Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boo was pregnant !!!!!!!!!!!

FancyAppy
August 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM
:stork-baby:
The fat mare was not fat..she was pregnant. WAS pregnant..just hours ago my husband discovered this precious bundle scampering in our field with Mommy Boo.
Yes , she was vet checked, remember the vet said she was "just fat".. I bought a grazing muzzle to help trim her weight down and it had gotten delayed by the supplier and I just got it yesterday in the mail. So it had never been put on her , thank goodness.Just yesterday she was ripping thru the field with Lightning.
OMG!!!!!!We are so excited!!!!!!!Everything here is neutered so we have never had a baby. We are grandparents!!!We want to tell the world...oh what joy!!!!!
After Boo was adopted by us it was mentioned that she could possibly be bred but it was not a certainty and after the vet said she was not pregnant...well I was more concerned about her being obese and foundering so she had stayed in the "poor" field all summer to help curb her calorie intake...oh I so hope she got enough nutrients for her baby.
We called our vet---a different one--to come check things out tomorrow, just to be sure all is ok.
We don't even know if it is a colt or filly!
hahaha..we are so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14+kitties
August 15th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Wow!! Amazing!! I bet you are on cloud nine!! I would be. :cloud9:
What a little darling. I can see lots of spoiling in that little one's life. Happy surprise pony day Grandma!!!

aslan
August 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM
:flirt::flirt::flirt: congratulations gramma and grampa fancyappy..... wow that was a quick weightloss program.

Frenchy
August 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM
OMG that is so freaking cute !!! :cloud9: what a surprise that must have been :crazy:

Congratulation grandma !!!!

kathryn
August 15th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I saw a horse being born on animal planet before and it scared me. It just kinda goes plop onto the ground.

Well congrats! Horses are not my thing, but awwwww the little man/lady is sooo cute!

jealma
August 15th, 2008, 10:47 PM
That is amazing. I am kind of shocked that the vet said she was just over weight. Let us know what the new vet says on the baby's health, she looks just wonderful in the pictures. Congradulations, :thumbs up

luckypenny
August 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Omg, what a pretty baby :cloud9: :lovestruck:.

Congratulations to Mama Boo and all of the FancyAppy clan.

FancyAppy
August 15th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Thank you all so much!!!!!!
We are absolutely thrilled...I can hardly breath!!!!!such a surprise....and relief. I was so worried about her weight and how many ways being obese can hurt a horse. Especially a mini.
.....Our vet could not ultrasound her because her equipment was not mobile. So she did a hands on exam, twice, and was firm in her covinction that the mare was just overweight.After her hands on exam, she felt transporting her for an ultrasound was unneccesary.The supposed date the mare could have been exposed to a stallion would have put her only a few months along and she was way, way fatter than a few months along. So again with this info the vet felt we were looking at an obese horse. Minis can easily get obese and she had seen this quite alot this summer in other mini's.
I contacted the orig owner and confirmed that she had briefly been with a stallion in late April. A horse carries a baby 11 months so Boo's weight did not match up with a late April breeding.And the other owner felt strongly that Boo had not been caught...so with this info , the vet again felt confidant in her conviction we had a fat horse not a pregnant one.
I just had her looked at for the second time 5 weeks ago and she did not show any signs of pregnancy that mares usually exibit such as developing a milk vein, a milk sac, waxing up, pointed belly, etc.
But what do I know . We have never had a pregnant anything .That is why I called the vet....
We had a bunch of wrong info and a horse showing no traditional signs of pregnancy...so I don't blame the vet. I should have insisted on an ultrasound...but live and learn. What a bunch of stooges we all were...but everything seems ok and that is the most important thing.
Well Boo fooled us all.
Here are pics of Boo yesterday. I remember thinking with dismay that she was just getting fatter by the day and if I did not do something she was going to founder...I was so worried about her weight...oh I feel foolish and elated at the same time.....Can't imagine how surprised the vet will be.And red faced I am sure.

FancyAppy
August 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
one more baby pic then I will stop!!!!!!
We are so excited!!!!!!

luckypenny
August 15th, 2008, 11:52 PM
...but everything seems ok and that is the most important thing.

Exactly ;). No point troubling yourself over it now. As long as everyone's healthy and happy, just enjoy it all now :cloud9:.

luckypenny
August 15th, 2008, 11:53 PM
one more baby pic then I will stop!!!!!!

