Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

removing my cat's stitches myself?

Monkas
August 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM
As you probably already know my cat got fixed. Yestarday I was supposed to bring her to the vet to get her stitches removed and when she saw the carrier she got crazy. She started jumping, hiding, creaming and i had not have even the chance to try and put her in the carrier. I tried to hide the carrier and i picked her up and brought her to the carrier next room and clising her eyes. When i put her in she started hitting her head and making weired noices it was insane. I let her out because i felt so sorry and afraid. Does anyone know what is the alternative to remove the stiches without going to the vet??

I will apreciate if someone give me an advice.

Thank you.

NoahGrey
August 19th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I personally would go to a vet. I understand your cat does not want to go into the carrier. She is going to meow and meow and freak out...but she is not going to die. By you taking the sutures out, you could cause infection, etc.

You need to go to a vet simply put.

ACO22

Love4himies
August 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I would never take out the stitches myself and would not recommend anybody but a trained health professional do so.

Monkas
August 19th, 2008, 08:55 AM
thank you so much for your replies. I will try to bring her to the vet. I was thinking if I should ask the technician to come to my house? is it possible?

sugarcatmom
August 19th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Here's a trick that should help get her into the carrier: put her in a pillow case and then drop the pillow case into the open carrier (you can put the carrier on it's end). Hopefully she'll just stay in the pillow case and be calmed by the confinement. If not, cover the carrier with a towel. Some Rescue Remedy might also be useful. I've found that it doesn't exactly eliminate the stress response, but it does help to calm the cat down faster after the event is over.

Good luck!

14+kitties
August 19th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Good suggestion SCM! Or you could also try backing her in. That may work. I like the carrier on end and putting her in gently back end first method.

She is upset because she remembers what happened last time and is afraid it will happen again. Cats don't like changes in their routine. And that is a change for sure! I bet once she has the stitches removed and it's time to go back home you will have no problem getting her in the carrier!!

Good Luck!

kathryn
August 19th, 2008, 07:28 PM
You can just leave them in and let your cat yank them out herself. I've removed stitches myself before, but I've had the help my mom and I know what I'm doing. If you had a small pair of those non pointy scissors like they would use at the vet, I'd say if you can do it then do it. Otherwise if you can't get the cat to go back to the vet don't stress on it. Nothing bad will happen.

Vets really should use dissolvable sutures. They work much better.

How long ago was your cat spayed?

Masha
August 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM
You can just leave them in and let your cat yank them out herself.

Please do NOT let your cat yank them out herself. I would never try to do it myself, if you dont know what and how to do it properly you may end up causing pain or/and an infection. There are mobile vets that do housecalls and you can inquire with your clinic as they may be able to send a technician for a fee.

kathryn
August 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Please do NOT let your cat yank them out herself. I would never try to do it myself, if you dont know what and how to do it properly you may end up causing pain or/and an infection. There are mobile vets that do housecalls and you can inquire with your clinic as they may be able to send a technician for a fee.

If it's atleast past a week since the initial incision, it is okay for the cat to yank out it's own stitches for simple operations (not for where stitches were required for injury).

I have had a discussion with my long time vet about this, and I am a vet assistant at a shelter (in training) and learn about this stuff all the time, and from everything I've been told by various vet techs and veterinarians, it is okay for a female cat to yank out her stitches herself as long as the wound has healed properly.

Try to get to the cat to the vet regardless, but for when Socks was spayed I remember she chewed her stitches out about 8 days after the surgery and we called the vets to tell them, and the Dr. got on the phone and said yeah yeah it's fine if her belly is already healed up that kitties will do that sometimes.

allymack
August 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I really reccomend going to the vet, or having the vet come to you. It might stress her a bit but it is better than risking an infection..

t.pettet
August 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Even though she dislikes the carrier so intensely it would be wise to let the vet remove her stitches and at the same time he can examine the wound to ascertain nothing is wrong and she is healing properly.

Soter
August 20th, 2008, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=kathryn;643076]You can just leave them in and let your cat yank them out herself. I've removed stitches myself before, but I've had the help my mom and I know what I'm doing. If you had a small pair of those non pointy scissors like they would use at the vet, I'd say if you can do it then do it. Otherwise if you can't get the cat to go back to the vet don't stress on it. Nothing bad will happen.
QUOTE]

i wouldn't reccomend it

soter

Jim Hall
August 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
a trivk i use is that my carrier is always out and open with a pillow in it so they get used to being in it and hanging out

dejzebmoorbn
November 10th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Three and a half years later...

Everyone's caution is appreciated and infections are certainly a risk. However, if the wound tissue has granulated (healed) infection is unlikely. The suture channels are likely complete and enclosed. If you want to be super careful this is the process.

Lift the suture with a gloved hand and snip the base of one side. Then pull the cord out the other side. Be careful not to cut the skin, but cut as close to the skin as you can. Your vet will need to tell you if they want any solution applied before, but typically none is needed and a cat will lick whatever you put there.

Vets like to check the sutures to make sure they did heal correctly, so this can't happen if they don't see the animal. Something to consider.

erykah1310
November 10th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I have removed many stitches over the years and when stitches are ready to come out they are ready for a reason, most of the healing is done. Infection is a risk yes.
I'm just lucky i have a great vet who knows I like doing things like suture removals. :) We are usually at the vets when I'm doing this as it is time for the recheck anyway.
I have done a few crop stitch removals for people who couldn't stand to do it and the vet that did the crop was over 8 hours away, makes me question why they bothered doing the crop in the first place if stitches were such a big deal.
I have never had to have stitches on any of my cats removed, they were always the dissolvable ones used.