Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing a cat and dog

Valerielynn
August 11th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Hello, I am looking for advice on introducing a cat and dog that have never lived with a new pet. Also I just moved for the first time with my cat who is not quite a year old.

sugarcatmom
August 12th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Hi, and welcome to pets.ca!

I think this pdf has some good info on introducing cats and dogs:
http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages/DogBehave/Articles/Cats.pdf

Valerielynn
August 13th, 2008, 01:54 AM
There was some good advice there thanks! My roomate dogs is actally responding better to the cat then she is it him. She just hisses at him!:frustrated: we have only been trying this for a week and everything I read says it will take a few wwks so I am hoping she gets more used to him bc he really is a sweet dog, he is a huskie so he doesnt even bark!

badger
August 13th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Just make sure your cat always has a safe place to go to, where the dog has no access. A baby gate across the entrance to a room is good or something similar. Even if the dog is a sweetie, your room-mate may still have to work on the 'leave it' command if he gets over-enthusiastic.
Good luck!

Valerielynn
August 14th, 2008, 01:24 AM
He is a big dog he has yet to jump a gate but the cat has never been visable on the other side before...and advice on how to saftly see if he would hope it if he had the motivation of the cat on the other side?

lance
August 14th, 2008, 01:35 AM
A soft introduction upfront can tell alot. Like the cat and dog meet between some glass or a cage for response.

Dogs are pack animals and will accept new comers if the pack leader , You , shows them there a wanted addition. So just holding and petting the cat around them and then letting them sniff the cat from back to front first will do alot. If your not the pack leader it might be more diffecult if you have a dog whos in controll.

I have an 80 lb boxer and a wolf hybred and then some stray cat had babbies out front. It took time but the mom lets me handaler her now and after my dogs first meeting in my house they accepted her with great caution. So it is very possible.

badger
August 14th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Your room-mate should be the one handling the dog, at least at the beginning. I disagree with holding the cat up to be sniffed ('soft introduction'), bad idea, it will probably backfire.
At first, keep the cat in your room with the door closed, with all his stuff (litterbox, etc.), let the dog sniff under the door, maybe bring out the cat's blanket or pillow so he can have a good sniff at that. Then after a few days bring the cat out in a cat crate and let them get acquainted without putting the cat at risk. DO NOT rush things, thinking everything will be fine, take thing s-l-ow-l-y.
Even if it's a bit complicated keeping them apart, the way you introduce them will have a big effect on what happens later , ie if it begins badly, it will take much longer for them to settle down.
If there is any aggression on either side (other than hissing or whining or a paws raised in warning), separate them and try again later. Don't rush it.
Even after they are able to be in the same room (always supervised), the cat should have a place to escape to, as noted above.

lance
August 14th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Ive introduced many cats to dogs in this way and only had 1 dog that wouldnt do it. Thats another bad story. But im no expert.

No matter what you do dont show any fear and be very confident as the animals will feed off your emotions.

lm9012
August 14th, 2008, 04:14 PM
YOu've gotten lots of good advice here. I've heard many stories of cats and dogs staying away from each other and then a few months later becoming buds for years to come!

WHen I first brought my kitten home...I did the whole dramatic thing with putting her in a closed room with his favorite stuffed toy, so she could get used to his smell. put her crate and blankets outside the room and let him sniff them, and sniff under the door. Put him in a different room, got her into the crate. leashed him to a doorknob, and put them several feet away from each other..he was leashed, she was in her crate. gave them a few minutes, inched them closer, few minutes more, inched them even closer....eventually letting her out of the crate. She stood there staring, he stood there staring, took his leash off. they walked up to each other and stared....then literally at the EXACT SAME MOMENT, walked past each other and went about their business.. :D

GO FIGURE!!!

I knew she was ok with dogs, she isn't scared of anything, according to her foster family, plus she was still a baby..My dog I knew wasn't phased by much, dogs, cats, birds, etc. He doesn't have much interest in the animal world.

Now, three months later...we all live in harmony..although I wish they'd become better buddies. She tries though, every day she kisses him, grooms him, hunts him, chases him, snuggles up to him....eventually he will reciprocate! well, hopefully..

GOOD LUCK!