Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy - crying at night

ashtoreth
August 18th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Alright, it's pretty much a case of "duh, hes a pup, you just got him.. of course he's going to cry" But as I live in an apartment (though the only other tenant is really awesome, and loves my dog and understand he will howl and cry....) I still dont want him to take an habit of crying all night when crated

Here's the info,

He's a 8 weeks old husky puppy that I got Friday morning, the day before we moved in the new apartment (well we both stayed in the apartment at night, so the puppy could at least know the yard and the general area)

I didn't succumb to the adorable attention sucking thing that he is, I want him to get used to be alone. So far it seems to be awesome on that one. I usually leaves him alone for 1 to 2 hours, then play with him for 20 minutes. Note that we do give him "long" walks in the morning, late afternoon (4:30) and around 8. He usually walks around 20 minutes in the morning. For now I don't make him run much though.

He loves his toys and teaching him to use the kong was easy as pie. He can spend easily 4 hours crated without crying when hes busy or sleeping. Now cries only when he needs to go for his business (house breaking that dog was.... so darn easy its unbelievable, he never pooped in the house, peed only two times because we didn't get to the door before him) He know his names (it helped that the woman who sold it to me called him by his name when I told her), Sits when told, walks super well on leash, comes when called, and is starting to walk beside me.

So far his only problem is something totally normal for a puppy, he hates being alone anywhere, and as every decent husky do, he howls for attention (but doesn't get any) the major problem is at night, during the day other than disturbing neighbors who already have barking dogs, who care ;) one more to the orchestra. But at night, I need to sleep, my boyfriend needs to sleep, and let's face it, the whole area needs to sleep too...

What I do now is ignore him, as soon as he stops, I give him a treat and his Kong, stuffed with nibbles, dried chicken liver (he loves that) and Kong filling. That usually lasts him long enough that he falls asleep. But when he wakes up for potty, so far the only way I found that he stops crying and howling is the filled Kong, but I really want to avoid using so much "treats" during the night.

I know (and really hope) that he'll grow out of it, but how long can it take, this I'm not too sure how long it can take and if theres anything else I can do to help him get used to it.

I'm relatively lucky now that he's starting to understand that "bed" means "go to your crate" but we're still working on that really.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

A.

luckypenny
August 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM
How long have you had him, ashtoreth? And how old is he now?

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Is the crate in your bedroom? Perhaps if you give him a little more exercise/play a little before bedtime, he'll sleep more soundly.

The crying at night with puppies has never lasted more than 2 weeks for us. Usually, as they mature, and if they're well exercised, they sleep right through the night.

ashtoreth
August 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM
hes 8 weeks, got him last Friday :)

The crate is in a room in front of hours, I want him to get used to us not being around.

He does get exercised a lot, it's hard to judge his sleeping time hehe, hes a puppy he sleeps half the time :laughing:

luckypenny
August 18th, 2008, 10:23 AM
8 weeks? Sorry to tell you, it's probably going to go on for at least a few more :laughing:. Got any vacation time coming up :D?

I find that having the puppies sleep in our room (actually, right next to my side of the bed so I can hang my hand over) comforts them greatly in the first few weeks after leaving momma and their siblings. They have great big fluffy blankets in there too to help them get cozy. Fortunately, so far, none of our foster puppies have become too reliant on having us around all the time because of this.

ashtoreth
August 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I'll check, we're still just settling in our new place our selves, but I might start cleaning the room from the boxes this week so he sleeps in the room, but he does have his blanket ^^

Chris21711
August 18th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I agree with LP, it is a huge adjustment for them and they need to be comforted. He is real darn cute :lovestruck:

jessi76
August 18th, 2008, 11:07 AM
The crate is in a room in front of hours, I want him to get used to us not being around.

do you realize how awful this sounds? (just the statement, not YOU!) a pup goes from mom, littermates, and family, to being alone, in a new home, new people, and is supposed to "get used to" his new family not being around?!

please, PLEASE, rethink that. a pup needs companionship, ESPECIALLY an 8wk old puppy in a new home.

his crate should be in YOUR room, right next to YOUR bed. once he's used to his new home, his crate, his routine, etc.. you can slowly move the crate to another room if need be. what if this pup needs to go out to potty during the night? how will you hear him when he tries to alert you w/ a soft whine or cry? you won't if he's in another room, which will lead to crate accidents, which will lead to bad habits and frustration for you.

ashtoreth
August 18th, 2008, 12:36 PM
do you realize how awful this sounds? (just the statement, not YOU!) a pup goes from mom, littermates, and family, to being alone, in a new home, new people, and is supposed to "get used to" his new family not being around?!

please, PLEASE, rethink that. a pup needs companionship, ESPECIALLY an 8wk old puppy in a new home.

his crate should be in YOUR room, right next to YOUR bed. once he's used to his new home, his crate, his routine, etc.. you can slowly move the crate to another room if need be. what if this pup needs to go out to potty during the night? how will you hear him when he tries to alert you w/ a soft whine or cry? you won't if he's in another room, which will lead to crate accidents, which will lead to bad habits and frustration for you.

Oh, the room is really in front of ours, the way the bed is set we basically sleep in front of the door.
But yea, we're definately going to move the crate in the room :)

ThorsMalMom
October 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
when we picked up our Malamute puppy early, at 6.5 weeks, he was a big sucky baby too. we put some of our worn clothes in the crate with him so our smells were around him at night. i also picked up a warming teddy bear that plays a low static sound to simulate being in the womb. it worked really well for our little guy! and we also had the crate in the room right next to our bed.