Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Den-Den attacked - at vet!

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 11:35 AM
I just came home from taking Den-Den to the vet! I'm just in shock and falling apart. Just before 7a Den-Den went outside thru the doggie door and I heard what sounded like a cat fight outside. I ran out and two dogs next door had gotten into our yard and had hold of Den-Den between them pulling and shaking him. I screamed at them and they ran out. Den-Den ran into the house, whether thru the doggie door or thru the slider I had left open, I can't remember. He has two small wounds on the side of his neck and a small bit of blood on his back foot. Very scared and quiet. I rushed him to his vet which opened at 7:30 and the vet got there at 8 and took him right in first. They're going to sedate him a little and take Xrays and he may have to have a drainage tub. He said they'll observe him for a while to be sure he's ok. I can call to check on him after 12p. If I hadn't been home, he would have been torn apart in his own backyard where he's supposed to be safe. I can't stop shaking & crying!

sammiec
July 15th, 2004, 11:37 AM
OH GLASSLASS!!! I'm soooo sorry!!! (((HUGS))) I hope everything works our for Den-Den. Where was the neighbour? What kinda dogs to they have? OH... We're here for you!!!!

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 11:51 AM
I haven't seen the neighbor. The house next door is a rental and we don't know them personally. They've had several loud parties in the wee hours with really odd people coming and going (mohawks, shaved heads, massive tattoos). I work at a college around young people so I don't want to lump them into a "type". But without all the fashion statements, they look more like drop-outs than student types. They have 4 large mixed breeds, not always all are in their yard. I've seen a dalmation/mix, a german shorthair/mix, and a couple pit/mix. They have come into our front yard before and didn't seem particular agressive. I've chased them back home before. The neighbors must be home, there are 2 vans parked out front and the dogs are in the house now evidently. I can't tell you which two dogs it was. Everything happened so fast and I just can't remember. My first concern was Den-Den.

sammiec
July 15th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Absolutely! I understand, Den_Den should be your first concern. It's amazing just how fast it does happen though. Do they even know that anything happened??

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 12:18 PM
I don't know. There aren't any dogs in their yard now, which is unusual. I'm not blaming them as they're renting and their landlord doesn't do any maintenance. I notice they have a swamp cooler in the window which tells me either the air conditioner doesn't work or they can't afford the electricity bill to operate it. We should have been checking the fence more frequently and noticed the loose board. A year ago, we tried to get them/or landlord to trim a palmtree that is on their property but drops stuff all over our patio. They couldn't afford it and the landlord didn't return our calls. So, we paid to have it trimmed. We can afford the vet bill. I know it would be futile to even ask. We own our home. Our house is on a corner at the entrance to the sub-division. The houses behind us used to be model homes (30 years ago) and are now rentals. Just writing seems to be helping me calm down and focus. Thanks!

lauriem
July 15th, 2004, 12:23 PM
I'm so sorry poor den-den! I would definately tell the neighbors ask them to pay your vet fee and mention that they should not leave the large dogs unattended. This could have easily killed your little guy. (not to mention a child).

How did they get into your yard? You are soooooo right to worry about Den-Den when you're not home, you may have to block the doggie door, just for peace of mind while you're out.

let us know how he's doing.
Laurie

Lucky Rescue
July 15th, 2004, 12:23 PM
OMG, I'm SOOOO sorry to hear this!!:( You must have been just frantic!! Poor little doggy.

As for these dogs, even if the landlord does not maintain the fence, it is the responsibility of these people to keep their dogs off other property!!

They are also responsible for some of your vet bills. Take pictures of the injuries, and also of the hole in the fence.

stbeachy
July 15th, 2004, 12:36 PM
You will be (and more importantly...DenDen) will be in my prayers.

We have a neighbor who had a cat, a HUGE cat. It used to chase our two cats all over and I would yell at it and chase it off. Then one day one of our cats came up missing....terrible for my 4 year old. (He still asks about Mitty and it was almost 2 years ago) THEN one day I came home to a crying kitty laying in my flower bed in the pouring rain. I rushed my son to my sisters and rushed to the vet's...they had to stay and wait on us, it was after hours. There wasn't anything we could do for her. Her temp was so low that the vet thought she should have been dead. So they kept her over night and her back hip was broken and had had a lot of trauma areas on her body. The vet said they couldn't no much and suggested putting her down. She said even if they WERE able to fix the fracture, she would most likely not have bladder control and we would have to help her pee. It was awful to have to make that decision, and THEN have to explain to my son that Cali had died at the doctor. :( Praise God you caught them and were home to not let it go any further. We just knew (but couldn't proove) it was our neighbor's cat since we had seen it chasing them in such a MEAN way. What do you do!?!?!

