Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Switching Chase to Orijen!!!

Chaser
August 15th, 2008, 11:57 PM
So it turns out I'm just a wee bit too blonde sometimes. Chase had been eating Wellness Complete Health (which is a great food I think).....but I really wanted to put him on grain-free. I compared prices and the price per bag wasn't a huge difference....but he weighs 55 lbs. and eats 2 cups of Wellness per day and when I looked at the feeding chart on Orijen it said 3 & 3/4 cups per day! I thought, no way am I paying for Orijen only to feed him nearly twice as much food per day.

Hmmmm....so I noticed today that Wellness' chart is in pounds, and Orijen (being Canadian), is in kilograms!!!! If I had bought him Orijen earlier I would have been trying to feed him enough for a dog twice his size :o I can be such a dumb@$$ sometimes! :loser: :laughing:

Anyway, we have enough Wellness left to start making a gradual switch, and plan to start tomorrow. :fingerscr he'll like the Orijen and not have too much tummy trauma. He can be a bit sensitive, so I'll be going slow with it and getting some help from pumpkin and plain yogurt. Wish us luck! (I'm SO excited to get him on this....I can't believe I was misreading the bag for the past 6 months!!!)

14+kitties
August 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: We all have our blonde moments!!

rainbow
August 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
LOL...but in your defense the print on the bags is so small so I think it would be easy to misread. :D

Glad you decided to look closer as Orijen is a great food. I have both my boys on it. Logan is 60lb. and I have just cut him back to 1 3/4 cups a day as I'd like him to lose a couple of pounds and Chase (lab) is 90lb. and he gets 3 cups a day.

Good luck with Chase and the switch :goodvibes: ....are you switching Kailey too? :)

Chaser
August 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM
LOL...but in your defense the print on the bags is so small so I think it would be easy to misread. :D

Exactly! :laughing:

Glad you decided to look closer as Orijen is a great food.

I know, I've been wanting to feed it for ages....I just honestly thought it was going to cost twice as much!

are you switching Kailey too? :)

Not switching Kailey for now, as we JUST switched her from Wellness Adult to Wellness Just for Puppy. We have a big bag of that now, and I don't want to cause her further tummy trauma.

She is on puppy food now because she lost 2 pounds in the first two weeks she was with us....likely because she finally got out of a shelter cage, and she has ADD and NEVER stops playing!

I think the Wellness Puppy is best for her for the time being....it's got more protein and fat than the Adult, and for now I think the carbs will be helpful for her to pack on a couple pounds. The poor girl's ribs stick right out and it makes me sad :sad: She eats like a horse though and has been thoroughly fecal-examined and de-wormed....she's just a skinny girl and really is still a puppy - needs to grow into herself and start filling out!

rainbow
August 16th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah, my Chase was like that......he didn't start filling out until about 6 months ago and he just turned three a month ago. :shrug:

Oh, and it's time for more Kailey and Chase pics. :D

jealma
August 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I use orijen puppy and have had no complaints with it. I do find that Abby eats less than the bag calls for for her size, but these days my hubby seems to always be sharing his food with her. BP on toast in the mornings and bits left from his supper plate. And worse of all, his snacks at night. Just pick up a bag of chips and she's on the run. Frustrates me because I"m going to the effort to buy good healthy dog food and than him and her sit down with a bag of chips at night,:confused:, oh well,,,, good luck with the food change.

Etown_Chick
August 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Scruffy is doing wonderfully on Orijen. Glad you saw the KG - I read your post and thought OMG Scruff is right, I am starving him! lmao but no, he's fine..lol
I'll warn you though it smells like fish. Maybe that's why he likes it.