Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats run out the front door every time I come home

Joeyjoejoe
August 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM
This has been an ongoing problem for the last few weeks. Whenever I come home from work, my two cats will run out the front door the second I open it. Since I live in a condo, this isn't a big problem. But it does get annoying that I'm always 'kitten wrangling' every time I come home.

I tried blocking the opening like when I played defensive tackle (football) way back in high school, but they are too quick! I tried sneaking in as well, but they actually wait by the door.

Love4himies
August 12th, 2008, 01:22 PM
They can hear your footsteps as you are coming down the hall, so the run to the door to get ready to run. Sneaky little devils aren't they:laughing:.

Sorry, I don't have any advice, I have tried everything to keep my foster kittens in their room in the morning before I go to work when I just want to feed them and clean thier litterbox. DH sometimes accompanies me and plays goalie as they try to run out.:laughing:

phoozles
August 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I try the old foot blocking the entrance, and I always say "back up, back up" .. I think I just have fooled myself into thinking it works :rolleyes: Alley's pretty agile, and she gets right out onto the driveway - then I have to spend the next 10 minutes trying to get her out from under the car. :frustrated:

14+kitties
August 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Sorry Phoozles, that image is too funny!!

Joeyjoejoe - I feel your pain. I have a couple that do that too but I blame myself. I was the one who took them out on a harness! Is there a screen or something you can get that can block your door? It will give you a chance to get in the door and get it closed before they get you. Other than that :shrug:

krdahmer
August 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Water, water and more water. When I was training my outdoor boys to stay in I had a water bottle at the ready on both sides of the door.... every time I entered and exited they got sprayed (because they were always at the door), it took a little time but eventually they stopped rushing the door and now take a leisurely stroll to meet me once I'm in. The odd time it's open for them to look out the screen now, all I have to do is make the water bottle noise and they scatter so that I can go in or out. The spray bottle has to be set to stream so that they feel it hit them, I mean who would be startled by a nice misting! :rolleyes::laughing: It teaches them to fear the door, which although mean on some level... really really works. In fact hubby left the door ajar the other day and I panicked, only to find that all 6 were accounted for and not even interested in it at all, which is good- a slight nudge of the head and they could have been out!

They've been in for 3 years now and we've had 2 incidents with a run for it.... and one of those was the purolator guys fault... and they got no more than a couple of feet outside the door before they stopped.

Joeyjoejoe
August 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Sorry Phoozles, that image is too funny!!

Joeyjoejoe - I feel your pain. I have a couple that do that too but I blame myself. I was the one who took them out on a harness! Is there a screen or something you can get that can block your door? It will give you a chance to get in the door and get it closed before they get you. Other than that :shrug:

I don't think the condo will allow me to put up a screen door. Kyuubi is a little pudgy and slow, but Azrael is really athletic. From a sitting position, he can jump 5 feet easily. So putting up any obstacles (besides a wall) would be pointless.

Water, water and more water. When I was training my outdoor boys to stay in I had a water bottle at the ready on both sides of the door.... every time I entered and exited they got sprayed (because they were always at the door), it took a little time but eventually they stopped rushing the door and now take a leisurely stroll to meet me once I'm in. The odd time it's open for them to look out the screen now, all I have to do is make the water bottle noise and they scatter so that I can go in or out. The spray bottle has to be set to stream so that they feel it hit them, I mean who would be startled by a nice misting! :rolleyes::laughing: It teaches them to fear the door, which although mean on some level... really really works. In fact hubby left the door ajar the other day and I panicked, only to find that all 6 were accounted for and not even interested in it at all, which is good- a slight nudge of the head and they could have been out!

They've been in for 3 years now and we've had 2 incidents with a run for it.... and one of those was the purolator guys fault... and they got no more than a couple of feet outside the door before they stopped.

I've done some research online and it seems like everyone recommends the water spray bottle/gun approach. The problem is I cannot leave it outside my place... again, condo won't allow it. Also, I'm not carrying a water bottle/gun whenever I leave my place (even a pocket sized one). Last thing I want is something full of water leaking down my pants! :D

I'm going to try this out. I never used water as a deterrent method, so I don't know how they will take it.

jealma
August 13th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hope you find a solution to your problem. Dog owner here and they do the same thing to, but I find with my dog she is more interested in trying to jump on me than get out the door.

Thanks for the chuckle,, I can just see the water drops down the pants and someone talking to you wondering what is going on with you,, lol,,

Tundra_Queen
September 10th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Hi
Can u put a baby gate just inside the door so u can grab it just by sticking your hand around the corner with the door open a tiny bit? Or if u drive to work,,,take the baby gate with u so that u have it in your hands pulled out as u walk in the door? I use a baby gate to herd wilbur back from the door.