Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

old cat meets new dog

jewelee
July 15th, 2004, 10:27 AM
undefined

I've rescued two darling little pugs. Probably are mom/daughter. They are about 3 years old, or there about. The problem is, I have a 6 year old female cat, who is used to being queen. Any suggestions on how to introduce these 3 without causing problems??? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
July 15th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Congrats on adopting these little girls!:) Do you know if they chase cats? If so, you must teach them the "Leave it" command.

Do you have an extra room? If so, put the cat and her stuff in there. You'll probably have to anyway, since most dogs will get into the litterbox to snack.

Put a baby gate across the door, and the cat will come out when she's ready and feels it is safe for her. Make sure the dogs never go in this room, so the cat will feel it's her safe sanctuary. If the dogs dont' chase her, it should work out okay.

You also must make sure the cat will not attack your dogs. Most cats (but not all!) will try to avoid the dog unless they are cornered, and then they can do serious damage to a dog.

Make sure you continue to give enough attention to your cat.

Shmyst
July 15th, 2004, 04:10 PM
I also have a 6 year old Female cat. When I got my dog a year ago she was put out. She didn't want him near her. She showed me this by using my bed as her litter box. I ended up talking to the vet about it, as this behavior was not at all like her. My vet told me that cats veiw things more pshycologically. She said that as long as I made sure she got the same amout of attention as the puppy things would get better. I followed this advice as well as training him to leave her alone. Except for minor instance every thing is now fine. Once and awhile they seem to get on each others nerves, but it's not all together uncommon for humans to have the same difficulties.

sammiec
July 15th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Getting Briggs was a HUGE adjustment for my sketish and quite cat. When Briggs came home we put her in the living room to sniff around and Connor came walking over sniffed her, hit her and walked away. It took him a good week or so to get to accept the fact that she was part of the family. Everything has changed now!! He has completely come out of his shell, he's much more approachable and loving now; they are great together! Briggs will be lying on teh carpet in the living room minding her business, Connor will come running in like a bat out of heck and stop right in front of her, swat her and wait for her reaction... well, then they're running, and jumping and pawing... so hilarious! I think she (briggs) has a feel for her strength conpmared to Connor because she wil try and mouth at him, but she is SOOO gentle about it. It's the best thing you could ask for!! :D :p

TalonsMa
July 16th, 2004, 03:41 PM
That sounds so cute Sammie! :)