Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick, just so sick.

Spoiled
July 15th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I got this book called Food Pets Die For by Ann N. Martin. This book has some of the most sickest things about pet food in it. Has anyone read it? This is for all the owners who feed their pets junk. Here is a dirrect quote from the book:

I also learned that there are many deplorable ingredients that legally can be used in pet foods as sources of protein - in particular, euthanized cats and dogs, diseased cattle and horses, readkill, dead zoo animals, and meat not fit for human consumption. In addition, souces of fiber in many foods are composed of the leftovers from the food chain, including beet pulp, the residue of sugar beets, peanut hulls, and even sawdust sweepings from the floor of the rendering plant.

Is this what most owners feed their pets without knowing it? YES!! :mad:

Cactus Flower
July 15th, 2004, 04:06 PM
*giggles* Surely you didn't mean to type "plants" there.......I've no guilt whatsoever over what I feed my plants! LOL :)

Anyway, ICK. Sawdust???

Probably a good thing we don't know what's in half the food WE eat, either.

Catt31
July 15th, 2004, 08:10 PM
GROSSSS!!!!!!!! That is nasty!! :eek:

Spoiled
July 15th, 2004, 09:05 PM
OK, what I wrote was really funny. Thanks for pointing that out. I got a good laugh out of it myself. But still, what they are doing to these euthanized animals is just sick.

chico2
July 16th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Spoiled,I feel good knowing my 4 previous cats are buried in my backyard and did not turn into pet-food.
I suppose to be absolutely sure of what you are feeding your pets,the only solution is to make it yourself,or really trust that what is written under ingredients,is thouroughly explained in plain English.

MBRA518
July 16th, 2004, 10:04 AM
I agree, euthanized animals in food is gross... but I wanted to add...

nothing wrong with beet pulp, it a great source of fat, and is often fed to horses that have trouble keeping weight - I haven't used it myself, but I know it doesn't have a lot of nutrients itself, but it helps put weight on the horse without over feeding on other nutrients (doing that can be bad for the horse - even fatal) - it's often used when rehabilitating starved horses too.

Just an interesting tidbit.

TalonsMa
July 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM
omg...that is disgusting :(

glasslass
July 16th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Wasn't this type of thing associated with Mad Cow Disease? :confused:

Spoiled
July 16th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure not for the pets, but for the cows I was hearing of it. I read further in the book that every four inches of a diseased animal had to be injected with poison to take the disease out. The only problem with this is that the poison they use is poisonous to our pets, to. :mad:

This is absoloutly the BEST book. It has awakened me to so many facts I knew nothing about. :)