Nooooo :yell:.

:D Have you thought of names yet?

Gail P
August 16th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Congratulations! :stork-baby: What a little cutie, and he looks like he's going to be a palomino. :thumbs up Maybe this is Boo's first foal and that's why she hid the pregnancy so well?

If vet hasn't already suggested it, it's a good idea to apply iodine to the navel. Until it completely closes over bacteria can enter there and lead to an infection which causes the joints to swell. There's a proper name for it that I can't think of, but it's referred to as joint ill and can cause permanent damage I believe. Not trying to scare you, I'm sure that many horses give birth without the benefit of the iodine and the foals are just fine, but it's a preventative measure you could take. Also, it's always a good idea to check the afterbirth to make sure none is missing. If the foal's feet tear a piece off and it doesn't pass out that can be really bad for the mare. Oh yeah, and watch to make sure that all the foals "plumbing" etc. is fully functional. Sometimes the very first stool doesn't always pass out easily as it's very thick and sticky.

So is Boo being a good mom? :fingerscr

Stacer
August 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Wow!! That is absolutely amazing. Congratulations, what a happy surprise. Don't stop with the pictures, we love them!!

badger
August 16th, 2008, 08:51 AM
oh I feel foolish and elated at the same time

No better feeling.
Clever girl, she outfoxed you all, not even showing you she was in labour!
Precious baby will need a very special name, given the circumstances of her arrival.
I wish I could have seen your husband's face, or yours for that matter. Unbelievable!
Congrats!

Melinda
August 16th, 2008, 10:06 AM
she/he is gorgeous!!! Lucky you, I so envy you , able to watch this little one grow!! umm and more pics would be appreciated AND expected

14+kitties
August 16th, 2008, 10:09 AM
So have you thought of a name yet? If not - how about Little Miracle? She sure seems like that's what she is. :cloud9:

erykah1310
August 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
What a sweetie:cloud9::lovestruck:
Congrats!!!
And please dont stop the pictures, I love horse pictures

angeldogs
August 16th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Congrats and a gorgeous foal

Winston
August 16th, 2008, 12:58 PM
FancyApp what a precious miracle! god she/he is a beauty! You must have been so shocked! She is precious and looks like an Angel to me!

Cindy

Brandykins
August 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Aw what a lovely surprise you got! That wee foal is a wee stunner, really beautiful. The Mummy is gorgeous as well. I wish the new babe lots of goodness in life and hugs to Mummy as well.

Look forward to seeing more pics, please:)

Take care. :thumbs up:thumbs up

rainbow
August 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Congratulations Grandma & Grandpa FancyAppy and Momma Boo !!!

OMG, you must be on cloud nine......what a wonderful surprise. :cloud9:

I am so glad that Boo didn't have any complications giving birth since neither you or the vet was expecting this. And I'm also very happy that there was a delay in the shipping of the grazing muzzle. :thumbs up

And, yes, we need lots and lots of pics of this precious baby growing up. :goodvibes:

allymack
August 16th, 2008, 03:50 PM
thats so exciting! congrats grandma and grandpa Fancyappy!! were looking forward to lots more pictures!

growler~GateKeeper
August 17th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Adorable :lovestruck: sweet little baby :cloud9:

amaya
August 18th, 2008, 01:45 PM
How adorable!

And isn't that amazing that no-one knew she was pregnant…this seems very common with rescued equines, one day a baby appears!

Well Boo is very lucky that sweet baby was born into such a wonderful family.

WOW, what a gift. Life is amazing.

happycats
August 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM
congratulations!!!
Do you know if its a girl or boy yet? and what about a name?

AWWWWWWWWWWW WHat a cutie.........and please more pictures:lovestruck::cloud9:

Ford Girl
August 18th, 2008, 02:48 PM
SURPRISE!!!! :laughing: :laughing:

What a wonderful surprise, the best kind of surprise! :cloud9: Its so nice to see something so wonderful happen in the midst of some of the awful things we see and hear about. So happy the mom and little one are healthy. :goodvibes:

I agree.....more pics please!!! :pray: :pray:

ancientgirl
August 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

Wow what a wonderful surprise!

