Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog's nose is running very badly!!!

daisyfresh23
August 18th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Hello, My dog is 1 1/2 years old. He is a German Sheppard Lab X. For about the last 4 months his nose has been running from his right nostral. As time lasped the amount of mucus got bigger. Then his left nostral started a green discharge with blood in it.
He has seen the vet and they did a nose biopsy because they thought it was Lupus. The results came back saying it was not Lupus or any other major diesese. They put him on antibiotics and an antiinflamatory (that also had something to help allergies) for 2 weeks. This got rid of the infection but his nose continued to run clear mucus.
His nose is running so quick right now that after he has slept for a small amount of time he has a large pool of mucus beside him as well as in his fur.
Only 10 days after he was finished the pills his infection came back. He has been on the antibiotic and the antiimflamatorys for 6 days now and they dont seem to be working this time.
At about the same time his nails started getting very brital and breaking off. You didnt need to step on one or for him to do antyhign to himself, they would just fall off. There would be no bleeding. The quick would not be disturbed. If you looked at the nail that fell off it would be hollow. When i look at the his nails now they are growing in very brittle as well as looking very hollow from the bottom. I dont know if the two are connected but they seem to have started about the same time.
Do you know what this could be?? Also the vet said when they did the biopsy they looked put the nose to see if anything was stuck but they could not see anything. Help please!! he is in a lot of discomfort and I want him back to his playful self!!!
Also, this all started about a month after I gave birth to our first child. Our dog is very close to us and seems to get stressed out easily. I was wondering if all of this could happen from stress??? He doesnt seem to be taking well to the baby. He doesnt snap at him he just doesnt want to be near him.

kigndano
August 18th, 2008, 05:42 PM
i would guess kennel cough.

im no expert though.

also, i have no experience with dogs and babies, someone here will though!

:fingerscr for the dogs nose