Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bad Beagle Behaviour...

Beagle7777
July 15th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a young 9 year old, female, spayed Beagle. I have had her since she was a puppy at 8 weeks old. I treat her like a person, I talk to her and she understands most of what I say...she has a large vocabulary. I take her everyday for an interesting walk, either to the off-leash park, or window shopping or visiting friends. She eats well, is kinda picky about her food (only because I am I think) and she's healthy and up to date on all her shots.

Chelsea is submissive, not overly...she knows her place in the pack. I have never had a problem with the hierarchy between us. She is playful and goofy.

Chelsea, my Beagle has lived in an apartment most of her life, we go out often, more than dogs who have their own yard. I have also had a roommate most of the time that I have had her. Many different people, male or female.

I have a problem right now, that I don't really understand....maybe I do...but I don't know what to do about it....I need help.

I have a male roommate right now, who is asian, he's younger than me, quiet and doesn'nt know anything about pets or dogs. He doesn't ever "talk" to Chelsea, like I do.

Right now, I am home from work, between jobs, which means I am home most of the day with Chelsea. We go out during the day for pee breaks, but thats about it.

When my roommy gets home from work she runs to the door, alerting me that he's coming in. She is very happy to see him....THEN...she will go into the kitchen and pee on the floor...or go into the livingroom and pee on the floor (hardwood).

When He first moved in she went into his room and peed "IN" his bed....big puddle! She knew she did it...she had that "pissed-off" look on her face!

The other night she climbed on top of my bed (where she normally sleeps) and peed in the middle of my duvet!

So...I'm thinking that she has a problem with my roommy. Maybe she wants him to talk to her like I do, maybe she feels disrespected by him? Maybe she's trying to fight for dominance.

She's telling me something...but what?

Lucky Rescue
July 15th, 2004, 01:42 PM
I know someone else whose dog started doing this very thing. It turns out her roommate was being abusive to the dog when she was not home. I'm not saying this is what is happening in your case, but if your roommate dislikes Chelsea, she may be picking up on that.

BUT, for a spayed dog that age, the cause could easily be medical. She might merely have a bladder infection, and indescrimate peeing is one sign of that as this is often the way animals communicate discomfort.

She needs a vet check.

Beagle7777
July 15th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Thank you for your reply. Chelsea was checked by a vet last week and all is ok....he believes its a behavioural thing. :confused:

Lucky Rescue
July 15th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Was she checked specifically for a bladder infection?

If she was and there is none, then she may be upset or stressed. Dogs usually mark this way if they are feeling insecure. Putting their scent around makes them feel more secure by making things "theirs" when they leave their scent.

There have been a few changes (new roommate, you being home) and Chelsea may be trying to reassure herself by the peeing.

Never scold her for this - not saying you do, but just in case.;) You say
We go out during the day for pee breaks, but thats about it.

So there are no more long walks? She may be missing this, and everything combined may be making her pee, because nothing is any longer the way she was used to it.

For now, keep the bedroom doors closed if possible, so a habit doesn't form. Take her out for longer periods - exercise is always good. Play with her with whatever toys she likes. Dogs can't play and be stressed at the same time.

When in the house, keep her in sight, even if you have to attach her to you by her leash. Don't allow her to sneak off and pee. If she looks as though she is even thinking of peeing, give a "Ah ah!" and take her right outside. Praise when she goes outside, as you would with a puppy.

Use something to remove the odor of pee completely - something like "Nature's Miracle".

Hopefully, all these things will help her adjust to the changes in her life.

Spoiled
July 15th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Do you have a kennel? If your room mate is abusive, a kennel is Chelsea's place, where she can run when frightened. If you don't have one, then maybe you can get one. It helps a lot with security issues with my dog.

If you notice a patteren begining to form, like your room mate gets home, Chelsea runs to meet him, then she goes right to the middle of the floor and pees, try taking her out right after she sees your room mate. Maybe she just gets too excited after she sees him.

Beagle7777
July 16th, 2004, 01:18 AM
No......I am off work...but I am trying to keep her daily schedule up...we go out for pee beaks sometimes. But in the evening its all the same...long walks etc. Read the post.

No.......she does not have a medical problem....its behavioural.

My roommy talked to her tonight, said hello to her when he came home, talked to her while he was watching tv.....and she seemed happier.....no pee!