Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice for Aunt: Cat poops on rugs

kathryn
August 18th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Dunno what to tell her. She's got 2 female cats that are over 6+ years each. They have lived together for the past 3 years. The one cat Remmie is my old cat that I had to give up because she attacked me and my other pets.

Remmie is very mean towards Mittens. They used to share one litter box, but my aunt set up another one that is in a separate area. Mittens keeps pooping on the rug infront of the kitchen sink. She pees in the litterbox but does not poop in it.

I mentioned cat attract or whatever it is you are supposed to put in the litter to make them want to use it.

She also said when she poops she poops ALOT and it's like she holds it for days and then just lets loose on the rug.

Thanks

Frenchy
August 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM
One of my previous cats used to do that because he was constipated. He had to be put on High Fiber from Medi-Cal.

luckypenny
August 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
How often does she clean the litter boxes, Kathryn? Maybe if she changed the brand of litter? What do you think would happen if she just threw out the rug :shrug:?

sugarcatmom
August 18th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Hmmm, it's quite possible that Mittens' pooping outside the box is related to her stressed relationship with Remmie. Where abouts are the litter boxes located? Are they covered or open? She may not feel safe if she can't see who's coming or be able to make an easy escape. I'd suggest adding yet another litter box, in as open an area as possible. Also perhaps a Feliway diffuser or 2 would help ease the tension between the cats. Is there a way to keep them separated for a few days, Mittens in her own room with her own litter box? That would likely get her back to using the box, then the box could slowly be moved to where your aunt wants it.

As you mentioned, there's Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter or litter additive: http://www.preciouscat.com/. I've seen it at PetSmart.

It could also be a constipation thing. What do the cats eat? Do you know if Mittens' poops look normal or if they're very hard and dry?

Some links on inappropriate elimination:
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/inappro-elim.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/inappro-elim2.html

Jim Hall
August 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM
put the box there where she poops for a bit ?

kathryn
August 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM
The house is kinda small. The litter boxes are downstairs. one is in the laundry room area and one is in the storage room. The thing is, either way Mittens has to go down the stairs and they've caught Remmie popping out and scaring the living hell out of Mittens.

It'd be a bit unsanitary to put a litterbox in the middle of the kitchen.

They might be able to squeeze a small litterbox into the single bathroom, as it is upstairs. She cleans the litter boxes 2 times daily. She has dumped the litter and cleaned them out and put new litter in. She's been using the same kind of litter since forever.

They are both closed litterboxes.

Will the Feliway make Remmie stop being evil? I mean, she is in all honesty a nasty nasty cat. She CAN be sweet, but generally she bites and growls.

Mittens and Remmie are both declawed. But it happened to both of them when they were very very young, as in a very long time ago. So Mittens is unlikely to be having any problems with that by now right?

I will take everything you guys say and forward it to my aunt in an email.

14+kitties
August 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Along with the other things that were mentioned.... it is possible that Mittens is smelling where she went before so continues to use that spot. Does your aunt clean the carpet very well with a really good cleaner with no ammonia?

If the litter boxes are closed I would think open them. Sneak attacks from a nasty cat are no fun. If possible you mentioned they could maybe put a small one in the bathroom upstairs. Sounds like a good plan.

sugarcatmom
August 19th, 2008, 07:19 AM
The thing is, either way Mittens has to go down the stairs and they've caught Remmie popping out and scaring the living hell out of Mittens.

Bingo. I'll bet anything this the source of the problem. So ya, if your aunt can possibly put an uncovered box upstairs, that would be the best scenario for now. May not guarantee no more errant pooping because Remmie might just stake out that area as well, but it would at least give Mittens a chance.

Will the Feliway make Remmie stop being evil?

Kinda depends on why Remmie is evil in the first place. If it's stress or territorial aggression, it might help. At least it wouldn't hurt, and even if it didn't turn Remmie around, it might at least help Mittens to feel calmer about the whole thing.

Mittens and Remmie are both declawed. But it happened to both of them when they were very very young, as in a very long time ago. So Mittens is unlikely to be having any problems with that by now right?

Well actually, declawing is very likely to result in arthritis later on a cat's life, which then frequently manifests as inappropriate elimination. That may not be the issue right now, but it is something to keep in mind. Also, interestingly enough, declawing can make some cats more aggressive, kind of like fear-biting in dogs. Because they don't have all their natural defenses available, they use intimidation as insurance against getting attacked first. So that could partly explain what's up with Remmie :sad:.

I will take everything you guys say and forward it to my aunt in an email.

Good luck to her. Make sure she lets us know how it turns out.

kathryn
August 19th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I appreciate everyones help. Remmie has always been a nasty cat. My uncle(:rip:) got her first, then he had another kid and Remmie kept trying to kill the baby, so then I took her. Then she tried to murder Maxwell and just was really mean towards most people and all other animals. Now my aunt has her and same story.. sometimes nice to people always mean towards other animals.

She's been completely washing out the rug everytime but Mittens still finds the same spot to poop on.

I think the first thing to try would be the Feliway thing at the bottom of the stairs, and try to fit a small litter pan in the upstairs bathroom. The house is small but maybe if they move their little plastic drawer thing out of the bathroom for a few days and put a potty there it will help Mittens out.