Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is my cat 'grooming' me?

lm9012
August 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
My 9 month kitten is super affectionate and loving..within the first five seconds of me meeting her, i reached my hand in to her crate, and she stretched out her little paw, and gave me a baby high five, and licked my hand...Yea that was it, she was going with me!!!

She licks us constantly, I am awoken every morning to a rough kitty tongue on my cheek..and man is that little tongue rough...especially on your face, it can be uncomfortable after a while! If i cover my face with my blanket, she'll lick my arm, anywhere she sees skin. When I come home from work, I'm greeted to more kitty kisses..If you let her she will just sit on my boyfriends' shoulder and lick his head all day.

I just love her, and love that she is showing affection...She does it so much and she's my first cat I just wonder do cats do this to show affection? or does she think i'm her kitten? is she just 'grooming' me? Everyone I know that has a cat says theirs doesn't do it. :confused:

Please give me some insight to kitty behavior!

bendyfoot
August 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Our oldest cat is a kisser. Lick, lick, lick. All the time, on any skin surface she can get. Our Riley :rip: used to groom our hair in the middle of the night. Slurp, slurp, slurp. It would get really wet. Solomon has done the hair grooming thing a handful of times. I think eat cat has their own personality when it comes to kissing.

Love4himies
August 22nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Kitties who are very close will groom each other as it is a comfort feeling to the receiver, so yes, it is a sign of affection for you. ;)

krdahmer
August 22nd, 2008, 01:53 PM
When I got my very first cat, Cordelia, I had to stop sleeping with my stuffed puppy (after 21 years :rolleyes:)... she took to grooming him all night while I slept... she was grooming the fur right off his ears! :laughing:

I get groomed all the time here, my giant forhead seems to be Buddy's favorite. And Asker will roll around in my hair if I leave it over the arm of the couch. I even get love nips from Buddy when he is rubbing his face on my face at breakfast... the first time I jumped back thinking he was biting me... but now I know it doesn't really hurt.

I think it's so sweet when a pet is so close to you they make grooming you a part of their routine! Makes you feel such a part of their world! :cloud9:

Jim Hall
August 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
yup your hers all right you got owned :thumbs up

Soter
August 23rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
i'm no way a kitty expert, but i must say that does sound awful cute!!:lovestruck:

kiara
August 23rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
This is just a part of your cat's personality, probably a bit excessive. Never met a licker before and we fostered many. Maybe your cat needs another cat for company to express affection to it? I would advise to close your bedroom door at night, so that you can get some sleep!

14+kitties
August 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Kitty could be just a touch neurotic too. Excessive licking could be the way it is manifesting itself. Your vet can put her on a low dose of Valium or some other medication IF the licking becomes a problem to her AND you have ruled out ALL other possibilities like food allergies, fleas, etc.

lm9012
August 28th, 2008, 06:11 PM
oh gosh..i hope it isn't anything too serious, like emotional or neurotic! For now, it isn't a problem per say..I was just curious, with her being my first cat, what the behavior meant. I wouldn't imagine locking her or my dog out of my room. We are a pack, and stick together. She is now starting to do it to Albert, my dog. If I'm not looking, I can tell he's enjoying it, if he gets one glance of me looking at them, he immediately composes himself and gets up away from her. :laughing:

Right now with the two of them we are a full house, my boyfriend and I will move in together soon and he has two parakeets, plus we'd like fishes too. And I fostered about 9 dogs last year and would love to start again soon.

So I don't know if adopting another cat is an option. She doesn't seem bored to me. She loves all her toys, and when I come home I pay tons of attention to both of them, and I play with her as much as I can. She has several scratchers, bags, boxes and about a hundred bottle caps to play with!

I think it's adorable, and only find it a bit annoying at 6 AM! :rolleyes: But we make do!

Thanks for the insight!