris, heaven forbid you keep the person who is actually caring for the animal informed.

growler~GateKeeper
September 3rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Great to hear Malcolm is doing better :highfive:

That's a sweet pic of the 3 kitties cuddling :lovestruck: :cloud9:

Love4himies
September 8th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Malcolm has finally fully recovered this weekend. He has all his energy and appetite back. This was a very stubborn bug taking almost two weeks for a full recovery, the last one I had to deal with (caliccivirus in the limbs, Sweet Pea's litter) only affected my kittens for three days.

Frenchy
September 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
:clap: woohoo Malcolm ! :thumbs up

Chris21711
September 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Sweet L4H, I did mention it in the tjt. Happy to hear the little guy is AOK :thumbs up

Love4himies
September 8th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I have been watching Matilda with an eagle eye, but no signs of anything. If she doesn't come running when I get up in the morning or walk into the house, my heart skips a beat. She is the first female kitten I have had who has a bigger appetite than her male sibblings.

krdahmer
September 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
That is so great! Glad to hear the little guy is feeling better! :thumbs up

14+kitties
September 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
That is wonderful!! I actually was going to ask you in another thread the other day but didn't want to threadjack. I am so glad he has his vim and vinegar back!!!
Yay Malcolm!!!! :highfive:

hazelrunpack
September 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM
WooooHooooo!

Good for Malcolm!! :highfive:

And :goodvibes: that Matilda stays healthy! :cat:

growler~GateKeeper
September 8th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Great news for Malcolm :highfive: and yes :goodvibes: Matilda stays healthy

Love4himies
September 9th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Thank you everybody :grouphug:

Malcolm and Matilda are scheduled to be altered on Friday and then will be put up for adoption in a couple of weeks :cry:

14+kitties
September 9th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Oh no, L4H! I think with Malcolm's issues you have gotten particularily close to him. :sad: Guess there's no way you can add a fourth? :rolleyes:

Will you be fostering for that shelter anymore or are you going to try to find another one that will give you a little more freedom with the vets? I know how bad you felt when Malcolm was sick.

:grouphug: for you. Hopefully this time passes slowly!

Love4himies
September 9th, 2008, 07:30 AM
14+, the manager asked me to foster again when M&M are gone, but I had to refuse. I still have not gotten over the stress of Malcolm and need some recovery time.

I have gotten particularly close to these two and so has DH. They are the first fosters to have free run of the house 24/7, but I can't possibly have 5 cats because of Sweet Pea and Puddles, it is too much work :sad:. Malcolm has the sweetest of expressions in his eyes, almost reminds me of Bunduk's. There has only been one other foster I got so close with and that was Bear, one of Sweet Pea's kittens. He was also black and loved to be picked up and cuddled.:cloud9: He was my baby Bear :cry:.

14+kitties
September 9th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I hear you! I have a hubby who is stressed with the six I have in here now. :D It doesn't bug me. I think they are doing really well.

Is this the same manager who a while back tore a strip off of you? She has a nerve!!! :frustrated:

chico2
September 9th, 2008, 07:58 AM
L4H,first off I am so relieved little Malcolm is back to his normal self:thumbs up
I totally missed this thread:yell:
But as I was reading every page,I got angrier by the minute,what complete BS,not letting the principal caretaker be involved,total idiocy:yell:

These people just don't know how lucky they are to have such a caring fostermom,but I am sure they'll realize that soon enough when you are no longer available.
I was sooo worried there would be bad news at the end,but very,very happy to read he's doing great:cat::cat:
So sorry,for the way you were treated:grouphug:

Love4himies
September 9th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I hear you! I have a hubby who is stressed with the six I have in here now. :D It doesn't bug me. I think they are doing really well.

Is this the same manager who a while back tore a strip off of you? She has a nerve!!! :frustrated:

Yup the same one. She said to DH that she doesn't remember the conversation the same way as I do.:frustrated:

14+kitties
September 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Yup the same one. She said to DH that she doesn't remember the conversation the same way as I do.:frustrated:

No, it seems they never do. And because she is the manager her word will be taken over yours if you pursue it. :frustrated: DH - is that hubby or District something or other? :o Sorry, not up to par on the different divisions of HS's.

Is there another HS you could foster for close by? Or are they the only ones?

You mentioned Sweet Pea and Puddles. Did you see the crate setup I use in Phoozles thread? I posted a picture there yesterday. Everyone is comfy cosy in there when they have to be confined.