And don't you dare stop posting pictures of that little angel! What a sweet little thing.

mollywog
August 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
wow! Reading the story and seeing the pictures gave me a warm fuzzy feeling... what a surprise indeed! I couldn't imagine your shock when you walked out to see a newborn foal staggering around with her!!! its almost unbelievable!
I agree wholeheartedly with everyone else here..... MORE PICTURES!!! please! :lovestruck:
I can't wait to hear more details about the little one!

FancyAppy
August 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the congrats everyone!
This has been the only baby born on our farm and I feel it is such a gift. We are going to enjoy every min of this...who would have ever thought we would ever have this extraordinary experience...we are truly thrilled.
A year ago we had no Boo or baby Boo...I was so devastated by Chuckys death.I could not see a future here without Chucky. My pain was so great over his loss, I could not breathe, I could not see ever moving forward from my grief.
Our hearts were shattered...we did not think we could ever recapture our joy here. Losing Chucky broke both our hearts and all our dreams of country life.
....and now we have a farm full of rescued/adopted furries and now a baby..our first baby.
And it is all directly related to Chucky...He led us to the baby goats and thru them we met the donkeys, and thru them we met the mini horses and thru them we now have this baby.
Chucky has filled our farm with precious lives, filled our hearts back up with love.
We are now mom and dad to many rescued and adopted furbabies. We would not have met any of them if not for Chucky.
I am so grateful for my blessings.
I am indeed blessed to see the cycle of life and love begin anew.
From love comes love.
Welcome Baby !!!!!!!!
Now we dedicate our farm, rescue and adoption efforts to Chucky who is with us forever.Within the love and life on our farm, Chucky remains,.. gifting us with his legacy..
Chucky .Forever Beloved

FancyAppy
August 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
.thank you so much for the congrats...we are on cloud nine.
What have we got as new filly parents? an amazing outpouring of support, well wishes and ooooh and aaaahs...so many folks have come to visit her and marvel and laugh over the surprise baby....and my husband...well I don't think I have seen him this happy in months. He is radiant with joy....remember he is a lifelong city-dweller and this is all so wonderous and amazing to him. The beaming smile on his face is priceless.
..oh yes this was a wonderful surprise, the best ever.I can not think of any other time in my life I was so surprised...shocked...then delighted.Eric actually found her...we think about an hour after her birth...he is so happy about the baby
..thank you all so much..we are so delighted.
here is hubby with "his" baby girl

FancyAppy
August 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
ok I can't stop...here are more of baby girl

FancyAppy
August 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
and a few more........

krdahmer
August 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM
:eek: Wow what a great surprise!!! She's adorable... congrats to you guys and mommy too! :lovestruck:

jessi76
August 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM
how on earth i missed this thread is beyond me....

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! she is spectacular! what an amazing gift! any names being considered yet?

and I'm w/ the others... don't you dare stop the pics!!! more !!! more!!!

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Fancy, I'm bawling like a baby. Chucky was indeed a special little guy to have been such an inspiration to you and you hubby to have rescued all of these wonderful babies.

Your new addition is so tiny! Have you named her? Milagro perhaps? Milly for short. Milagro is miracle in Spanish :D

FancyAppy
August 19th, 2008, 09:31 PM
oh Sorry I can't stop. with the pics..We probably have 200 pics of her! here she is eating. Swinging her butt in delight.

krdahmer
August 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Oh thats too cute... wearing mommy's tail like a mane!! :laughing:

14+kitties
August 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the congrats everyone!
This has been the only baby born on our farm and I feel it is such a gift. We are going to enjoy every min of this...who would have ever thought we would ever have this extraordinary experience...we are truly thrilled.
A year ago we had no Boo or baby Boo...I was so devastated by Chuckys death.I could not see a future here without Chucky. My pain was so great over his loss, I could not breathe, I could not see ever moving forward from my grief.
Our hearts were shattered...we did not think we could ever recapture our joy here. Losing Chucky broke both our hearts and all our dreams of country life.
....and now we have a farm full of rescued/adopted furries and now a baby..our first baby.
And it is all directly related to Chucky...He led us to the baby goats and thru them we met the donkeys, and thru them we met the mini horses and thru them we now have this baby.
Chucky has filled our farm with precious lives, filled our hearts back up with love.
We are now mom and dad to many rescued and adopted furbabies. We would not have met any of them if not for Chucky.
I am so grateful for my blessings.
I am indeed blessed to see the cycle of life and love begin anew.
From love comes love.Welcome Baby !!!!!!!!
Now we dedicate our farm, rescue and adoption efforts to Chucky who is with us forever.Within the love and life on our farm, Chucky remains,.. gifting us with his legacy..
Chucky .Forever Beloved

What a beautiful loving tribute to your Chucky. Brought a tear or two to my eyes. There's been way too many of them lately but these were happy tears.