Lots of love from our family to yours.

Good luck!

Cactus Flower
July 15th, 2004, 01:01 PM
It's ok if you're "not blaming them", GlassLass- I'll do that for you!!!
It is impressive that you've noted responsibility for the hole in your fence, BUT those pet owners ARE responsible for having their dogs uncontained, and for their dogs attacking Den-Den on YOUR PROPERTY. I won't tell you what to do, but whether or not you press the issue, of course you know that they should assist in paying the vet bills- as a matter of principle, if nothing else. What if the owners learn little or nothing from this, and their dogs kill another dog?

Anyway, I'm very very sorry for you and little Den-Den. I've grown quite attached to his image here ("DenDen- No Polish, No Bows" lol), and your open and unbiased commentary. Here's a big cyber-hug for both of you, and a prayer for his quick recovery and your peace of mind.

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 01:03 PM
My husband left work and came home to fix the fence while we were at the vets. A board was loose at the bottom of the fence. The top part was still attached but the dogs were able to push past it at the bottom. I just heard the dogs out there. Looked over the fence and there were 3 pits out there. I don't know where the dalmation or german shorthair were. I don't know where the 3rd pit came from. They barked at me but didn't seem aggressive. Irresponsible owners! :mad:

Lucky Rescue
July 15th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Sorry to go a little off track here, but stbeachy, it sounds to me like your cat may have been hit by a car. I've seen the consequences of incredibly vicious cat fights and never yet seen a cat who broke another's bones. The neighbour's cat may have chased yours out in front of a car.

stbeachy
July 15th, 2004, 01:30 PM
I sent you a PM...but you are right, that is Possible. Shouldn't go blaming them.

Luba
July 15th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Oh dear that must have felt so traumatic!

(hugs) and deep breaths go a long way (I'm doing them myself after reading this) That musta been terrifying.

I agree with LR take pictures!! Pleaaaase keep us posted!

Wanna nother hug? (hugs)

And this is for the bad doggie owners

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 02:55 PM
The wound on his neck looked small and only a little blood. I'm sure that means it's a puncture wound. It has helped so much to be able to tell about it. I was supposed to go in to a staff meeting at the library this afternoon, even though I'm off this month. I called in and told them I wouldn't be in. Everyone has been calling me ever since to encourage and ask about Den-Den. I'll be able to call in shortly to the vet to see how he is. I'll have to dig out the digital camera. My husband may have it with him at work.
I'm afraid that these people (neighbors) may become super defensive and turn us off if we bring up vet bills. I believe the main tenants there are a mother and son in his mid-20's. The mother works all day and the son does nothing from what I've been able to tell. I'd rather talk with her and try to keep it civil. Maybe, we can pay for the materials and they can help with the labor to do whatever is necessary to make sure this doesn't happen again. I want to find out why there are so many dogs there. Are they taking care of friends' dogs too? They've been there about 5 years (people, not dogs) and this is the first problem. I don't want it to ever happen again. I've heard small kids over there too, but I don't think they're there all the time. Maybe they'll cooperate and realize they need to do something! At least, best scenario?

Luba
July 15th, 2004, 03:23 PM
If you can't find your digi cam 'lass go to the drug store or something and just get one of those disposable ones.

I didn't read, did you find out if these dogs have their rabies vaccinations?

Goldenmom
July 15th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I feel very, very bad for you and your family. This is horrible when this happens. Thank god, never happened to me!

My thought is that you cannot positively identify the dogs that attacked. Yes, all evidence etc. points to the 4 dogs beside you, but you yourself said you don't think you could tell which ones. This is my only concern, if you approach them, or take any action.

Take care and please keep us updated.

Heather

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Now there are 5 dogs over there! 3 pits, a black lab, and a rott! Still don't see the german shorthair, or the dalmation. What are they doing? We have a city ordinance that you can't have more than 2 dogs and/or 3 cats. They probably think it's ok if they're not fighting amongst themselves. I hate to call animal control without trying to deal with them first and maybe if they're uncooperative it'll be too late to call AC later? You're right, I need to take a picture to be able to prove there's 5 if it comes to that.

