Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

chihuahua and winter...

maneater
August 20th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I have a question... I got a chihuahua as a pet from a very responsible breeder. My furbaby (daytona) is way smaller then her brothers and sisters. her parents were both average chihuahau size ( 6 pounds ) and the breeders do not breed the so called teacup or minature chihuahua's ( which i know don't really exist as breed but every one keeps trying to tell me i got a "teacup" chihuahua but i correct them) the problem i am having is that my puppy is only 2 pounds. She was born may 29th 2008. She is much smaller then her litter mates. I live in northern ontario and it is already starting to get really cold out. I have her litter trained but she only uses her box when she is in her crate.... I take her outside to use the bathroom the rest of the day. I for the life of me can not find a sweater or jacket or anythign small enough for her to keep her warm. She is a short haired chi and gets cold very easily. If anyone knows of anyone who makes sweaters or anyone who sells sweaters that are small enough for her then i will gladly look int buying one. It is aug and right now it is 8 degrees celcius out right now. I have never owned a small dog before i have only had labs. This is all new to me. I live in a small town and am limited to only 2 petstores... around the chest her measurements are 8 inches and from the neck to the base of the tail is 9 inches..

luckypenny
August 20th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Do you have a community center or church nearby? These places often have bazaars and knitted stuff can always be found there. Perhaps if you call and ask if there are some members of your community that knit or sew? You can even put up an ad on their bulletin boards to see if anyone can make something for your little girl.

Care to share any pics of Daytona :goodvibes: ?

maneater
August 20th, 2008, 01:25 AM
good ideas but they don't usually hold the craft shows till closer to christas and i am scared that the poor thing is going to freeze to death.. i did attempt to make her a sweater following patterns online but lets just say that me and sewing machines were never ment to meet.. http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg269/maneater2008/furbaby.jpg this is my big vicious dog... she is not really we were just playing !!!

luckypenny
August 20th, 2008, 01:35 AM
She looks vicious :eek:!

:D Just kidding, she's adorable :lovestruck:.

I should have clarified..I meant that you could contact these places to see if you can find someone who knits or sews. If you live in a smaller community, someone usual knows someone...

Can you find preemie baby clothes? Some department stores sell them here. You could just cut out the bottom of a warm sleeper.

maneater
August 20th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Wow your so smart!!! My son was a premature baby... I have a ton of sleepers... I thnk tomorrow i will go out and dig them out of the attic!! Thanks for all the help!

growler~GateKeeper
August 20th, 2008, 01:54 AM
awwwwww Daytona is adorable :lovestruck: :cloud9: :lovestruck:

If you have an old winter jacket that's too wornout to give away you could use part of the sleeve as long as there is enough room for her to comfortably move around in it.

maneater
August 20th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas!! I think my goal for tomorrow is to manipulate my sons old sleepers and make her a jacket thing!!! I will post pictures if successfull!!!
:thumbs up

t.pettet
August 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
A dear friend knits sweaters for dogs of all sizes. Her tiny size (2-4lbs) are ten dollars and they come with a turtle neck. She would need the circumfrence of the neck, length from collar to tail and circumfrence of chest and waist, also preference of colour. Let me know if you'd be interested and you could pm me your #.

aslan
August 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM
In the meanwhile you could always alter one of your sweat socks abit, cut the toe of and make little leg holes for her. not the prettiest but workable.

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 02:43 PM
I have a Dogie parka for my Girly. It came from Wal-mart and they come in sizes xxsmall -xLarge.. I think an xx small or even an x small would probably fit your little one.