Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

researching vaccinations and side effects

suzyljank
July 13th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Hi. I've been doing some research on vaccinating pets and the possible side effects and was stunned by what I found. Has anyone else had a problem with their pet after a shot? I did not realize that many pets get very sick and worse after vaccinations. Why don't vets tell you this before they give a shot? It just doesn't seem right. It seems that many pets are over vaccinated and that makes matters worse. Would like to hear from anyone else who has had a problem like this. Thanks......Suzy

Luba
July 13th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Thats a good question and yes

More then once I've seen allergic reactions to vaccinations.

Did you find in your research that the dosage is not adjusted according to the size/weight of the animal?

Pretty dense if you ask me! A pomeranian gets the same dosage a horse would? Thats just asking for trouble.

I don't believe in yearly vaccinations myself, they weaken the immune system and dogs acually have several years immunity and antibodies after just the first vaccine.

chico2
July 14th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Rocky(tabby cat 8yrs)is going for his annual tomorrow and all this talk about over-vaccination has me a bit concerned.
I always naively believed a vet would only have the animals health as first priority,but I guess it's not always the case.
My cats get rabies shots every 2 years,looking at their charts,I see they get a combined shot of Panleukopenia(whatever that is?),Rhinotracheitis(?),Calicivirus(?) and Feline Leukemia.
I have noticed no ill effects from vax in my cats,maybe a little sleepyness and an allover excitment from the whole in-the carrier-in-the car-to the vet-experience :D I will however ask many questions tomorrow,to get more info as to what and why is injected into my cats.

c bryant
August 14th, 2004, 09:51 PM
The day before yesterday, we took our 1 yr. old bengal to the vet to get his rabies and feline leukemia shots. On the way home, he began to have diarrhea and vomited once. As soon as we arrived at home, we found that he could barely walk and his face began swelling to the point that he could barely open his eyes. He began having difficulty breathing, and his ears were very red. All of this occurred within 20-30 minutes of the shot.

We immediately took him back to the vet and he gave him Benadryl and told us to take him home and give him more in 2 hours.

During the night (10 hours after the vaccination), he began vomiting blood. Unable to reach the vet, we rushed him to an emergency vet hospital. That vet gave him a shot, x-rays, and sent home some medication to coat his stomach. He told us to give him the medicine, make him comfortable, and watch him for 48 hours.

It has now been 52 hours since the vaccination. He is lethargic; his eyes are glassy-looking and will not acknowledge movement; he drank a little water, but vomited it about an hour later. The vet says it is a "wait and see", but we are extremely concerned.

I am not saying that vaccines are a bad idea, but each animal is different and can react differently. Unfortunately, our cat turned out to be allergic to either one or both of the vaccines.

Only the owner and the vet can make the decision whether or not to vaccinate.
Good luck with your decision.

Luba
August 14th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Oh I'm so very sorry to hear about that. I hope things turn around for the better.

If you decide to vaccinate do it when the pet is healthy and you can always ask the vet to separate vaccines so not done at the same time.

I hope so for your furries recovery from this.

chico2
August 15th, 2004, 09:06 AM
CBryant.
Two days after my cat Rocky had his shots,he had what seem to be some sort of seizure,glassy eyes,unable to walk on rubbery legs and vomiting.
It has happened on three other occasions,once a year.
I of course discussed it with the vet the first time it happened and she thought heat-stroke,the second time a year after she said it was a side-effect of meds he was on.
Now,this third time,I looked at all the dates and realized all three times was concurrent with his vax's.
Rocky is 8 yrs old,never leaves my backyard or my sight and I have decided,in the 8 yrs of regular shots he's had,no more is needed,except rabies every 2 years.
My vet probably will not like it,vax's are a big money-maker,but this time I thought Rocky would die,luckily he recovered,but I will not knowingly hurt my cat anymore.

goldenblaze
August 15th, 2004, 01:32 PM
I hope that I don't get anyone upset with me adding my thoughts on this subject. I wonder about giving the shots yearly! In my township we must give rabies every year and I do, but some people as we read think the others are not something that is needed. I do know that some vaccines cause reaction, when my pup was given his 1st at 8 weeks it did bring on the demodex mange that was passed from mother.

My vet told me that the vaccines have good and bad and I have always given the first set of vaccines for puppies and than went every three year. I wonder how it really does work on the immune system, I am adding safe stuff to help with mange to Blaze's diet and know that he will not be given anymore shots other than rabies till he is maybe 3 and Jordie is now due as he is turning 4 in Sept he has been a very heathly dog no problems. So in my home our pets are every 3 yrs until I have been told by my vet yearly is needed and safe.

I believe the important thing is all pets are cared for the best we can and we learn more and more about improving their health do what you believe just always take your pet to vet if needed. :)

glasslass
August 15th, 2004, 01:54 PM
I will always be sure to schedule the appointment for vaccinations early on a day I can be with him the whole day. Then, if there's the least sign of a reaction, I can take him back in to my same vet for help. I never knew that reactions were so common.

Luba
August 15th, 2004, 02:05 PM
I have to dig up the info I read on them before but apparently reactions are 1 in every 10.

karenscotties
August 24th, 2004, 10:29 AM
I undefined

I am writing because of a problem I had with a scotty with liver cancer. She was forced to have a rabies shot by my vet or he wouldn't continue to treat her. She was 11-1/2 at the time and was doing really well despite she was terminally ill. I asked him not to give it to her that I was worried it would negatively affect her immune system and she would get worse. She did get worse, and died a couple months later. She was vital until the shot. My Agricultural Dept. for the state says that it doesn't matter if a dog is ill, the law prevails. Is there any evidence out there that can back up my position so I can try to change the law so that a dying dog doesn't have to get a shot?

Karen

CarlaD
August 24th, 2004, 11:28 AM
We recently ran into this problem with Charlie.

He had his second shots and then became very very very ill. I had to take time off of work and he was going to the bathroom every 4-6 minutes. The little guy was sick.

The vet said that it was from his shots. Next time that he gets them he will have to have Benadryl 8 hours prior and then 1 hour prior so that he does not have a severe reaction again.

It is heartbreaking watching them go through this sort of thing, because you hate to see your animal so sick and at the same time these shots are supposed to help them and really they are just making them sick.

doggab
August 24th, 2004, 09:57 PM
:confused:

is it possible to have a reaction to the vaccination 1 week later??? my late puppy just got her 3rd boosters before things went ary. it crossed my mind but i won't go into great detail.

Luba
August 24th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Yes Benadryl can help before a vaccination is given if the dog is known to have adverse reactions.

Boosting the dogs immune system is the key with fresh foods, chicken, beef, turkey and steamed veggies along with supplements of shark cartiledge, omega fatty acids, vitamin e (no vit e if the dogs due for surgery though..it thins blood).

A great way to get omega fatty acids is though fish oil, so salmon and sardines are great supplements.

You would have to approach counsel for them to consider a change to the bylaw for rabies. I know it's awful I hated it too when my dog was ill.

If you read my other posts you'll see I am absolutely against yearly vaccines and preventative heart medicines, flea meds and such.
They only weaken your dogs immunity.

Best of luck to you all.....and if you have any specific issues or concerns or questions relating to your OWN pet it may be a good idea to post a new topic. The regulars on here sometimes won't come back to old posts...and I almost didnt' myself ;)

Take care of your woofies :D