Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Supplements For Cats

want4rain
August 16th, 2008, 09:39 AM
we have decided to back off on organs since it really screws with the system of two of our cats. we will be feeding raw chicken bone on, canned/raw fish, oysters, eggs, shrimp, and other sea animals. two of our cats will get Misters meat of the day (turkey, beef, etc). what would you guys suggest as a supplement??

we have been trying for over a year to get the other two cats accustom to eating other meats than the ones listed above. not sure what the deal is but we're done... cleaning it up. really 3 of them have issues (what can i say, Frances has a gut of cast iron) but one of them, we are sorta able to get around the organ idea.

they also have a rather steady diet of bugs :yuck: through out the warmer months (which is a good portion of the year here).

-ashley

want4rain
August 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
oh and they also get a variety of veggies.... cause they are weird and it makes them happy.

-ash

sugarcatmom
August 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Vetriscience makes a good multi-purpose vitamin called NuCat (http://www.vetriscience.com/nucat.php) that most cats seem to like. It would certainly give you some extra insurance that there isn't a deficit on a particular nutrient.

I also have to caution you on too much fish-feeding (like more than once or twice a week). There's a good explanation here on why fish ain't so great for the kitties: http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/2007/09/22/eight-strikes-against-fishy-feeding-for-cats/

want4rain
August 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
yeah we feed fish no more than twice a week and it has a great deal of egg with the shells in it too. its usually half fish and half egg along with mussels/clams/shrimp, 1-2 times a week.

-ashley

badger
August 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
So how do you buy your food - I've seen bags of fish and shrimp at the grocery store - is that what you use? Reason I ask - it's beginning to dawn on me DUH that even some raw is a good thing.

sugarcatmom
August 16th, 2008, 06:45 PM
it's beginning to dawn on me DUH that even some raw is a good thing.

Some raw is a great thing! My only caution is that if it makes up more than 10-15% of your cat's diet, it really needs to be balanced with the appropriate amount of calcium (either meat with bone, or an added calcium-salt supplement). The ideal calcium to phosphorus ratio is about 1.2 to 1.4:1. Plain muscle meat is more like 1:15, and can result in nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism if fed unbalanced. Also, like I mentioned to want4rain, too much fish (raw or cooked) can be a bad thing. I would start with bits of raw chicken or turkey instead.