Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joyce Smith, who died Monday at 79, took in pets that no one else wanted at her Secon

clm
August 21st, 2008, 08:36 AM
http://www.thestar.com/News/Obituary/article/482666

Love4himies
August 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM
What a wonderful woman.

It broke my heart when I read the quote of the kitties who die of a broken heart as their owners drive away.

chico2
August 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM
clm,yes,another angel on earth has passed:sad:
I am glad you put the article here,I was just going too,but was not sure how.
I am also pleased the Toronto Star gave her a 1/2page tribute,maybe some money will be coming in to keep her sanctuary going,or at least find homes for her animals:pray:

ancientgirl
August 21st, 2008, 09:04 AM
What a wonderful person she was. I hope they can find a way to keep her sanctuary open, as well as find homes for those poor babies.

That really was very sad, her comment about the cats with broken hearts. The few times I've had to leave any of my gang at the vets over night it breaks my heart knowing they might think I'm never coming back for them.:sad:

People like this woman are so few. Losing them leaves a very big hole to fill.

kathryn
August 21st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Oh man, I hope someone steps in and does something about this. Did she not think of taking out a life insurance policy? I know people don't even want to talk about that kind of stuff, but when I got my first job they gave me a 50,000 dollar one for free. My mom even said I could leave it to my cat Maxwell if I wanted too :laughing:. It's really not that hard to get a policy though and it could have kept them taken care of for a few months until they could sort everything out.
:rip:

ancientgirl
August 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
Kathryn, it sounded to me like she might have figured she'd have time to do that. It's a good idea to do though. I'm thinking about it myself.

14+kitties
August 21st, 2008, 11:44 AM
OMG, that woman had a beautiful soul. We need so many more like her. My heart is breaking for those poor animals left alone. What are their chances now? My heart is breaking for her.

kathryn - it's all well and good to say yes, she should have had a life insurance policy. Did you notice the article said she paid approx $8000 a month for vets? Now how would she come up with extra to pay for an insurance policy? They aren't cheap. If they are, run like hell. They aren't paid for right away. It is sometimes hard to come up with that stipend every month to pay for something for herself.

It sounds to me like she was an angel here on earth. God Bless her. We need many more.

chico2
August 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
The one big problem is that she was leasing the property and the owner will more than likely want the animals out:sad:
Life-Insurance is great,but like 14+said,defenitely not cheap,any money she received went for food and care for the animals.