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 04:17 PM
I don't know about their vaccinations. Den-Den is current with all of his. I talked to the vet. There's just the one place on his neck and they are putting in a drainage tube. He said there's quite a bit of tissue that has been torn loose inside. There are several red spots where it looks like he was grabbed, but didn't puncture through. They're still checking him over but the vet came to the phone to talk to me. He says he'll be fine. I can call just before 5p and if he's doing ok, I can bring him home with pain medications.

Luba
July 15th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Can you not have animal control contact them to verify if the dogs have been vaccinated? I would be terrified!

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 04:57 PM
I've decided to call them and not wait. I think they need to see how many dogs are there, before this situation changes. So that you can visualize, I've scanned a previous photo of Den-Den in his yard. He was attacked up on the brick patio between the racoon fountain and the blue pot in the middle of the picture. You can't see his doggie door. It's in the corner on the upper left. They came through the fence just to the right of where the "keep left" sign is hanging.

Luba
July 15th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Ohh poor little Den-Den (big hugs to you and licks from Sadie)

I'm so upset about this today. I've been coming on looking to see if there are any updates.

Has the vet called you yet? Have those a'holes even come to you to see how Den Den is ?

chico2
July 15th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Glasslass,I am so sorry for you and little Den-Den,it must have been a terrible experience for you both,hopefully she'll recover quickly...thank g
God you were there to help him.
As for the neighbors,it sounds suspicious,with so many different dogs,unless she has a doggie-daycare or fosters dogs?
I would still call the Animal Control,just to report it,maybe they are only dog-aggressive to strange dogs,but that's bad enough :mad: if they are running loose.
Also talk to the owners,unless you are afraid of them,let them know what happened,even if they have no money to give you.

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 05:56 PM
I called Animal Control. First time I've ever needed to. What an experience! The tel# listed under City of Modesto connected me to the County where a interactive voice tree asked me if I wanted English, Spanish, etc. Then emergency/non-emergency (non-this is after the attack is all over), inside/outside city limits, live/dead animal, etc. etc. etc. Finally, someone came on the line and I started to explain what happened. She interrupted me and I realized I was being transferred somewhere else. Then the police dept who then transferred me to their AC unit. I started to explain I was concerned about if the dogs were vaccinated or not, and what was going on over there. She interrupted me and asked "What do you mean what's going on over there?" I replied "Why they have so many large dogs! I know it's illegal and don't think it's safe!" To which she asked "Why is it illegal?" So I said "There's a city ordinance you can't have bla-bla-bla (trying to cut this shorter)!" Then she said she didn't know about that because she's not in Modesto!!!!!! Where is she? Taiwan? So I said "I KNOW there is an ordinance!" She backed off and said she would have an officer contact me when there is one available. Gave her my home# and my cell#. I have a feeling it won't be anytime soon.

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 06:03 PM
I am home all this month and have been working in the backyard part of every day. For the last 2 weeks, there have been only 2 dogs out there. I've worked close to the fence in the flower beds and they haven't been aggressive. Once, my dog started barking and they began joining in so I squirted all of them with my hose. :eek: Surprised all of them, Den-Den included, and no more problems since. These other 3 dogs - don't know when or where they came from.

chico2
July 15th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Glasslass,I am stunned at the response you got...but I hope you hear from them,it could have been a disaster,bad enough for Den-Den,but going in between you could also have been hurt.
Maybe the woman you were talking to,was just ignorant and did not know.
Either way,by-law or not,those dogs should not have entered your property and attack Den-Den.I am sure you have a bylaw against loose dogs,or aggressive ones.Even if they are not normally aggressive,something must have triggered the attack.....then again,what do I know I have kitty-cats :)
Please let us know how Den-Den is doing,I suspect an infection is the greatest danger..hopefully he has no broken bones.

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 07:35 PM
The officer called me and was really, really nice. Told me they have "a number of" complaints already at that address, last one just 2 days ago, of the dogs running loose. He was very sympathetic and said it would be all resolved in the next few days. Gave me his name and # to call if I should ever see more than 2 in the yard or any running loose. I expressed my concern about vaccinations and he said not to worry if my dog is current. Main concern will be to prevent infection.

