Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Hawk joined my Crows for brekki this morn'

chico2
August 15th, 2008, 07:47 AM
It was really something,he was eating right beside the Crows.
The pics are terrible,taken through my dirty window,but you can still see him.
I thought he was going to attack my Crows,since he was so much bigger,but he did not...

14+kitties
August 15th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Wonderful!!!! :cloud9:

aslan
August 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM
wow, he is gorgeous, wouldn't expect that in your yard in the morning..

cpietra16
August 15th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Chico, wild animals don't usually aatack unless they need ot eat their prey:)I remember when I lived in BC seing a cougar right outside my neighbours yard. She was sunning on a big boulder and my neighbour was right beneath her gardening with her kittens running around. She wasn't interested ( at least not at that moment) in food.....I did call her and warn her incase she wasn't aware of her gardening onlooker....:D
All ended well for that day.

chico2
August 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
CPietra,usually the Crows chase away any Hawk here,but not today:shrug:
Aslan,I have all kinds here in the winter,probably because I have 3 bird-feeders and The Hawks favorite is catching one of "my"Pigeons...I don't interfere.the Hawks have to eat too..although it's sad:sad:

Winston
September 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
CHico here are some pics to use as a guide to see if you can identify this type of hawk.

1) Broadwinged Hawk
2) Goshawk
3) Merlin

Winston
September 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
and a couple more

1) Sharp shinned Hawk
2) Swainsons Hawk

chico2
September 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Winston,watching him this morning in flight,his wings are very broad,his tailfeathers are straight not fan-like like some,yellow legs.
He is all brownish white(like so many others),striped tail.
It could be he is a young bird,not yet having learned of some dangers.
I check for him every morning now and there he is.:thumbs up
I know my Crows behaviour when there is a hawk around.

Winston
September 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Did you notice ever if he had bands on his legs? what color is the beak?
are only his feet yellow?

chico2
September 4th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Winston,I'll check tomorrow morning,but I think I would have noticed a band when he was just outside my kitchen-window.
I got some leftover meat(hubbys lunch:laughing:)I'll put out tomorrow,maybe I can get a better look.

Winston
September 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Sounds good Chico...see if you can get a pic of his face!

Arent they beutiful creatures though! I hate that they have to kill others but just looking at them amazes me!

chico2
September 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Winston,my camera is not good enough to get a picture of his face:sad:but I'll try to describe it...and I agree,although they take my poor Pigeons,they are beautiful creatures.

happycats
September 4th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Great pics!! Nature at it's finest!

Is that a large Hoya plant in your window?....they have the most beautiful flowers! sorry :offtopic:

chico2
September 5th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Happycats,yes,it's a Hoya plant,have had it for a few years and it only bloomed twice,strange looking flowers..:)

happycats
September 5th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Happycats,yes,it's a Hoya plant,have had it for a few years and it only bloomed twice,strange looking flowers..:)

My mom has that one too, and a small one as well. her's bloom almost all year, but she found the secret to that was, Hoya's HATE being moved, if you move them they won't bloom.
I love the flowers, and very fragrant too.

chico2
September 5th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Yes Happycats.I was told that,when a friend gave it to me,it's been in the kitchen-window ever since and it's growing like crazy.
I think it needs re-potting but I am afraid to:shrug:

happycats
September 5th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Yes Happycats.I was told that,when a friend gave it to me,it's been in the kitchen-window ever since and it's growing like crazy.
I think it needs re-potting but I am afraid to:shrug:

My mom also trims the "trailers" and that makes it bloom as well.