Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

house training

baxter
August 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Hi..I recently purchased a 6 month old Bichon Frise from a pet store, being at the store so long and peeing on newspapers has not been a good idea. i cant make her understand that she has to go outside, i've taken the papers outside when we go but she still doesn't understand. Does anyone have any suggestions?:dog:

Frenchy
August 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM
The only advices I can give you (and maybe you're doing it already) is to stay with her outside until she goes. When she does go , praise her A LOT !

If you caught her in the act inside , just say no , pick her up and take her outside but don't be negative with her.

You can do this , just takes patience , always remember where she comes from.

Good luck ! :fingerscr

aslan
August 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Frenchy is totally on the ball. I too have a 6mth old that spent that entire time in a cage. Mine it was all or nothing, i don't use papers, obviously can't use the crate. It's patience and watching them all the time. Take the pup outside frequently, when they pee or poop make a whole big thing about it. Be prepared to look like an idiot. Accidents in the house, very firm, i'm soooo disappointed in you NO. It doesn't take them long to figure out this is good, and that is bad.

badger
August 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
If you bought her from a petshop, she's a puppy mill dog. She was born in a cage, stayed in that cage, was transferred to another cage, then sold to you. So she has no concept of 'holding it', much less 'going outside'.
Take her out on a regular basis, after she eats, after she sleeps, last thing at night, etc., and make a huge fuss when she goes. When she has accidents, quietly clean it up, no punishment, do not even raise your voice. Use an enzymatic cleaner, which gets rid of the smell.
You may want to confine her to one area of the house, such as the kitchen, or tie her to you while in the house. That way, you can 'read' the signs that she has to go (excessive sniffing, getting ready to squat, etc.) and rush her outside.
Be patient and consistent, she'll eventually get it.

Frenchy
August 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Use an enzymatic cleaner, which gets rid of the smell.

Oh yes , I forgot about that ! Very important !!!

lotus
August 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Badger is right. Did exactly that with my 2 year old rescue she is now house broken had her 2 months now. Remember patience and a soft but firm voice goes a long way.
By the way welcome you will fine very good advise here. I also have a Bichon Frise please post pics.:D

t.pettet
August 12th, 2008, 02:10 PM
You might also leave a paper towel on her paper and let it get dripping wet, wring it out where you want her to pee and consistently take her to that exact same spot. Lots of reward when she finally catches on.

baxter
August 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Thank you guys for all the good advise, I'll let you know if theres any progress, shes a beautiful dog, very sweet and loving, her name is Sophie, my other dog is a male shih tzu, 41/2, he's a great dog.:dog:

baxter
August 13th, 2008, 05:17 PM
This dog has bladder control like you wouldnt believe...nothing is working

lotus
August 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I know , in the beginning I use to stay out side for hours before Sugar went, then looked and sounded like the crazy dog lady when she did go.:laughing: (still do:laughing:) Just don't give in.

badger
August 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM
But you know why she holds it - the whole scenario is completely new to her. She is still capable of learning, particularly if she see that it brings treats or simply pleases you. By the way, if she loves a certain treat, you could keep them just for doing the deed outside, that might help.

baxter
August 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Well finally after 10 hours outside with her today she finally peed... YEAH SOPHIE..... I feel so much better, just a little thing but a start, thank you so much for all your help..

aslan
August 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
did you make a whole big woohoo production of it so the neighbours think you've lost it. you know the omg, what a goood girl, woopie dance....

BusterBoo
August 14th, 2008, 07:04 PM
:crazy: Yea for Sophie!!!!! It does take a while for these doggies to understand but with tons of praise, treats and TLC, she will soon understand! I have (on many occasions) stood outside, in rain, snow and sleet (no...I am not a mailman :laughing: ) and then did the GOOD DOG!!!! when Buster finally got it! Now all I have to do is say.....DO GOOD DOG and he will poop!

sure would love to see pictures of your two furkids!!!

Frenchy
August 14th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I'm glad you started to see good results ! Don't give up , you both can do this :thumbs up

baxter
September 1st, 2008, 05:53 AM
:) I am happy to report that Sophie is doing great, we went camping for 2 weeks and she did wonderfully, shes a happy sweet little dog and we love her, even my Shih Tzu is finding her hard to resist...Thank you all so very much:grouphug:

Sylvie
September 1st, 2008, 07:46 AM
So glad things worked out for you. This is a great forum and there is so much good advise. :thumbs up If one thing doesn't work then there is someone else with another suggestion.

Now as a reward do we get pictures of your babies :pray:

allymack
September 1st, 2008, 04:40 PM
welcome to the board! glad to hear that everything worked out when you went camping! you will get lots of greaat advice here!

baxter
September 5th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I'd love to post pics of my little darlings, but being technically challenged as i am I cant seem to get them small enough:shrug:

aslan
September 5th, 2008, 07:26 AM
hey baxter glad things are going well, go online install a program irfanview. when you open the picture click on the top where it says image, scroll down to resize/resample . click that. then click on the right hand side 640x480 the picture will open resized, just save it to your comp.

baxter
October 12th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Hey guys...Sophie is doing great with the house training but I think shes coming in heat..how do i know for sure, I have appointment to get her spayed next month, i was hoping to avoid the unpleasentness:cry:

baxter
October 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM
No great pics but The shih tzu is Baxter and the Bichon is Sophie