Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

nail trimming

dmacken2
August 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
How do you get a fairly large dog to allow his nails to be clipped without anesthesia? We've tried Benedryl and that had no effect. He became skiddish after a groomer nipped him one time. Thanks for the help.

t.pettet
August 22nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
You could take him to your vets or try the bribery method which is get him to lie down with another person holding his collar, clip just the tip of 1 or 2 nails, lots of praise and his favorite treat. Continue this process everyday until he starts to relax and looks forward to the routine then you can start taking a little more off each nail.

Chaser
August 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
I second what t.pettet said, but in addition would recommend clipping nails in the same way that people trim horses hooves. Have your dog stand, with someone kneeling in front of him to distract with treats. Then gently lift each paw up and backwards, with your non-clipping arm tucked under his tummy to keep him standing....the idea is to do the clipping out of the dog's line of sight. They are far less upset by what they can't see. My guy is fine with this method, but if I try to trim his nails with his leg stretched out in front of him, he actually bites me! :eek:

Or just carefully select a new groomer! A good one will be able to work past your dog's fear. :)

Sylvie
August 23rd, 2008, 07:41 AM
I agree try the dog in the standing position. Bribes never hurt anyone.. One of our shepherds is 6 and we used to hate nail cutting time:eek::yell:

Then when we started the standing method with me in front holding gently it is done in no time. We also have a golden that runs to have his nails done. My husband gets the cutters out and squeezes them and he will come running from anywhere in the house. :shrug:

Good luck

hazelrunpack
August 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Our newest dog, Grace, was a hard sell on the whole nail trimming thing, too. We first desensitized her to having her paws handled, then transitioned to clipping the nails. So basically we started by associating some word (we use 'paw') with handling her paws, and went from there. Once she was comfortable enough to actually offer us her paws on command, we started clipping. We use the 'clip them while they're standing' method, too. Grace will now let us clip the nails on 3 of her 4 paws, but that last paw has been a struggle. I she's unwilling to give up that last link to her unkempt and unclipped youth... :rolleyes: :laughing: