Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my puppy stopped eating

RUTHCARL
July 14th, 2004, 09:53 PM
My 6-months-old Chihuahua puppy is healthy, happy and frisky but she has stopped eating and has not defecated for 2 days. I took her to the vet...she said to give her canned Nutra puppy food and no "people" food...but the only thing that tempts her are her freeze-dried liver treats. I don't know what to do.

Luba
July 14th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Did the vet make any suggestions as to what may be causing your pup not to eat?

Puppies can get very ill if they do not eat. If pup isn't eating the canned food discuss with your vet about trying baby food or mashed potato and boiled chicken.

RUTHCARL
July 14th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Did the vet make any suggestions as to what may be causing your pup not to eat?

Puppies can get very ill if they do not eat. If pup isn't eating the canned food discuss with your vet about trying baby food or mashed potato and boiled chicken.
No, she didn't. She gave her NUTRI-CAL and between that and the liver treats I got her to eat a little of the canned food, but only a quarter of a cup.

Lucky Rescue
July 14th, 2004, 10:51 PM
A quarter of a cup is quite a lot for a tiny Chi puppy. The problem with such small puppies is that they must eat frequently or can suffer hypoglicemia.

Stop the treats, and any people food you are giving. Give her dog food only. If she won't eat, take a stick like a popsicle stick, put a little food on the end and smear it on the roof of her mouth. She will have to swallow it.

Try warming up the food a little bit first too.

I know that my sister in law's Chi is a very picky and fussy eater, so you must resist the temptation to feed treats.

Let us know how it goes!

moontamara
July 15th, 2004, 12:15 AM
My little poodle puppy ate well for a couple days after I got home and then just stopped eating all together suddenly. I had been giving him dry food soaked in warm water. In a desperate attempt to feed him after a day and a half, I tried hand feeding him the same food dry. He ate it. He won't it it soaked in water any more. I think he just hated the texture, and I can't say I blame him... He seemed too little to be eating dry food, but he digested it all just fine. Anyway, good luck -- he'll be okay.