Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Separation Anxiety....

Staciewells1
August 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Ours- not the dog's. We're leaving Eleanor for the first time in a few weeks. :eek:

We made reservations at a really nice kennel, but we're having second thoughts about it. She's really nervous and she had a bad experience last year with two big dogs. So, DH's co-worker volunteered to keep her at her home. (This is HUGE! He won't let anyone keep Ellie!! Not even my mother!:loser:)
Her shots are all up to date. She has brand-new tags, harness and leash. I have all of her emergency information ready to print up. I washed her favorite blanket this weekend, so it will have time to build a good, but not overwhelming, stink. I plan on packing a bag with her food, her anti-anxiety medication, a few toys, the blanket o' stink and some treats.

I just feel like there is something I'm not doing. I'm not saying she's spoiled, but if anyone out there does have a spoiled baby, how do you handle leaving them behind?:o

kathryn
August 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Haha umm okay I thought I was crazy about my cats :crazy:

Your doggie will be fine. Dog's don't really have much of an attention span and easily adjust to new situations (if they aren't nervous to begin with).

Umm so I'm pretty sure if his sitter keeps him occupied he won't miss you too much. My cat on the other hand goes crazy and we give him calming stuff now. But... he's a cat. They pay more attention to detail and have a mind of their own, hard to get them to behave.

I'm sure she will be fine.

*ps. what does DH stand for? i see it and similar things used over at another forum i look at*

Staciewells1
August 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM
DH= Dear Husband

Thanks for the quick reply.

jessi76
August 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM
If your dog knows this person and is familiar w/ this person's home, it should be fine. You should leave some of YOUR clothing, unwashed. i.e. - a t-shirt you slept in the night before or something. (no need to send all your dirty laundry w/ the dog... lol) but that way the dog has an article that smells like YOU. it can be very reassuring for an animal away from home. I send a worn T-shirt or fleece w/ my dog when I board him.

how long will you be gone? what type of dog is Ellie?

Staciewells1
August 25th, 2008, 10:26 PM
We're going to be gone for 10 days on a cruise- so we won't be able to come back on a moment's notice.

Ellie is a 6 yr old MinPin.

I like the idea of sending a 'gently worn' shirt. Everytime I start to do laundry, I find her in the middle of the stack of dirties- fast asleep.