Called the vet a few minutes ago and DEN-DEN CAN COME HOME! :D They want me to come right at 5p so that other animals will have already gone home. So, I'm going to take off and get there! Will report later. Don't know what I would have been like if you guys hadn't been there for me. Thank you all so much! Love you all! :rolleyes:

Iggette
July 15th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Oh Glasslass Big hugs for you and Den Den (((((((((HUGS))))))),

Is he going to be ok? Hope there is no infection, but I doubt it, Den Den has a good mommy and your quick actions have hopefully prevented any infections, good thing you were home at the time, the poor little boy must have been terrified and you also this is every dog owners nightmare.

Hope you get results from the neighbours and your concerns with the amounts of dogs there. Good luck with that

Hugs from Buddy, Ursa and all our varmits here to Den Den for a speedy recovery

Catt31
July 15th, 2004, 09:09 PM
OMG glassy!!! I'm sooooo sorry about Den Den!! My God, sounds like some odd stuff going on at your neighbours......I hope they do something about it!!! Brick and I have our paws and fingers crossed for your little baby!!!! (((hugs)))

Luba
July 15th, 2004, 09:17 PM
I'm so glad Den Den is coming home :D YIPPIE!

Keep us posted on how he is doing and big group people and fur hugs to him and you!

Spoiled
July 15th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Poor thing! How is he doing? Is he going to be OK? Will he have any scars? How did these dogs get in? Poor DenDen!

glasslass
July 15th, 2004, 11:46 PM
Den-Den is home and alert, but content to just being held and sleeping. We took a couple photos to show you. It looks pretty awful. I will need to mix hydrogen peroxide and water, half & Half, and kind of blot around the tube 3 or 4 times a day. Vet said not to have it drippy but to just get the area wet with it. I have 10 days supply of Clavamox (1 tablet 125mg twice daily) and 6 days Deramaxx (1 tablet 25mg once a day). I'll take him back in Monday afternoon. I think that's when they'll remove the tube if all going ok. It's so good to be able to just hold him.

Luba
July 16th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Oh my Lord! How is DenDen doing with pain that looks very very owie!

AHhhhhh what a shame the poor baby will probably be traumatized now to even go in the backyard.

Geeze this was so preventable, I'd be so flipping angry.

If you haven't filed a police report DO IT! This way you can get all the owners information and consult a lawyer.

I fell so awful for him and you! What a horror story, I wish there were something I could do to make the ouchies go away Den Den!

wAggie
July 16th, 2004, 12:18 AM
OMG... those pix tell a thousand words!

:( :( :( I'm so so SO sorry this had happened to Den-Den! I wish all the best for a speedy recovery.

*HUGE HUGS from cHo & myself*

cHo = Chocolate & Honey :D

Cactus Flower
July 16th, 2004, 01:31 AM
So glad he is home, but :( :( :( :( :( :( POOR BABY !

chico2
July 16th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Poor,poor baby,but at least he's home with his family,lot's of loving care and cuddles can work wonders.
I am hoping it looks worse than it is :(

stbeachy
July 16th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Best of Luck.....looks bad....but thank goodness the vet is positive and so are you with your little baby! Good thing you got a hold of the police officer ESPECIALLY now that you know there are other incidents.

hugs and cuddles to den den...lots of patience and sympathy to you to glasslass

Iggette
July 16th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Awwww the poor little sweetheart :( it looks so sore, poor baby :(

I agree with Luba I would file a police report and get the ball rolling on preventing this from happening again to anyone and especially little Den Den, glad he has a loving Mommy to recover with :)
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Lucky Rescue
July 16th, 2004, 10:13 AM
OH, poor little baby!!!!:( Probably won't make you feel any better, but those kind of wounds are not usually anywhere near as painful as they look.

Clavamox may cause nausea and poor appetite, so look for that!

Hope your Den-Den heals without complication and feels better soon!!:(

glasslass
July 16th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks everybody for your encouragement. I think you're right about things looking worse than they actually are. Den-Den has been a real trooper! Last night, we took him out on the grass. He just stood there looking at us, so we just waited. He made a few glances around the yard. I was right by him and my husband stood between us and the fence. He took about 5 tentative steps and then lifted his back leg and slightly squatted to take a looong pee. We carried him back into the house and gave him his meds and I cleaned the area with the hydrogen peroxide mixture. He ate a light supper of lamb & rice (canned) with good appetite. Wouldn't eat from the dish, but ate well when I fed it to him piece by piece with my fingers. I figure it was uncomfortable for him to bend his neck to the dish. Slept well last night on our bed between my knees where he likes to sleep. Never changed position.

