Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Aging Process / Supplements

Winston
August 18th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Just looking for some opinion or advice on dogs that age and giving them things like glucosamine etc?

Winston is starting to show his age by slowing down...he gets tired a little more easily and after a longer walk or excercise he is having some difficulty getting up. He does not fall down or anything just gets up slowly.

He is eating the Orijen Fish Formula and I add herring oil and sometimes switch with the 100 % pure coconut oil!

I am wondering is I should start something like glucosamine?

Any thoughts / comments ?

~michelle~
August 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Glucosamine is a good idea to start it helps to prevent joint deterioration. also swimming is a great exercise to increase strength without too much stress on the joints. I would use a glucosamine blend how much does he weigh

Winston
August 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM
He will be 9 in Nov and he weighs 110 pounds

rainbow
August 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I would put him on a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement. It's best to buy a reputable brand as the cheaper ones are not the same quality from what I've read.

hazelrunpack
August 18th, 2008, 08:54 PM
We've had great luck with glucosamine/chondroitin supplements. :thumbs up And I agree with rainbow--the best ones are usually the pricier ones, but well worth what you get in exchange. We use Cosequin, which is manufactured to human standards, so we're guaranteed a uniform dose of the active ingredients in each capsule.

Moderate exercise is good--and ~michelle~ is right about the swimming being excellent exercise that doesn't overtax the joints.

Also, is Winston on the heavy side of normal? Excess weight, even a little bit, can really add a lot of stress to joints, so cutting him down a few pounds might help. We always maintain our dysplastic dogs at the light side of normal. It does seem to help.

Massage can help, too. I'm not trained in it, but the dogs seem to like what I do. :D I think LuckyPenny has had some T Touch training--you might want to PM her.

And you might want to talk to your vet about an NSAID for controlling inflammation and discomfort in case Winston overdoes it. You can use them on an as needed basis for a few days with minimal side effects--for long-term everyday use, however, blood tests to check organ function are a good idea.

Winston
August 18th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Can the vet tell from say a blood test whether this supplement is needed or not?

Yes Hazel Winston is a lab shep x but looks mostly like a lab. He is on the heavier side. I wouldnt say obese cause he is a big boy to begin with. We have been reducing his food intake for about 3 weeks now and he hasnt really noticed all that much! he eats at all times of the day though! I would like to be able to see his waste a bit more as well....we have been lacking on the adequate excercise lately but are back at it!

What are good brands for this supplement? Is it a pill format or can you buy liquid? Hazel I also give him herring oil do you think that will be an issue?

Cindy

luckypenny
August 18th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Ava and I both use Natural Factors Joint Formula (MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin). It's available in most health food stores but be careful if you buy it online. I've seen it for 60$ + :eek:. It's usually around 35-40$ but I've found it on sale for as little as 25$.

In just a few months, we noticed quite a difference in Ava's mobility (especially going up and down the stairs) and she's no longer grumpy if someone accidentally nudges her hips. As for myself, physio therapy, anti-inflamatories, and pain killers combined didn't do for me what these supplements have. They really do work.

MIA
August 18th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I have a 17 year old MinPin and a 24 year old horse who both are a little arthritic and I bought PetWonder and saw a difference right away. What I did was give them both a loading dose then just a maintenance amount so it's been wonderful. My old MinPin can easily go for 2-3 hour romps on the beach and I am still riding my horse!!! I even tried it when my shoulder was bothering me and it did actually work so I am happy and I find it to be very reasonably priced.

www.petwonder.com

hazelrunpack
August 19th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Can the vet tell from say a blood test whether this supplement is needed or not?

No...they aren't ever really sure how it works, but it does seem to increase mobility and promote healing in the joints.

Yes Hazel Winston is a lab shep x but looks mostly like a lab. He is on the heavier side. I wouldnt say obese cause he is a big boy to begin with. We have been reducing his food intake for about 3 weeks now and he hasnt really noticed all that much! he eats at all times of the day though! I would like to be able to see his waste a bit more as well....we have been lacking on the adequate excercise lately but are back at it!

What we do when a dog needs to lose weight is cut back the amount we put out by a quarter cup a day. If that makes no dent after a couple of weeks, cut it another quarter cup. Once you get him down to where you'd like him to be, you'll have to play with the amount to maintain the weight where it is.

What are good brands for this supplement? Is it a pill format or can you buy liquid? Hazel I also give him herring oil do you think that will be an issue?

Cindy

Not sure what brands are available for you. Cosequin comes in either chewables or capsules. We use the capsules--just open them up and sprinkle them on the food. The food can be moistened with something (usually yogurt or pumpkin here) but you can sprinkle it over dry food, too. They seem to like the taste of it, so they clean it up if it sticks to the bowl.

We give our dogs a teaspoon of lipiderm every other night--it has omega-3s and -6s, and vitamins E and A in it. It doesn't seem to interfere with the action of the Cosequin at all.

lm9012
August 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Vets seem to be torn about the benefits..I think it goes for humans too..some find it makes a difference..others don't.

if you haven't run a full blood panel on Winston recently, I highly recommend it. It was through a routine 'senior wellness' test that we found issues with my dog's kidneys..he had no clinical signs of any kind of problems..just slowing down a bit..since I adopted him later in life, my frame of reference is short anyway. :sad:
that panel basically saved his life. He probably wouldn't be here today.

animals can be so stoic and show no signs of illness, so blood work is imperative, especially as seniors..

In any case, I'm grateful the vet recommended it. We also did xrays and saw the onset of arthritis, and she moved his legs around and said she felt stiffness developing..

I give Albert human grade glucosamine. Doggy brands are usually mixed. with the kidney disease I need to monitor everything that goes into his system..so while for a healthy dog a 'senior multi' may be just fine...Vitamins D and A are bad for Albert. So I have to make sure of exactly what it is i'm giving him.

I recommend the full blood panel just to rule out any issues. There is such a thing as too much of a supplement or vitamin, or if any organs are compromised..you may end up doing more damage than good by adding a supplement.

once you confirm that everything is just fine..just winston beginning to age gracefully...you can start him up on glucosamine. THere's lots of treats that come with the supplement already in it...or you can sprinkle the contents of the capsules in his food..albert doesn't mind it at all..he gets like 5 pills' contents mixed in each morning!

Just make sure you give the right amount for his size..and if you are including treats to include that in your count for the day. I found these great organic treats made from grain free lamb and sea cucumber that has enough for a 50 lb dog..so i split the stick in half for him and cut back on the capsules.
I also tried shark cartilage once..and he was quite spunky with it!

when we first ran the senior wellness test..he was starting to have a hard time jumping on the couch, bed, etc. Now, he jumps from couch to couch, tackles my boyfriend...just a happy old dog!

good job on the fish oil..lots of good properties for the inside and outside of our babies.. good antioxidants, I would highly recommend CoQ10 as well. They have made a world of difference in Albert, and he has kidney disease..imagine how great it could be on a dog whose only 'issue' is aging?
worth a shot!! :D

Winston
August 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Does anyone know if there is any benefit ofrom liquid vs pill format?