Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cautionary Tale for ALL dog owners

mollywog
August 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I just got this emailed to me and I would like to share it with all dog owners here.
It is the unfortunate story of a dog whose tongue got stuck in a Pimple Ball with Bell made by Four Paws Inc.
The dog survived but had to have his tongue amputated.
Here is a link to the story with pictures and videos, as well as an email address to petition against this product. Very sad story :sad:
http://www.thechaistory.blogspot.com/

Ford Girl
August 20th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Oh man, that is terrible!!!! :sad: That poor poor dog and owner, what an ordeal to go thru, and the dog looks so sad. :sad:

ancientgirl
August 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM
That poor sweet dog! I can't believe the company is just going to do nothing. At the very least they should have offered to not only pay for the vet costs but help the woman pay for the food he now needs to eat because of their product!:mad:

krdahmer
August 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Poor guy! That is just horrible. I hope that company smartens up and helps cover some of those bills.

14+kitties
August 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I will not be buying ANY products by Four Paws. Thanks for sharing. Poor Chai!!

aslan
August 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM
poor baby in so much pain.

Had to send an e-mail to the company. Unbelievable their stance on the subject.

Melinda
August 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM
we have two here, a green one and the red/pink one shown in the picture, I'm rooting them out of the toybox and throwing them out....thanks so much for the warning!!

Silverwind
August 20th, 2008, 11:36 PM
That is just heartbreaking. Poor dog! We had a blue one of those when Echo was a puppy, I'm so greatful that didn't happen to her :(

mollywog
August 21st, 2008, 08:35 AM
I am glad that you read this thread, Melinda and Silverwind. I can't even imagine going through such an ordeal as Chais owners did.
I too emailed the company and got this automated response:

Thank you for your recent note expressing concern over the Four Paws® Pimple Ball with Bell. We were equally alarmed to learn that a dog may have injured himself while playing with this toy.

Dogs have been enjoying the Pimple Ball with Bell for more than a decade with over 500,000 units sold. In all the years this product has been on the market, this is the first injury of this nature that we are aware of. Unfortunately, accidents sometimes happen. That’s why we recommend that dogs always be supervised when they are playing with any toy. Of course, we also take great care in developing safe products.

At this point we have identified the problem and are not shipping any more Pimple Balls until all units are re-worked. We have contacted customers that carry this product and have asked them to return their inventory to be re-worked.

Thank you for your concern and feedback. Please know that we are in direct communication with the pet owner whose dog was injured. At Four Paws, happy pets and satisfied pet owners are our number one priority. Rest assured we will continue to work hard to deliver on our priority.
Sincerely,
Allen Simon
President, CEO
Four Paws Products
Sent by Haley Birk on behalf of Allen Simon

hopefully they will do more than just pull the product off the shelf

ancientgirl
August 21st, 2008, 08:54 AM
We were equally alarmed to learn that a dog may have injured himself while playing with this toy.

May have? From what I read, there's no MAY about it. I really really hope they are helping with this dogs medical bills and with the new food he now has to eat for the rest of his life.

lotus
August 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
That poor dog:sad:
Typical response from a company, if they said "DOG WAS INJURED BY THEIR PRODUCT " that would make them responsible for the vet cost and other expenses. Not like it would hurt them any. They should step up to the plate and help this dog and the owner.:frustrated:

mollywog
August 21st, 2008, 09:10 AM
yes, I definitely wasn't satisfied with that reply myself. It felt very cold and impersonal. I would imagine a lawsuit is involved right now, from the way Chais owners documented everything- smart of them to do so.

mollywog
August 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
:thumbs up ^^^^^^ BUMP ^^^^^^ :thumbs up

aslan
August 22nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
mollywog, they sent me the same e-mail, word for word.

mollywog
August 22nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
yup, I kinda figured it was just an automated response
I hope their inbox is getting filled with nasty emails!!!