I bolded one section of what you wrote. I know I "suggested" a name before for your new sweetheart but I do believe you came up with an absolutely perfect one yourself! How about Blessed? Or Blessed Love? Blessed Pride? I don't know, seems to fit.

14+kitties
August 19th, 2008, 09:47 PM
She is just so precious! And Mom looks soooo proud!

FancyAppy
August 19th, 2008, 09:48 PM
thank you all so much. I can hardly contain my joy.
This is an extra special experience for my husband and I .We are very happy grandparents !
What a blessing to experience the joy of sharing life with fur babies of any kind..We can not imagine life any other way.

allymack
August 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
i just love looking at her, i kepp coming back to look at the pictures :o

aslan
August 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
14+ great minds think alike, from reading what fancyappy said two names stuck out for me, blessed or joy...she is absolutely adorable.

and must say this :rip:chucky...

Gail P
August 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Wow, what a stunning pair of horses. :lovestruck: Not just because the filly is tiny and cute, but she looks to have very nice "horsey" conformation (re: the discussion in a previous post about some minis looking horsey, and others looking like fat little ponies or dwarfy). Boo's looking great, she's trimmed quite a lot off that belly already :thumbs up

So....names? If she was a colt I was going to suggest Sir Prize but I guess that one won't work! There've been lots of great suggestions, but here are a few more:

Charm
Chance
Destiny
Delight
Fate
Grace
Treasure
Trinket
Mirage (bet dh did a double take and rubbed his eyes when he found her!)
Peek (or Peeka, as in PeekaBoo)

Byrd
August 19th, 2008, 11:58 PM
OMG She is absolutely gorgeous!!! As is mom.

Peek is cute, I once read a book that had a horse named Peek and another named Pooka, I've always loved Pooka for a small dog name... it means mischevious Irish spirit. Not to mention that Peek goes so well with Boo.

I love the pic where Boo is kissing your hubby as he's holdint the baby.

rainbow
August 21st, 2008, 04:10 AM
i just love looking at her, i kepp coming back to look at the pictures :o

I keep going back to look at them as well. :lovestruck:

14+ great minds think alike, from reading what fancyappy said two names stuck out for me, blessed or joy...she is absolutely adorable.

Oh, I do like Joy because she absolutely is. :cloud9:

:rip: Chucky :candle:

Melinda
August 21st, 2008, 05:41 AM
I also like "Angel".............you said she was an angel, and maybe Chucky sent her down to you *S*......and her coloring is perfect for that name!

Love4himies
August 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Chucky.

Baby Boo is so adorable :cloud9: I love looking at your pics.

chico2
August 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
I've been MIA for a few days,but OMG Mr and Mrs Fancyapps,what a wonderful,exciting surprise.
The baby is just absolutely adorable:lovestruck:
Somebody decided to reward you and hubby for being such fabulous people,rescuing and caring for all your critters the way you do,so you got a beautiful little bundle of joy,I am sooooo happy for you:thumbs upGONGRATS:stork-baby:

babymomma
August 21st, 2008, 06:03 PM
Aaleyah-It means the greatest gift... Its Arabic

Folkwitch
August 21st, 2008, 07:54 PM
I keep trying to imagine the look on your husband's face when he stumbled upon her! Oh my goodness! Boo keeps her secrets well. A big congratulations...did you choose a name?

rainbow
August 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM

I love that name too. :cloud9:

cpietra16
August 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
What a beautiful and proud mom...she looks so happy; Shame on you thinking she was just fat".......:D:laughing:

rainbow
August 23rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
FancyAppy, have you decided on a name yet? :goodvibes:

aslan
August 23rd, 2008, 06:04 AM

oh oh i really like that one, or Mishka-indian for gift of love

Soter
August 23rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Gr8 foal!!!!!!

:stork-baby:Its so cute, and nice to have a new arrival

Good for you:thumbs up