Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Now *there's* a smart idea....

pitgrrl
August 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM
So I'm walking Basil and Streets the other night, and by night I mean like 11pm, when we turn a corner and see something just unbelievable.

Standing there is a tiny little girl, no more than 8 tops, walking 2 GSD. No parents or adults of any kind in sight, just strolling through the alley with these two huge dogs. It was almost a sweet image, except for the fact that it was totally insane!

I would have liked to go ask her where her parents were, but I was not about to risk having to break up a 4 dog pile up by myself.

Anyways, I kind of figured it must just have been a really weird one time thing. Clearly I was totally wrong because last night I see her walking the dogs again.

There is no real point to this thread, besides to ask, what in the :censored: are people thinking?

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 01:45 PM
hmmm... Maybe if you see her again you should approach her and ask her? Sounds very odd to me.. Maybe the german shepherds a very protective of her and her parents thought she'd be fine (still no excuse) .. Were they pulling her ?

Folkwitch
August 21st, 2008, 01:46 PM
I remember seeing a very small old man walking a rottweiler, and my thought at the time was that I'm sure it's a very good dog, well trained and it loves it's owner, but if that dog sees something it wants it's going to drag that poor man until it decides to stop. I would not entrust my dog's well-being to someone who doesn't have the strength to stop him from running into traffic if he felt like it, regardless of whether it's my own child or parent.

lotus
August 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM
Crazy:eek: :wall:I just don't know what to say. Some people just don't care. I have a 16 and 14 year old still at home and they both have to be in the house by 9:30 or at least in the yard. 16 year old hates me but hay he'll thank me later.(the older ones have)

pitgrrl
August 21st, 2008, 01:52 PM
I remember seeing a very small old man walking a rottweiler, and my thought at the time was that I'm sure it's a very good dog, well trained and it loves it's owner, but if that dog sees something it wants it's going to drag that poor man until it decides to stop. I would not entrust my dog's well-being to someone who doesn't have the strength to stop him from running into traffic if he felt like it, regardless of whether it's my own child or parent.

Oh, now this bring up the story of Streets and Basil's arch nemesis "The Rottweiler". :laughing:

There's a very, very old man who lives about 2 blocks from me. He walks his giant rottie mix twice a day like clockwork. When I first moved into the area we had our introduction to this dog when he tried to climb over the hood of a car to get and my dogs who were across the street. A passer by had to stop and help the old man because he did not have the strength to hold his dog back.

To this day, if Basil and Streets hear this dog bark (and you can hear him bark a block or more away) they get really worked up. We've had to run away from them on more than a few occasions because the old man just doesn't react, change his pace or route for anything. :yell:

ancientgirl
August 21st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Both of your stories are insane. People just have no clue, and then when something happens they go crazy to blame someone else.

krdahmer
August 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM
:headslap: I had to be home when the streetlights came on until I was at least 14-15!! Dog or no dog... a girl that age isn't safe at those hours... anywhere. You never know who's lurking out there these days... are those parents insane??? I know it's good for her to be responsible, but isn't there a better hour to do so??

Dog Dancer
August 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah I don't understand people at all sometimes. I walked my two 65 lb dogs together once when I had been really sick with the flu. I knew I was weak, but didn't anticipate that they would literally drag me off my feet when they spied a cat during our walk. I no longer walk them together if I've been ill just because if they react together, even as an adult who is supposed to be in control of them, you can't always anticipate what a dog will do and I don't want that to happen again. Fortunately for me (and the cat) I did hang on to the dogs and nothing was hurt but my pride:rolleyes:

Love4himies
August 22nd, 2008, 07:12 AM
I can't believe any responsible parent would allow their young child out at 11PM :eek:, let alone being responsible for two dogs.:sad::mad:

aslan
August 22nd, 2008, 07:24 AM
i too had to be in when the streetlights came on, as does my nephew today. I'm kinda interested in why is an 8yr old still up at 11, let alone out walking the dogs.

rainbow
August 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
If an 8 yr old girl is outside that late at night then the parents are likely either working (I'm thinking single parent home) or else out partying and couldn't care less about the poor girl.

I hope she stays safe. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Longblades
August 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
I would call the police about that little girl. They can intervene and perhaps alert whatever childrens' services operate where you are.

NoahGrey
August 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
A passer by had to stop and help the old man because he did not have the strength to hold his dog back.

This frustates me. People who can't control their dogs. If you can't control the breed, you shouldn't have it.

ACO22

Soter
August 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
I can't believe any responsible parent would allow their young child out at 11PM :eek:, let alone being responsible for two dogs.:sad::mad:

my words exactly!
any crazy stranger would be walking around more at night than in the day if you ask me. her parents probably think she is safe from kidnapping with the 2 dogs, but what if the dogs did something crazy.:eek:

i can't imagine what would happen in either situation:confused:

chico2
August 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
On my street a 9yr old girl and her 6yr old brother walk their Newf every day after school.
Mind you Cody is an exemplary dog,incredibly obedient,does not flinch when another dog walks by.
What bothers me the most about this story,is a young girl out on her own at that time and if the dogs would decide to go after another dog,she would not stand a chance.
We read often how young children get abducted and molested,often they were out way too late and without supervision.
Heck,I don't even walk outside at 11pm alone,not unless I had a couple of large dogs with me.

Chaser
August 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
I second the suggestion that you call police if you know where she lives or when you see her again. That level of lack of supervision is something that Children's Aid should investigate.