Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do flea bites look like???!!

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 05:46 PM
I found a few red blotches on Keely today.. I cant take pictures becoause my bro is gone off with the camera!! They arent raised spots, just big blotches. And theres only 4- 5 of them! please help!~!!:cry:

aslan
August 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM
if your concerned about fleas, check inside her ears, rub the fur between her eyes, seperate the fur on her back right where her tail meets, if you see what looks like tiny black sand, yup you got fleas, if not, could be fly or mosquito bites.

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
i didnt see any black stuff. BUt i did see ALOT more blotches. They are ALmo0st the size of a dime. Would flea bites get that big?

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM
Oh and she isnt scratching, and she doesnt seem to mind when i touch them :shrug:

aslan
August 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM
no flea bites wouldn't get that big, could be ant bites, i suggest taking her to the vet, she could have an allergy...

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 08:48 PM
We have an appointment made for the 3rd of Sept. We Cant get in before that:cry: If its an allergy can she go that long? Does it sound serious enough to have to take her to the E-vet and pay $1200(:rolleyes:) for a check up(i will post pictures later when my bro gets home, hes flying in today from alberta and should be at the house within a few hours:fingerscr) I dont know how to explain what they look like but i will try my best. They are a pink color on the inside and they have a dark red Outer ring, they arent really as big as dimes but pretty close, and i have searchered her entire body and i have found 18 (i only saw a few at first but then i looked closer and found alot more) some are right next to each other but some are all by there lonesome. She dont have any on her belly or on the inside of her legs. But she has 1 on the bottom of the base of her tail, one right next to her bum. A few on the wide parts of her back legs. some on her back and neck and head and she has a few on her chest area. If it isnt fleas (which i hope its not) WTH is it? I have looked up pictures of flea bites and they dont look like this.. Flea bites look more clumped up into a group then spread around (from the pictures ive seen) and they also are bumps, these arre fairly flat. I hope shes not seriously Ill, i wont be able to handle it :cry: I dont understand, I know dogs that are completely outdoor dogs that never gets bathed or taken to the vet, and they barely get human attention, but they seem healthy(and fairly happy considering the life they are living )and they live very long lives, I treat my girl like a queen and she already has a weird skin irritation and an ear infection! :yell::frustrated: :fingerscr

aslan
August 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
lol, calm down little mommy, what your describing sounds like ant bites, has she been lying out in the lawn, remember she has very fine hair, she's a baby so her skin is sensitive. Now is her ear infected or dirty, clean them with applecidar vinegar if just dirty, is the ear warm to the touch?

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
we already went to the vet last week about the ear infection and we got some Ear cleansor and some ear drops, It seems to be clearing up nicely:goodvibes:
She does be out on the lawn, but i havent seen ants on the lawn before :S. Would the ants bite her all over like this?

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
BTW- Thank you so much for listening and helping and caring!!! Its a great help! :thumbs up

Frenchy
August 21st, 2008, 09:02 PM
Could be mosquito bites ? Or allergies , and yes IMO , it can wait 2 more weeks. If it doesn't bother her , and if it doesn't get worse , don't worry about it.

aslan
August 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM
BM go to this site and see if it looks like any of these and read the questions...

www.biteremedy.com

and your welcome that's what we're here for.

Frenchy
August 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM
I dont understand, I know dogs that are completely outdoor dogs that never gets bathed

My dogs get only 2-3 baths a year. Bathing your dog too often will irritate their skin. But in between bath , there's what they call a "dry shampoo" (it is liquid) you can put it in a spray bottle , spray the dog and towell dry. It remove the excess dirt from their fur. :thumbs up

kathryn
August 21st, 2008, 09:13 PM
That sounds like ringworm to me :shrug: I don't have as much experience with dogs as the other users on here though.

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 09:13 PM
thanks for the link aslan. Would flea bites look the same on dogs as humans? cause my mom has little itchy bumps on her ankles, but it dont look one bit like keely has :S

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM
That sounds like ringworm to me :shrug: I don't have as much experience with dogs as the other users on here though.

Ringworm:yell::eek: Is that serious? Sounds serious to me:sad: What is it?

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM
:sad:http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee333/keely_momma/ringworm.jpg

This is what it looks like, only Keelys are Much smaller, and light in the middle. All her furr is still around it and the outer ring is much darker. Keely had 18 of these!! And this dog only has two? Why would she have so many?:cry:

aslan
August 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM
www.pets.ca/encyclopedia/ringworm.htm

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 09:33 PM
I dunno why, but i dont think its ringworm :S I will post pictures as soon as i can!

kathryn
August 21st, 2008, 09:38 PM
Eeepp don't freak out!! I was just taking a guess. I'm no pro and I can't help you out anymore until you can get a picture.

luckypenny
August 21st, 2008, 11:27 PM
Babymomma, that does sound like ringworm but don't worry, it's nothing to panic over. Ringworm is a fairly common fungal infection and is treated with anti-fungal creams that you can get over the counter at the pharmacy. I'd have your vet take a look at it sooner if possible because it is often contagious and you can get it as well. Nothing to worry about, just make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after handling her. If it is ringworm, and if your vet will charge you more than 10$ for the cream, just ask him the name of a human equivalent and pick it up at the pharmacy (no prescription needed).

You might want to contact her breeder and mention it to her as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworm

kigndano
August 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
*ahem*

ask your vet about heartgard

*end of advertisement*

babymomma
August 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
*ahem*

ask your vet about heartgard

*end of advertisement*

:laughing: Will Do! :thumbs up