Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat was taken off oxygen

chloe47
August 20th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Hello. I have many cats and sadly one died recently after a rapid illness that developed with what started out as bad congestion and then anorexia. The doctors suspected FIP but never knew for sure. While in the animal hospital she got two blood transfusions for anemia and was on oxygen and potassium fluids. She actually arrested once and was revived but her pupils seemed to be unresponsive yet the doctor said she tried to "sternalize" herself which I guess means get up. This all happened on her second day in the animal hospital. Later on the vet took her off the oxygen saying she could breathe on her own and she died soon after. I realize she was very sick but feel this "extubation" should have been postponed a while longer. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

growler~GateKeeper
August 20th, 2008, 03:47 AM
When people are in the hospital & have breathing difficulties an easily removable breathing tube is placed in the nose, this is used on patients who are both concious and unconcious. As of yet there is no such easily removable breathing tube for animals, the tube used is long & placed far down their throat.

If your cat was concious they would have had to extubate or the cat would've choked & vomited with the tube in place & passed away.

Sternalis is a muscle on the breast bone, meaning your cat was attempting to roll from her side to lying on her stomach, it is a sign to extubate because the animal is waking from anaesthesia/unconciousness.

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat :sad: :grouphug:
:rip: sweet :angel2: :candle:

Love4himies
August 20th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I am sorry to hear about your kitty. :grouphug:

chloe47
August 20th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hello, this question is to growler. Can you explain to me how is extubation done in a cat that is alive but showing few reflexes?

growler~GateKeeper
August 20th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "few reflexes".

The cat is extubated at the first sign of movement or swallowing, they are not completely wide awake, so their reflexes may not react to all stimulation. Usually an anesthetized animal will attempt to roll over as soon as possible because it puts them in a better position to react to what is around them.

Extubation (http://old.cvm.msu.edu/services/aneth/docs/cat-intu/)

Cats awaken quickly from inhalation anesthesia. As the cat is recovering, untie the gauze holding the endotracheal tube and deflate the cuff. Monitor breathing until movement or swallowing attempts are noticed. Then remove the tube from the trachea. The cat may cough a few times immediately after removal of the tube but should begin to breathe with a normal pattern within seconds.

Extubation (http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:0-9DBP5HrWcJ:www.ulam.umich.edu/sops/ULAM%2520SOP%2520Feline%2520Anesthesia.doc+how+to+ extubate+a+cat&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=11&gl=ca)

Cats should not be left unattended with an endotracheal tube in place. The endotracheal tube may be removed when active swallowing efforts are noted. After extubation, the cat should be monitored closely, at least every 15 minutes until able to sit in an upright or sternal position.

If you have questions about how your vet & his/her team handled your cats case during & after surgery, please make an appointment to speak with him/her, it is your right to know what happened. Only they can answer questions about what happened in the surgery room. :grouphug: :grouphug:

chloe47
August 21st, 2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the good explanation-it was really helpful.