This morning, before we were fully awake, he suddenly jumped off the bed and ran to the doggie door barking. Didn't seem like it bothered him at all. I took him outside again and he looked around and peeed, and was ready to go back in. We've blocked the doggie door entrance with our hamper. If we just lock it, I'm afraid he'll run right smack into it and break his neck! He is used to going through it at a run! :D He seems so much better. Cleaned his wounds again. Gave him his Clavamox with more food and now he's content to stretch out next to my husband.
I think he'll be ok. Thank God! Love him so much!

Catt31
July 16th, 2004, 11:44 AM
I am soooo glad to hear that he is doing ok!!! How traumatic for the little guy!!! And its sad that he is fearful of his own yard! Darn neighbours!! Anyways, Brick and I are both very happy that he is on his way to recovery!!! GO DEN-DEN GO!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

glasslass
July 16th, 2004, 01:39 PM
He went out again and this time I stood on the grass and just watched as he walked the entire perimeter as if trying to figure out how they had gotten in. He did both jobs and then came back in. No sign of the dogs next door! Yeaaa!

The flesh around the drainage tube seems normal - no unusual redness. He's not real sensitive when I swab it. Of course, I'm doing my best to have a gentle touch.

My husband is off today and he seems to like having both of us here with him. He spent some time lying on a throw by my computer desk for awhile, then he went in to sleep in my husbands lap in the recliner. Hubby has an excuse to sit there all day! :p

Luba
July 16th, 2004, 01:51 PM
What a trooper your Den Den is!

I bet you he thinks he saved you from an attack, and maybe you just never know he could have in his own little way :D

I'm glad he's up and around! Tell him Auntie Luba wubs him :D

glasslass
July 16th, 2004, 02:51 PM
I'll wubbie wubbie his little tummy and tell him it's from Auntie Luba! :D

Luba
July 16th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Sanky yu :D It's a cute little tummy too ;)

glasslass
July 17th, 2004, 09:20 PM
He brought me his Tug-Tug this morning and wanted to play! Not going to do this so soon after! Sorry Den-Den! :(

He still has a good appetite and is pretty much behaving normally. Maybe sleeping a bit more. Yeaaaa! I'm one relieved mama! :)

Not happy with the closed doggie door however, but accepting it grudgingly. :rolleyes:

chico2
July 18th, 2004, 07:08 AM
That's good news this cloudy Sunday morning,our Den-Den is on the mend :D
When do the tubes come out? Call me ignorant,but what was those tubes for? :confused:

moontamara
July 18th, 2004, 09:17 AM
I just read the whole story here. You must have been terrified... I'm impressed at how supportive you've been for me -- I didn't realize you were going through your own trauma too. Best of luck to you.. and thanks for the encouragement as well as the information on poodles and their eating.

I hope you and Den-den are doing well now. Hugs from Casey and me in Korea!

glasslass
July 18th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Oh, thank you Moonie & Chico! I'm so happy I found this board. It's a great place to run to for support and to support others.

Chico, the tube is to provide drainage. With this kind of injury, there is a small puncture wound outside and a large amount of injured tissue inside from the yanking and tearing. Fluids build up underneath. The tube allows for drainage so that the healing can take place inside before the outside heals over. I don't know the full technical explanation, but I tend to try to visualize it in my own mind as simple as I can for my own understanding. He is on antibiotics and pain pills. The swabbing with hydrogen peroxcide is to keep the wound clean and help prevent infection. He will get a few hairs from his ear sticking to it and I can wet the area so that I can gently pull the hairs away again. The pain pills must be really good. He never complains and doesn't seem overly sensitive. :)

glasslass
July 18th, 2004, 10:03 AM
When do Den-Den and I get to see a photo of little Casey? :confused:

Spoiled
July 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Oww poor little baby! I'm glad he's feeling better. Is he healing fine?

glasslass
July 18th, 2004, 12:03 PM
This morning, he's acting pretty normal. Trots around with his little tail held high. Good appetite. I keep mentioning that because of the antibiotics. That tail is a pretty accurate mood barometer I've found! :D

jindo4life
July 18th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Ouch...Those pics look painful! Poor den-den .. sorry to hear what happened to your baby! Good thing you took him to the vet and made him feel a WHOLE LOT BETTER.. GOOOD JOB taking care of him. You are a loving owner!
BTW you have a BEUTIFUL backyard!!!!!!!
Den-Den looks soooooooooo cuuuuuuuttttttttttteeeeeeeeeee