Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Muffin was staggering

wolfshades
August 15th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Hi everyone.

First note: Muffin - a 15 year old, long haired grey cat - is at the vet's right now.

Here she is:

A couple of days ago, I saw her stagger as she walked across the room. Then, she tried to jump up on my lap and didn't make it. You know how cats, when they leap and don't quite make it, will recover and look as if they never tried in the first place? :) Well, this time she didn't recover. She just lay there, exactly where she fell. Of course I picked her up and put her in my lap but it worried me.

Over the next day she became quite lethargic and was sleeping all the time and she wouldn't eat or drink. So I took her to the vet.

He found that she was severely dehydrated. Initial urinalysis showed that her kidneys had failed and that there was probably a urinary tract infection as well, so he put her on I.V., then sat and talked with me.

Depending upon the blood test results his initial thoughts were: 1) this might be manageable. The kidney failure could be a matter of her age combined with hereditary factors, and might be manageable with the right kind of food plus water injections (given by me) under the skins on a regular basis. 2) if she doesn't respond to the I.V. - she will in overnight for two nights - then I'll need to make a decision accordingly. (Sorry, can't quite bring myself to call it what it is)

Anyway...I'm wondering if anyone here has had a pet in this situation? I'm wondering at the quality of life for her if this can be managed at home. Just projecting here but...a bad kidney doesn't become well even if it's managed. I'm picturing her eventually regressing over time - and do NOT want to see her in any kind of pain at all.

Ultimately of course it's my decision. But I could benefit from any experience you might have had.

Love4himies
August 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I am so sorry to hear about that stunning beauty of yours.

Please don't make any decisions until you have heard from sugarcatmom and growler. They are absolute cat health gurus;)

14+kitties
August 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Ditto what L4H said! She is a gorgeous girl! I am so sorry she is going through this. :sad: :fingerscr for you and her.

sugarcatmom
August 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Wow, Muffin is a stunner. So sorry to hear about her kidney disease. The amazing thing about cats is their ability to pull through stuff like this, so instead of focusing on any negative possibilities, lets focus on how we can make her better. Growler is another member here who has been treating her 17yr old CRF cat, Duffy, and she'll have lots more info for you. I mostly just want to say that YES, this disease is manageable. Many a cat has "crashed" before and pulled through, so my fingers are crossed that the vets can get Muffin out of this crisis and you can start treating her at home.

The keystone of treatment is a good quality, lower phosphorus wet food (Wellness Turkey or Chicken, Innova Evo 95% Beef or Venison, Precise Triple Delight, Merrick Cowboy Cookout are some good canned ones; Nature's Variety makes a good raw). Please don't let the vets insist you feed a low-protein prescription food (especially not dry!) as this is old-school thinking that should never have been applied to cats. They need protein, whether they have CRF or not. If your cat has only eaten dry food and doesn't like wet, we can work on getting her gradually switched over.

There are various medications and supplements that can be useful depending on blood work and what other issues are present. Drugs for high blood pressure, phosphorus binders, calcitriol, potassium supplements, subcutaneous fluids.... the vet should be able to recommend where to go from here. In the meantime, there is a lot of reading you can do on these 2 sites to get yourself familiar with the terminology:
http://www.felinecrf.org/
http://www.felinecrf.com/index.htm
And a site explaining how to give subQ fluids: http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weird/stuff/pets/cats/sophia/catjuice.html

This is doable!! Let us know how it goes, and good luck. :grouphug:

wolfshades
August 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I posted this prior to hearing the first update from the vet. I was expecting his call and sure enough he called at 10:00

Muffin didn't respond to the I.V. and so she passed away at 2:00 a.m. today.

She's not suffering. And my heart will get better. Someday.

It kinds of hurts pretty bad though.

sugarcatmom
August 15th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I posted this prior to hearing the first update from the vet. I was expecting his call and sure enough he called at 10:00

Muffin didn't respond to the I.V. and so she passed away at 2:00 a.m. today.

She's not suffering. And my heart will get better. Someday.

It kinds of hurts pretty bad though.

Oh no!! I'm so sorry.......
:rip: Muffin :candle:

phoozles
August 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss - Muffin was a real beauty.

She's not suffering any more. :rip: Muffin :candle:

wolfshades
August 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Thank you sugarcatmom and phoozles.

Sugarcatmom: your advice is sound, even if I came to the forum too late to take advantage of it for Muffin. Well, too late getting her to the doctor too, I suppose, though there was no real indication anything was wrong, and she had been to see him two months prior. You just can't tell sometimes and the little ones won't speak English so they can let you know. :(

sugarcatmom
August 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM
there was no real indication anything was wrong, and she had been to see him two months prior. (

Cats are the masters of hiding illness, that's for sure. And these things can sneak up pretty fast. Most of the usual tests don't indicate any renal insufficiency until about 75% of kidney function is already lost. Again, I wish you had a better outcome with Muffin, but she no doubt had a wonderful life with you and loved you very much. My condolences on your loss. :grouphug:

14+kitties
August 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I am so so sorry for your loss. Muffin was a doll. I am sure you gave her a wonderful life.
:candle: :rip: sweet one :candle:

:grouphug: to you wolfshades. We are here for you if you need to talk.

BenMax
August 15th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I have been closely watching this thread and thought of you during the day. I am sincerly sorry to hear about your loss. Our hearts are heavy for you. I wish you peace. You provided so much love and compassion - bless you and your baby.

Again my condolences.

aslan
August 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
i was watching the thread too waiting to hear some news, I am soooo sorry for your loss. :grouphug: from me and my fuzzy family

:rip:muffin

wolfshades
August 15th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks so much for your warm thoughts, everyone.

She was a huge part of my life and I'm missing her like crazy already. We understood each other so well - she read me like a book sometimes.

I have to say this too: the vet was awesome. The fact that he was checking on her in the middle of the night speaks volumes to me. The man simply cares - so I know she was in a good place when she died.

Thanks again everyone.

growler~GateKeeper
August 16th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Wolfshades I'm so sorry to hear Muffin has passed :sad: :2huggers:

I'm sorry I wasn't on yesterday :grouphug: I hope you take comfort from knowing cats with kidney failure are not in pain so she was not suffering :2huggers:

:rip: sweet :angel2: Muffin :candle:

Please know Muffin is running & jumping free at The Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html)

:grouphug:

rainbow
August 17th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Muffin was a gorgeous girl. :lovestruck:

I am very sorry to hear of her passing :grouphug: .......she will always leave pawprints on your heart. :candle: :pawprint:

Love4himies
August 18th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about Muffin.

:rip: Muffin :candle: