Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some prayers and goodvibes for Fagan's brother!

krdahmer
August 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Poor George, Fagan's brother got out of my best friend's house 3 nights ago, and they haven't been able to catch him yet, he seems really spooked from what she said and he is running from them, they have seen him a few times mostly at night, and tonight I gave them my humane trap to try.... I'm a mess! I feel so attached to Fagan and all of his siblings as I kept them all close to me with her and my family. He does have his claws... but the area is not a good one, and there are a lot of speeders on their road. He is most likely holed up in the jungle of a yard the next door neighbours have.:fingerscr

So please, any :goodvibes: and :pray: for George would be very appreciated!

growler~GateKeeper
August 11th, 2008, 12:01 AM
:goodvibes: :fingerscr for George - come home quick :pray:

Have they put out a box w/a slept in tshirt or his bed/blanket on the porch? or his litterbox? Sitting near by w/stinky catfood helps too, rattling the can/dish.

chico2
August 11th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Oh no Dahmer,I bet you feel frantic:goodvibes::pray:that George will find his way home:fingerscr

ancientgirl
August 11th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Oh no! I hope he finds his way to that trap.:fingerscr:pray: Please keep us updated.

Love4himies
August 11th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Oh poor George. Sending some :goodvibes: and more :goodvibes:.

JanM
August 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Poor George! :goodvibes::goodvibes: I pray he comes home soon!

14+kitties
August 11th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I have all of my fingers crossed and everything else that I can. This freaky weather isn't going to be helping any either! :frustrated:
Com'mon George! Come home!!! :goodvibes:

cpietra16
August 11th, 2008, 09:41 AM
good vibes...I'm sure he's not far and can probably see oyu very well...keep y\trying...:pray: that he comes home

krdahmer
August 11th, 2008, 10:39 AM
No luck yet... they haven't even seen him in a day or so, most likely because of the weather, but also because they had a huge party in a tent in the backyard yesturday for their little guy's first birthday, where she first told me about him being missing 2 days! I really wish she had called me sooner, I offered to sit out tonight and try to get him for them, as they have only sat out a couple of hours in three days with nothing outside that smells like his home!!!:frustrated: I'm just hoping that he hasn't gone too far looking for food or shelter, because the first two days, they didn't even leave food out!:headslap:

We've got all our paws crossed here that it's not too late! :pray:

ancientgirl
August 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Oh jeez! Why do people automatically think they don't need to look or leave food out? I really hope he makes his way home soon. Maybe he's waiting out the bad weather or found a dry spot.

14+kitties
August 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
How heartbreaking for you hon. I'm sorry. I really hope George finds his way home soon. This crappy weather isn't helping probably and there is more coming the next couple of days. I am keeping my :fingerscr for you. If you need help.......call!

hazelrunpack
August 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
:grouphug: I hope George makes it home soon! :goodvibes:

cpietra16
August 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Don't forget cats are territorial....he can't be far. He is near by, unless he's hurt, then he'll be in hiding until he doesn't feel like an easy victim to a predator. That's instinctive. He may have been taken in by a neighbour. I hop ethis turns out OK..good luck

Frenchy
August 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Go back home George. :fingerscr

ancientgirl
August 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Any news on George?:fingerscr

krdahmer
August 12th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately no, I tried calling last night but there was no answer and we had gotten another thunderstorm too.:sad: The weather has been nice today (:fingerscr he'll come back tonight) and I also called the humane society yesturday to leave word that he's missing with my friends #, because she hadn't yet.

I'm very frustrated, I cried most of the day yesturday... I've been praying a lot, and I just really can't go over and do all that they should be doing for them...I'm getting on a plane tomorrow morning! :frustrated: And people keep telling me he's not my cat.... but he was for a month and I took great care in choosing his home... and I had a sneaking feeling that something like this was bound to happen because their universe revolves around their son now.... which I understand to a certain extent.... but I mean two seconds to check and see if the door is actually shut behind you? :shrug: I'm just so unbelievably sad for George who is so sweet and shy and scared even when he is safe indoors! If it were one of mine I'd be putting out signs, calling every pet place I could think of, visiting the humane society, out all hours calling his name and having food out.... kid or no kid. And I have to buck up here and try to enjoy this vacation for hubby... it's our first since we were married 6 years ago...we both deserve it... but there in my mind is always George.:cry:

I will update as soon as I know something, but for now he's still out there....:pray: that God is watching over him.

ancientgirl
August 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I really hope and pray he comes back soon. I can't help think he's just somewhere hiding until he can muster the courage to go home. It is sad that people don't even take the time to make sure their cats aren't near the door. I used to keep my screen up to keep mine from getting out, but I've got it up for Czarina in the kitchen, but when I come home I make sure if Vlad comes to the door and walks to the hallway I have my eyes on him at all times, and if he wanders off a few feet, I call him. He usually comes back inside on his own but sometimes I have to get him, but he's never out of my sight.

I'd be just beside myself if one of them were to run off. But as you said, you can't do anything right now because you are going on a trip and it's not like it would be easy to cancel. I hope you hear good news soon!:goodvibes::goodvibes::fingerscr:fingerscr

phoozles
August 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Poor George :fingerscr :grouphug:

14+kitties
August 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM
What a tough spot for you to be in. It sucks. Especially right now when you are going to the wedding. I wish I knew Niagara Falls. I would be camped outside their door waiting. But he would run from a stranger. I am not so sure I would give him back to them either. :frustrated: How frustrating for you.

Is your friend doing anything to help George come home? Has she taken any suggestions? Have they got the trap set up properly baited with tuna or cat nip? Sorry for the questions but at least if you knew they were doing that much you could enjoy your vacation a little better.

Sending more :pray: :fingerscr: goodvibes: for George!!!

krdahmer
August 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I showed them how to use the trap, gave them tuna, salmon and a bag of temptations... and I'm sure they are being put to good use, her hubby is off this week so hopefully he's hanging outside and will be able to nab him. I did suggest putting out a blanket or something with the smells of his favorite spots so she said she'd do that and I left my cell so she can call me when they catch him. (I'll facebook someone-prob AG so she can update you guys here if there is any news) I think the big party tent is gone now too so that might also help. :fingerscr
What really got to me is that she didn't call me in a panick the moment they knew he was out.... she knows how good I am with cats, she knows he trusts me.... she knows ME!!! She should have known I'd be there in a flash and have helped them search but she waited until I was at her son's party to tell me.... in front of a bunch of people....2 days later....so I had to slink away and cry I was so angry for not knowing, when I had the time to do something.... that first night I would have sat out until he came back!!! I'm almost insulted that she didn't think to call me. And it hurt... both me and George. :sad:

ancientgirl
August 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM
That bothered me when you said she'd waited 2 days to say anything. Made me wonder how much they'd done to try getting him back. That first night was probably a crucial one in finding him.

Go ahead and send me a message on Face book when you hear something. I get alerts on my Yahoo page and I'll have my mail alert on.

chico2
August 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Dahmer,I did not want to say too much,since these people are your relations,but I think George might not be too much of a concern for them,but hopefully they'll do what you asked them to.
Did they even look up and down the street where they live???
He is most likely not far away,hovering in someones backyard.
Did you have him as a kitten???

chico2
August 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Dahmer,I just read one of your first posts,what do you mean taking a plane??
Where do they live??? Or is it you and hubby that's away??
I sooo understand you,just the fact George is missing,is enough to make you cry.
A neighbor(since moved)lost her indoor girl-kitty,I had never met the cat,but I had to look for her every day,the owner spent most of her time sitting in her backyard.
She was found 3 houses up the street,2 weeks later,a lady had been feeding her,but eventually called HS and she was micro-chipped:thumbs up
:goodvibes::goodvibes:for you and poor george:goodvibes::goodvibes:

krdahmer
August 12th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Did they even look up and down the street where they live???
He is most likely not far away,hovering in someones backyard.
Did you have him as a kitten???

Um... no... and when I suggested it and knocking on doors she said she wouldn't because most of the neighbours are loogans.:frustrated: Ya they may be low lifes but they do have eyes!!! And yes he was Fagan's litter mate, one of the first rescues I had. She actually lives just down the street from the building I was in while caring for all those strays. I think if he's not back by the time I am, I'll go see if he's tried to get back in with his mom and her crew there. (they have a big cozy shed for shelter... and some people put food out for them there)

Dahmer,I just read one of your first posts,what do you mean taking a plane??
Where do they live??? Or is it you and hubby that's away??
I sooo understand you,just the fact George is missing,is enough to make you cry.
A neighbor(since moved)lost her indoor girl-kitty,I had never met the cat,but I had to look for her every day,the owner spent most of her time sitting in her backyard.
She was found 3 houses up the street,2 weeks later,a lady had been feeding her,but eventually called HS and she was micro-chipped:thumbs up
:goodvibes::goodvibes:for you and poor george:goodvibes::goodvibes:

It's us, we are headed out west for a wedding... just a few days, the folks are coming to kitty sit for us. :thumbs up

And I managed not to cry too much today... I'm working on the faith thing... hubby keeps telling me that God answers prayers in his time, so I have to be patient. (which is not one of my stronger qualities :rolleyes:)

14+kitties
August 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM
kr - how many days are you gone for? Five if I remember right, right? PM me the address for your friend and I will see if I can go and do some hunting. IF I can and find George he will be coming back here, not to your friend. Not promising anything but I will try.

ancientgirl
August 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Oh 14+ I hope you can find him!!!!

Winston
August 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Theres our kitty :angel: hard at it again! Sending good vibes and positive thoughts your way guys!

Cindy

chico2
August 13th, 2008, 06:40 AM
14+,with all you have on your plate,you still can find time for a lost little kitty,you are truly remarkable:angel2:
What I did,I knocked on doors if someone was home I asked permission to go in their backyard,if not and there was no big dog,I would go in anyway,just for a minute to check..
I have no idea how you would catch him,but you do have kitty-magic:cat:

14+kitties
August 13th, 2008, 06:48 AM
No angel Chico. Just trying to help a friend/kitty.
Unfortunately kr feels it may cause problems with her friend if I showed up, and I agree to an extent. Her friend's hubby is supposed to be out with the trap and calling/watching/everything else he should have done the first day. :fingerscr that George responds.
If he hasn't come home by the time kr returns that she will be going out and I will join her when I can.
I think George needs all the :pray:ers we can give him. Poor baby.

Love4himies
August 13th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Oh 14+, what a wonderful heart you have. :angel:

My parents neighbour lost their indoor only kitty for 5 days, it was hiding under my parents deck and was too afraid to come out except early mornings (mom saw it one morning)

ancientgirl
August 13th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Hopefully George is only a few feet away too! I'd read a good article a while ago and it stated when an indoor cat gets out they get incredibly disoriented. Even if you go toward them they run because the outside world is so confusing to them.

Not long ago, I had Kiska on the harness, and took her outside. I had to take her inside within seconds. She started running and pacing and meowing and I could see she was very confused. When I walked towards her she tried to run and when I picked her up she felt really tense.

No doubt poor George is just as confused. Hopefully K's friends hubby is casing not only the neighborhood but places close to their own home. If they have a garage maybe they should look in there.

cpietra16
August 13th, 2008, 08:38 AM
When Nicki went missing for a week I found her in the bushes down near the river ( right across the house) I found her at 5:00am early morning calling her name. Something that I did for a whole week. That day she finally cried out letting me know she was close by. It turned out she was in hiding because of injuries to her body. Cats will hide so they don't fall prey to predators, when injured or unsure of their surroundings.
Good Luck ..I hope this story ends well...:pray:

rainbow
August 16th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I just seen this thread now. :o

Poor George :sad: And, hugs for you too :grouphug: .....I hope you find that he's been found and safe at home when you get back. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
August 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I just got a message on my Facebook from krdahmer, no word yet from George.:sad:

14+kitties
August 19th, 2008, 09:29 AM
kr - you are home today. Give me a call and we can arrange a time to go hunting. :fingerscr

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I really hope you guys have some luck!:pray:

14+kitties
August 19th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Me too. He's been out a long time. :sad: Makes me cry just thinking about him.

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I get the feeling maybe someone found him. It would be obvious for anyone who saw him he was an indoor kitty I think.

14+kitties
August 19th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Yes, I have had the same feeling. I am hoping if someone found him they will either keep him or turn him in to a shelter. Hopefully that is one place the owners have gone to check. :fingerscr We won't know until kr comes back and gives us more info.

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM
It stinks not knowing.

krdahmer
August 19th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I just talked to her husband.... they've decided he's gone. :frustrated::yell: They have even stopped putting out the trap as they caught another cat and a racoon.

I have to take Buddy to the vets for 3pm for his lump which is not going away:needhug: and see if we are going to try and remove it.

14+kitties
August 19th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Welcome back hon. Sorry it isn't a better homecoming. :grouphug: Sorry about Buddy's lump. :sad: Hopefully it turns out to be not serious.

I am going out for an appt and will be gone for a while. Give me a shout after you come back from vets. Hopefully HS has George and you can bring him home. :fingerscr I don't think you will be talking to your friends for a while.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: :grouphug::grouphug:

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I'm sorry, I had a feeling they weren't putting much effort into looking for him. I hope you have better luck, especially since you will be calling HS and the city.

Good luck with Buddy. I'm sure it's nothing serious.

I wish I was closer so I could help. I fell really helpless and wish there was something more I could do.

:grouphug::grouphug::pray::pray:

krdahmer
August 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I called the HS, they have two orange tabbies, I am going to try to swing it checking them out after Buddy's appt, but it'll be tight as they close at 4:30 and are in chippawa. If not I'll be there at 8:30 tomorrow with bells on. I think we'll have to canvas tomorrow if thats ok... that way tonight I can go get signs made up to put in mail boxes around her area with my numbers on them at Staples. I only have 2 pics of George but they'll have to do.

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I hope one of those tabbies is George! Did they tell you when they were brought in? Does it sound like the right time line and area?

I can't fathom why they just would not have tried harder. It looks like George wasn't as big a part of their family as you might have hoped. I'm sorry.

I'm going to keep thinking positive so that you can find him.

Love4himies
August 19th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Oh no, how disappointing that they didn't look very hard for him.:sad:

:fingerscr:goodvibes: for Buddy.

krdahmer
August 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
ok... the vet office called, they had an emergency so Buddy's appt is Thurs. morning now, so I am off to the HS. Hope one of those guys is George :fingerscr:pray: And then I will be at Staples making signs if it's not George.

Will update as soon as I get back. Oh and thanks everyone for caring and sending all those prayers and :goodvibes: I really appreciate it.

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Good luck! Come home with George!

14+kitties
August 19th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Let me know when you need me tomorrow. You will have to either phone or PM me your info so I can get hubby to get me there. I don't know Niagara at all. I need a GPS!
I am really hoping you DON'T need me though. Cross fingers one of those kitties is George!!!! :goodvibes:

cpietra16
August 19th, 2008, 03:21 PM
any news yet??? I hope one of them is George:pray:
have you ever wondered why the people that really want to find their cats and do everything in their power to find them, are always the ones that never find them, and the poor lost souls that are just hoping to be picked up once they are found never have anyone lookin for them.....:shrug::yell:

krdahmer
August 19th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Ya isn't that sad. Well neither was George :sad: but he now has a team (thanks 14+) looking and canvassing the neighbourhood for him tomorrow!! (my trip really couldn't have had worse timing for poor George)

Oh and I tried not to notice... but there were so many beautiful little kitties at the HS.... all looking so sad and lost.... :cry: I couldn't see the dogs... but could hear there were plenty of those too. I left one of my flyers with the lady at the desk, she said they'll keep an eye out for him as there are pictures on the flyer to help identify him, no matter how he comes in to them.

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry, I'd hoped one of those guys were George.

I just know you'll have better luck now that you are looking with 14+ and have flyers.

rainbow
August 19th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that George is still missing. :sad:

14+kitties, that is so nice of you to offer to help look for George :angel: and, krdahmer, I am so sorry your friends didn't put any effort into looking for him. :sad: Some people really shouldn't have pets if they don't give a rat's @ss about them if they happen to go missing. :frustrated: :wall: I sure hope they don't go out and get another. :mad:

I wish you lots of luck in locating George :fingerscr :goodvibes: and good luck for Buddy tomorrow. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

And big hugs for you. :grouphug: :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
August 19th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Add me to the list of everyone praying you find George. :pray: Come on little dude, follow the light to krdahmer's heart!

krdahmer
August 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM
They have another... she also got out the same day, his parents found her howling under a car nearby though and managed to nab her.

growler~GateKeeper
August 20th, 2008, 12:32 AM
:fingerscr :goodvibes: for finding & catching George :goodvibes:

and :goodvibes: for Buddy too :goodvibes:

:grouphug: for you

Love4himies
August 20th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I am so sorry one of them were not George. Some people think pets are disposable :sad:

14+ you are an :angel: for caring so much and helping.

Good luck in your search, I hope you find him.

chico2
August 20th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Dahmer:fingerscr:goodvibes:for Buddy:fingerscr

I am soo disappointed a good friend of yours could care so little about George,I was hoping he'd be found by now.:cry:
They say,"he's gone,that's it!!"no lost animal is ever gone off the face of the earth,they are all out there somewhere,waiting to be found,unless something disasterous has happened.
:pray:someone has George,sees your poster and calls,but if he is in a wonderful home:fingerscrI would let him stay there,at least you would know he's happy.
Sorry,getting ahead of myself,but that's what I am hoping happened to sweet George,I think your friend has lost the priviledge of Georges love.

:goodvibes::goodvibes:To you,14+ and George:goodvibes::goodvibes:

ancientgirl
August 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Any new developments? Have you guys started looking?

babymomma
August 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
:goodvibes: For The poor kitty!!!! I hope hes found soon!

krdahmer
August 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Ok some good news, while we were handing out flyers my friend pulled into her driveway and had seen George last night, but again he ran from her.... she tried going out and calling his name, but with no luck, so they put the trap back out late last night. Me and Gerri (14+) repositioned it and covered it with a blanket from the couch he sleeps on and put in his regular dry food as the stinky fishy stuff doesn't seem to be interesting him at all. (although the other big orange fluffy cat and a baby racoon liked it). I have also already got two calls from people saying they've seen him (but that's not all that helpful seeing as we also found out that someone in the old apartment complex of mine has a similar orange cat that she has thrown outside because he sprays :wall::frustrated: and there is the other neighbourhood orange fluffy cat) but the two call came from the other side of the street closer to the apartment complex where this other now outdoor cat is.

I am hopeful that because he is still near home, the smell of his couch and his food might entice him into that trap, and I tried to convince my friend to sit out after the baby goes to bed. I think one of the problems is that there is too much action around there, always one on the way to work, toting the baby around... noisy neighbours etc. Hopefully if all is quiet and someone talks soothingly to him, he might just venture out.

And I have no doubt he has been not 10 feet from the house this whole time.... the neighbour with the jungle for a backyard also has half a junkyard back there too and two sheds one of which a kitty could squeeze under.

So again I have all my fingers and the kittys all their paws crossed that tonight is the night!!

All in all it was an ok day.... feel like I've done some good... got some exersise, had a nice lunch after with Gerri at Betty's , got to see TT and Mittens and Sam and Keesha:lovestruck:... and got to visit with my brother and nephew! (Oh and 14+, I did go back this evening and talk to the back neighbours in the crescent also... just the ones right behind her house as they had a shed too... and surprise they were also 'cat people')

So thank you again Gerri for your help!! :thankyou::2huggers:

ancientgirl
August 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Thank goodness at least he's near home. I hope and pray he gets into that trap this evening.

If your friend gets him in the trap, do you think she will be more careful with him? I'd be a little afraid of this happeningn all over again. :sad:

14+kitties
August 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Don't think I was much of a help hon. All I did was walk down a street putting flyers up. But I have alll my fingers crossed he will come home tonight. I still think the best thing she could do is to put the other cat in the bedroom, open the side door a little and he would likely stroll in like nothing happened. Not gonna happen, I know. :rolleyes:
Thank you for the great day. I think we were productive. At least we know George is still alive and kicking. Let's hope he stays that way. :goodvibes: And lunch was fantastic! I have told hubby we need to go there sometime. But not on a Friday night!
The pics I took did not come out worth a darn so if you want to start a Niagara thread go for it. I know a certain french person who would love it!
And I thought it was more than an ok day tyvm! I got to meet all of kr's wonderful kitties! I even got to pet the elusive Asker. :cloud9: They are all so so so sweet!!! And BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lovestruck::lovestruck:

krdahmer
August 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Ya lol... Gerri got to pet both Asker AND Smoke:eek:.... that is UNHEARD OF!! (They must have sniffed the friendly cat lady vibes you were emitting!!! ;) )

14+kitties
August 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Yep, but don't mention I also got swatted at when they had enough of that petting! :)

hazelrunpack
August 20th, 2008, 10:43 PM
:fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr for George being caught tonight! What a relief that he's actually been seen, though, and still so close to home! :thumbs up

Good luck tonight!

rainbow
August 21st, 2008, 01:52 AM
Woo Hoo.....so glad to hear that George is close to home. :thumbs up

Good luck with the trapping tonight. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 21st, 2008, 07:11 AM
:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:goodvibes::goodvibe s::pray:

I am so glad he is still around!

Did you say your friend saw her cat, but couldn't get him? I would think that cat would be so hungry that he would run up to her so he could come home.

chico2
August 21st, 2008, 07:15 AM
Dahmer and 14+,you girls really,really are the best:cat::thumbs up
:fingerscr:pray:your efforts will work:goodvibes:

ancientgirl
August 21st, 2008, 08:06 AM
What's the news? I hope it's good!!!:pray:

14+kitties
August 21st, 2008, 09:09 AM
Yes, was just going to ask myself.........any news? :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes:

If not, let me know and maybe we can do a night one this week. Tonight or tomorrow. I start work on Monday so time will be minimized then.

krdahmer
August 21st, 2008, 11:13 AM
I'll be camped out tonight, both of them are working and there is no good news. I had to go over this morning to let out a skunk that spent almost 8 hours stuck in the trap because they were scared to let it out.:frustrated: I let it out in a matter of minutes and there was not one spray.:thumbs up Cute little wiggly bum too. But I was very disappointed when I saw them on caller id and it was not to say George was home. They didn't say but I imagine they didn't sit out for long either. I got a call late last night about 9 saying they(a neighbour) saw him out front a couple doors down while out walking 20 minutes before. And while I was out talking to him about the skunk, the lady 2 doors the other direction said the big fluffy orange one had come around the last couple of days with a new orange friend (:fingerscr it's George... because that cat is outside and knows where to find food), that neighbour said she sometimes feeds the fluffy one scraps.... so I may camp out in her yard too for a bit.

So I am going for about 8pm with treats and wet food. Maybe a carrier too cause the trap seems to be catching everything but George. I'll walk through the yards and see if I can find where he hides.

I did also notice what looked like digging marks in their front flower bed.... so he may still be pooping at home. I got them to just put food and water out today without the trap to make sure he gets something. And tried again to convince them to leave the door open a bit, but they don't want bugs or other animals in the house... I mean a few bugs to swat if George waltzes back in to me should be worth it.... and what wild animal is gonna jump into someones house... it's quite a step up.

Anyhow, I'm still frustrated and sad and getting a bit depressed here... it's so frustrating that he's right there but is terrified of his own family! I just think maybe i'll have more luck, I mean I did get completely feral cats to trust me.... how hard could one scared indoor one be? :shrug:

Oh and Buddy is having his lump removed Sept. 9, we haven't decided (the vets and I) if it needs to be sent out for testing... but I imagine I will just to be safe. And the vet said she wanted to clean his teeth....until I told her that she just did in January... but his gums are red around his teeth again, and it's only been a week since I used the gel. I might have to give brushing them a try again... but last time both my hands and his gums ended up bloody!

ancientgirl
August 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Man this is frustrating! I want you to find him so badly!

I think camping out tonight is a good idea as well as the carrier. He's a smart guy though, to be the only one not actually getting in the trap.

WHEN you do get hold of him, are you going to give him back to your friend? I wonder if he might be safer from suffering the same fate again if he were in another home.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Buddy's bump is nothing. I have to get Czarina's teeth cleaned in a couple of months too. I've got to save some cash up for that one. What kind of gel do you put on Buddy's teeth? Is it Biotin or something else?

phoozles
August 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that you'll nab George tonight. The great news is that you know he's alive and kicking AND nearby, so now it's just a waiting game.
Good luck - can't wait to find out what happens!

14+kitties
August 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM
You are stuck between a rock and a hard place for sure my dear. I got the feeling yesterday that your friend really wasn't too worried. If it was me, or you, we would be sitting out there waiting to catch sight of him. I just don't get it. :shrug:
It is probably best if you are out there by yourself. He knows you and hopefully he will come to you. Maybe he will even bring his new friend! :D

I have my :fingerscr that Buddy's lump is just a lump. He is such a sweetie. :cloud9: Well, they all are!

sugarcatmom
August 21st, 2008, 01:31 PM
Good luck on your George-quest tonight! If you're there at dusk or towards nighttime, take a flashlight with you and scan it around to see if it picks up any eye-shine. I find that to be the best way to look for critters.

krdahmer
August 21st, 2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys... I'm getting rested up so that I can stay out a long time!!! I'm stubborn though, I won't leave until I see him at least with my own eyes. I have a flashlight in my purse, so I'll have that too. I'm hoping this big orange cat is as bold as it seems and will come up to me and show George I'm not scary.

As for what to do, I don't think I really have a choice, it was a mistake and although they didn't do all that I would have done, not all people are as dedicated to their pets. I will however offer to take him if they feel it will be too much to be viligent about his whereabouts. But all of that is premature anyhow as we have to nab him first. My primary concern is just to get him safe, wherever that is for now. :cry: I'm gonna try to pull myself together here and have a bit of a snooze so that I am rested and positive to send George :goodvibes: to come to me tonight! :fingerscr :pray:

ancientgirl
August 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hey, no crying, he's out there and he's okay. You know he's been seen and from the likes of it, he's got himself a buddy so he's not alone. You'll get him, it's just a matter of time that's all.:D

krdahmer
August 21st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Ya it's the time and patience part I don't do well with though... :rolleyes::o

14+kitties
August 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM
You know where I am if you need back up. :grouphug: :thumbs up :goodvibes::fingerscr :pray:

krdahmer
August 21st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Aw thanks 14!!! I'm just gonna sit quietly back there by myself and hope he remembers that I'm the nice lady that rescued him as a kitten... :fingerscr

I feel optomistic because he has always come out to see me when I'm at her house for pets and lovin... so maybe he will outside too! :pray:

rainbow
August 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Oh how frustrating this is and I just can't believe how nonchalant your friend is about all this. :frustrated:

And tried again to convince them to leave the door open a bit, but they don't want bugs or other animals in the house... I mean a few bugs to swat if George waltzes back in to me should be worth it.... and what wild animal is gonna jump into someones house... it's quite a step up.

That part really floored me. :wall:

I know you will catch George and I really hope it's tonight......GOOD LUCK. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
August 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Oh and I know this is probably terrible of me but today when I was there for the skunk I went in for a bit to cool off, and her little guy was all excited to see me and playing and smiling at me and whatnot... and I was well just kind of annoyed at him. He's the excuse they have for not looking and searching those first nights... and I was just kind of irritated to just be around him. I know he's only a year and has no idea what has happened.... but I couldn't help be almost sickened by how they fawn over him. And that with him around it's easy for them to just forget George... that is just so very sad to me.

rainbow
August 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
I really hope that when you catch George that they will give him up to you. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
August 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Dahmer you are not wrong in feeling that way,right now your focus is finding George and I:pray:you do:goodvibes::goodvibes:
Babies of course are very important,but the family also includes little defenseless 4-legged ones,they cannot fend for themselves out there:yell:
I just wish you did not have to give George back,if and when you find him:sad:
I'll be thinking of you and hoping for good news tonight:pray:

krdahmer
August 21st, 2008, 08:05 PM
Sort of good news I guess....:cry::yell: I sat for about 10 minutes and noticed little movements in the hedges... sure enough was George watching me, and we started talking (I talked to him and meowed... he meowed back) then he finally came out looking like he was going to come right up to me! But then he stopped and ate a few of the kibble that fell through the skunk trap from earlier... I threw him some treats and he even came so close as to roll around in the catnip I had put about 3 feet from me, but as soon as I moved he retreated to the hedge, so I went and laid down by the hedge and continued to talk to him and got a meow or two back, then he emerged from another spot and headed toward the front of the house, I got up and followed quite a ways back to see where he went.... he took off across the street and under a bigger thicker hedge, and when I tried to peer into it he took off across the next lawn where a little girl was... I told her to catch him if she could. No luck, and even though we kept searching he was long gone. The girl said that she had seen him twice and once he even came up to her (a little girl was who caught him as a kitten in the first place), so I talked to her and her mom who said they had gotten the flyer and would return him or call if they can catch him. I just really hope that by following him I didn't scare him away from his home. I reset the trap and had to come home as I was being eaten alive in their yard. (I sprayed myself with feliway not bug spray)

I am even more frustrated and sad now... he was so close. And I know that if it had of been her sitting out there he probably would have come right up to her. :frustrated::sad: :cry:

I think it will be a two person job, or she will have to actually sit her a** down and try herself instead of sending out her hubby to do it. I mean I wasn't there an hour, have seen him maybe 20 times his whole life and he almost came to me!

I am going to canvass the next street over tomorrow, as it seems he is going a lot further than we originally thought. I just want him home safe!!! :yell:

:needhug: The good news is that he seems ok, I didn't see any marks and he doesn't look emmaciated or anything, so he is eating something.

Thanks again for your support guys. Right now I need it... and hubby is being so great he happened to be home tonight as there was no work and he is under the weather, when he heard me come in sobbing he jumped up to give me a hug and shoulder to blubber on. :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
August 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry, but I think your friend needs to woman up and get out there and deal with this situation.

I get that she's got a small child, but she also has a responsibility to George. When she took him in she became his care taker and if she's no longer interested in making sure he's safe then she needs to get him and find him a home with someone who has time for him.

I know she's your friend, and I'm sorry, but this is really making me angry. She should be embarrassed that everyone else is more concerned with the safety and safe return of her cat than she is.

krdahmer
August 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
Ya exactly... and I'm to the point where I am no longer sugar coating the fact that he is in real danger.... I said as much to his mother (who was babysitting tonight), they all seem to be under the impression that he's ok now, so he'll be fine if they can't catch him. NOT SO! Especially now that I know he is darting back and forth across that deadly street!!! :yell: :cry:

I'm just so upset tonight, I feel like I was so close.... and I am just so sad, he seemed so excited that I was there talking to him, and almost disappointed when he came out and it wasn't her. You could almost see it in his eyes, like he's just been waiting there every night for someone to care. :sad: I need to go watch tv or something.... I'm really doing a number on myself obsessing over this. There is nothing I can do now, I'll just have to be more patient tomorrow and not move... just keep going until he comes to me. And keep praying, maybe that little girl can nab him. :pray:

George please please please come home. :godvibes:

hazelrunpack
August 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM
Stay strong and positive, kr! Patience, girl. I've got a really good feeling about George! :goodvibes: :grouphug:

ancientgirl
August 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Relax, and just take a deep breath. You'll find him, he's there and he almost came to you. I think eventually, with some patience you will get him.

I think it's nice you have the girl looking out for him too.

I have no doubt you will get him soon.

Frenchy
August 21st, 2008, 09:13 PM
ahhh darn , you were so close ! Next time it might just work :fingerscr

14+kitties
August 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM
:grouphug: I don't know what to say hon. I really don't. If she won't go out with you call me. I don't know if between the two of us we can get him but at least we can do better than she is. Do you have any sardines in the house? Or maybe she can get some. Heaven knows she hasn't done/spent anything else to help him. She won't even leave the bloody door open! Sorry, I am a little ticked.

You have spent the money to get the flyers made up. You have gone and canvassed the area. You have gone and sat outside getting eaten alive by skitters. You have had to go over and release a skunk from the trap because they wouldn't. What's she done? Sat her fat a** in her house 3 feet away and done nothing!

Ok, now that I've vented.....please, if you need help, call! You know I will be there! I am just totally peeved with her right now! :grouphug:

chico2
August 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Dahmer,I agree with 14+ and I think you are really good at keeping your cool,I would be blasting out this woman,friend or not.
However you cannot make someone care that does not:yell:
She is not much of a friend if she does not realize you are in distress and need her support and help to catch HER cat.
I am pretty sure he went back to his area once you had left and I am equally sure you will get him,I know giving up on him is not an option for anyone who loves cats,unlike your friend.
:goodvibes::grouphug::lovestruck::cat::cat::pray:f or you and George:fingerscr

cpietra16
August 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
just remember that the good news is that you saw him.....at least he's alive and well.

Just a thought....I have a cat who will not readily come to me, but will go right up to my dog...Is george like that? Will he come close to another cat, let's sy his sibling? or another pet?...
Cats can be so skittish with people, especially when they know you are tryin to catch the.

Good luck...you are so close ....:pray:that today will bring good news.

Just keep your cool...cats feel the stress and tention. THey won't come near you if they know you are up to something.

14+kitties
August 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
just remember that the good news is that you saw him.....at least he's alive and well.

Just a thought....I have a cat who will not readily come to me, but will go right up to my dog...Is george like that? Will he come close to another cat, let's sy his sibling? or another pet?...
Cats can be so skittish with people, especially when they know you are tryin to catch the.

Just keep your cool...cats feel the stress and tention. THey won't come near you if they know you are up to something.

I mentioned putting the other one in the house in a carrier and putting her outside too. Or putting her out on a leash. I thought maybe George would come to see her. But kr doesn't think the owner will go for that. That's too bad.
At this point I really feel George will be better off with you hon. But let's get him caught first. And you WILL!!!!! I know it!!! :thumbs up :pray: :goodvibes: :fingerscr

lotus
August 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
How did the camp out go? I hope you were able to catch him.

Love4himies
August 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
:2huggers:

Yes sounds like you will need somebody waiting behind where he hides to capture him if he won't come to you.

I think you made a good step last night by befriending him, next time he will trust you that much more.

krdahmer
August 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM

I had asked that yesturday, saying I could have brought a leash and taken out Libby... the answer was 'no way, I don't want her getting used to being outside' -the hubby's response. :frustrated: As if one trip out on a leash makes a difference if you are watching to make sure they don't get out.... I'm upset that he doesn't feel the least bit responsible, he's the one that left the damn door open in the first place!!!

I think George did realize I was frustrated, I tried to stay calm but when he was so close I was almost jumping out of my skin with anticipation... I'm gonna try to stay calm and cool tonight. And use more catnip, he really rolled in that and almost relaxed for a few minutes.

I have errands to do today, then will canvas the other street and sit out during the same hour or so. Tomorrow I have to get some stuff done so I am going to beg my friend to sit out tomorrow after work, tonight they both work late so it's up to me. She gets off at 6 tomorrow so if she sits out when I saw him, if I don't get him tonight, I bet she could get him. I really think she is concerned but hubby keeps reassuring her he's ok... not doing George any favors at all. :sad:

:pray: :fingerscr that I can keep my cool and tonight will be the night!

14+kitties
August 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes: and whatever else it takes to get George. Whether he goes back to your friend or back to your house! The poor little fella has been out long enough. It's time to get him home.
Did hubby go back to work today? If George knows him maybe he would help. He sounds like such a sweetie.
You still have my number!
Again - good luck hon. I really hope you get him!!

ancientgirl
August 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Good luck tonight! Hopefully you won't need to do this again tomorrow. :fingerscr:fingerscr:goodvibes::goodvibes:

rainbow
August 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Good luck krd......I hope tonight's the night you are rewarded for all your efforts. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

phoozles
August 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
So close! Good luck tonight! :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
August 22nd, 2008, 09:15 PM
ARGGGGHH!!!! :yell: :cry:

I sat out for about a whole 5 minutes shaking treats when the cutest little orange and white kitten comes out of the bush next door as sweet and friendly as can be. I assumed this was Tigger (the apartment complex lady's 'sprayer')... I swear no more than 6-8 months old!!! So I put him in the carrier I had and drove him down to her apartment and gave him back, only to talk to her again and find out that this little guy is outdoors most of the day, and that her other female cat that she mentioned to Gerri and I was infact only two years old and also unfixed!!! :wall::wall::yell: She just had a litter of kittens as well. So she got a lot of info on why that is aweful and how to get help getting them fixed and why whoever told her that they continue to spray after being fixed was the exception to the rule as none of mine spray and neither did any of my rescues who all started wild outdoors! As well as a myriad of tricks to keep them indoors. Anyhow I feel like I did some good there and told her to call me on the flyer numbers if she needed help getting help for hers.

I sat out over an hour with no sight of George so decided to go flyer the other street (a great workout I might add as there are a lot of italians in that area with their 20 steps to the door!!) and when I got back I moved the van onto the street, and who do I see on the lawn in my headlights... but Mr. George!!! :frustrated: I of course had already scared him with the headlights so I went through the front bush and forced him to run back into the back yard... but even though I sat down again he was not coming, so I took the blanket (which may smell like the other animals) off the trap and left it with his food in it and went inside. Her mom was great, she has sat out too with her sister to see if they could get him with no luck and she gave me a hug when she saw how upset I was and of course I blubbered.... and got the baby started too. :sad: Maybe if my friend finds out how upset I am she'll try tomorrow night :fingerscr

At least I go to bed again knowing he's still there, and ok. Tomorrow I am taking the day off, might swim with my brother and nephew... but I'll be back on the case Sunday! Thanks again you guys for all the support.... I'm starting to get more positive too and it's definitely because of this place! (and it was nice to get a thank you from at least her mom tonight for all I've been doing.... I mean I'm not doing it for anyone but George... but the thanks was nice anyhow.)

If anything happens tomorrow or sunday I'll let you guys know asap!:grouphug:

Frenchy
August 22nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
I'm so sorry you couldn't get him tonight :sad: but it's good that he's hanging around :thumbs up

With all your hard work :angel:, it has to work out ! :fingerscr

aslan
August 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
aaaaw i was so hoping for you and george he'd come to his senses. Personally at this point i don't think you should give him back if you get him.:2cents:

14+kitties
August 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
So what did you do with the kitty you put in the carrier hon? Did he belong to the woman we saw at the apartment complex?
Poor George has to be so confused as to why he can't get in his house. :sad: I don't know. 5 minutes with the flippin' door open and I bet he would be inside!
I guess you don't know if they plan on sitting out tomorrow night? Why am I even asking? :frustrated: Dang!
You deserve a day off. Enjoy the day with your bro and nephew. If you feel like it come on up and see the new kittens if you are going to be at your bros. I should be home.
:grouphug: to you. I know how frustrating this all is. We feel your pain. :goodvibes:

chico2
August 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Dahmer:grouphug:
It's strange,that he hangs around the familiar area,but does not go to his door,or maybe he does,but nobody lets him in:shrug:
Like 14+says,if they left the door open a smidge,he very well might go inside.
Unless he's afraid too...
Enjoy your swim,it's going to be a nice day,rain tomorrow I heard:sad:

I am glad you gave that woman a lesson in kitty-ethics,hopefully some of it stuck:fingerscr

ancientgirl
August 23rd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Poop! I get so excited when I see you updated, then see he got away. But I know you'll get him. At least hes in the same area, and I think the more he sees you the more bold he might get and the day will come where he will approach you with no problem.

I think taking Saturday off is a good idea, that way seeing you might make him even more curious.

Out of respect for you, I'll reserve my comment on your friends absence last night.

krdahmer
August 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
In her defense.. she was at work... tonight she gets off at 6, and I asked her mom to talk her into sitting out when I did last night, as he is out there every night in those bushes and along the side of the house... just waiting for a familiar face! :sad:

ancientgirl
August 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
I hope she listens to her mom. I think if he could SEE her he'd feel less afraid. No doubt he not only would recognize her face but her scent.

rainbow
August 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
I hope she listens to her mom too cuz she sure hasn't done anything to help poor George so far. :frustrated:

Enjoy your swim today krd ......you deserve a break. :angel: :grouphug:

Hopefully you will get good news later tonight. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Soter
August 23rd, 2008, 03:13 PM
xtra prayers going from me!!

krdahmer
August 23rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Ugh and I thought I would take a day off!! This morning I got a call from a guy (who was out washing his car when I was delivering flyers with Gerri and is a cat man) who said he thought George was in his yard this morning. Just called to let us know he was nearby. So I go on with my day finally getting around to some much needed cleaning (after 2 weeks of no vacuuming I was starting to get hairballs!!) and showered and then went to petsmart for litter and of course a few toys (they were on sale... and I was still feeling guilty for being away) and a few things from zellers too. Then on the way back I thought I heard my phone beep, sure enough that man's number was showing and there was a message. He said he thought he had caught George and for lack of a better place, had locked him in his car. Well lets just say there was plenty of speeding from the skyway to his house. When I pulled up, the little girl and her mom were chasing the apartment lady's cat (see my talk did wonders :wall:) all over the front lawns and street. My friends mom was out to see if that was George and informed me that that was the cat the man had had in his car...:sad: DAMNIT!!! :frustrated: My friend came out and said she went running down when the man came to the door and although that cat wasn't George, George was right beside the next door's shed lounging, and she called to him but he ran... so I explained for about the hundredth time that they have to get low, even sit down and talk quietly and let him come to them... if they go walking at him and talking excitedly he'll run every time. And of course it was 8pm and no one was sitting outside... they were eating chinese food. Sooooo... guess who sat outside? Yup me, well and her mom stood out for a bit too. So much for a day off and man do I need afterbite.... I got eaten alive, there are bites on my toes, knuckles, eyebrow, rear end... and itchy as all get out!:yell:

I put some more treats in the trap... and right now I think that's our best bet, although he hasn't gone near it yet.... maybe if we can go a while without wild critters getting in it, he might venture in for food.

George... the trap is your friend... be not affraid.... and please please please venture in for us!!!! :fingerscr :pray: :pray: (Maybe they'll have a nice surprise after church tomorrow!)

ancientgirl
August 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
oh man! So close! It's just got to happen soon. He's inching closer and closer. I know you're going to get him soon.

:fingerscr:goodvibes::fingerscr:goodvibes:

14+kitties
August 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
George - go home sweetie! I am so sorry kr! But it is nice to know the neighbour at least is looking out for him. Hopefully soon one of you will have success. Your friend needs to come out and sit with you. Maybe if the two of you are just sitting talking quietly together he may come out and visit. If she doesn't move fast and just reaches out like she's going to pet him he may settle enough to get him.
It sounds like he is getting used to being outside. I wonder where he's getting food? Did you try putting some fresh catnip in the trap? That might get him interested in going in it.
As for the one from the apartment, I agree. :wall: That kitten will never be an indoor cat. I don't think she will clean her place well enough for him to stop spraying. And I sure can't see her getting him fixed. :wall: As badger says...you can only do what you can. :grouphug:

rainbow
August 23rd, 2008, 11:46 PM
DARN.....this is so frustrating. :frustrated:

Your luck has to change soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

George please allow yourself to be caught. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
August 24th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Aww Dahmer,I thought you would have a relaxing day by the pool:sad:
I too was wondering where he gets his food,maybe someone else is feeding him?
He is getting used to being outside,not a good thing,but the coming colder weather might make him want to be inside,if your friends want him inside:shrug:
But first you have to catch him:fingerscr
He's lucky he has you on his side,you alerted the neighborhood..hope you don't catch any wild creatures again:fingerscr

I woke this morning at 5am to the horrific screams of fighting cats outside:yell:it just sends shivers down my spine.
I don't know how people can sleep,while their cats are out there facing Dog knows what:yell:

krdahmer
August 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Ya I had a conversation with my mom today, and she was saying how when you have a kid your priorities shift (using my brother and sil as an example).... well ya I understand that they do shift, but it doesn't mean your responsibilities suddenly disappear and your pets become disposable overnight!!! :mad: That is what is so frustrating to me, last night she had no excuse. She got off work at a decent time, her son was already ready for bed thanks to her mom, and all she had to do was sit out a 1/2 hour... I mean shouldn't a cat you've loved and cared for who loved you for 4 years be worth at least a 1/2 hour of your time??? The longer this goes on and the more stubborn they are getting the less and less I think they deserve or should have pets at all. It's terrible for the pets, but I really think that when some people have kids they do need to make the choice between pets or kids, because some are just not responsible enough to have both. :sad: And if the choice is between well here ya go fend for yourself or here is a nice new home... I'm sure the pets would prefer the latter too.

It's just so sad to me that they aren't desperate to get George back... and with all their time wrapped up in the kid, they don't even seem concerned that poor George is out there fending for him self, like today in this storm again. So many of you have both and don't treat your pets like second class to your kids.... they're part of the family. Period. That's the way it should be.

Oh and I caught hubby's cold, so maybe it's good that it's rainy and i have to stay in, I need some rest.

chico2
August 24th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Dahmer,I can feel your frustration and it makes me really angry at your friend,a real friend does not do this to another,she knows how you feel:yell:
Unfortunately not everyone loves their pets like we do,often times they are just a prelude to the "real"thing and the animals suffer,don't understand,why noone loves them anymore:cry:
I wish there was somebody else to take George after you get him,I have a feeling a week later he'll be out the door again and winter is coming:sad:

rainbow
August 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Awww, krd, you need some hugs. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I agree with Chico about your friend....:frustrated: :wall: Maybe you should buy a gift certificate for her and her hubby to go out to dinner and offer to babysit the kid.....then you can leave the door open for George. :D

Take care of that cold.....I hope you feel better soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
August 24th, 2008, 02:26 PM
kr - once I find out what I am working this week you can have me one or two nights. This is just getting ridiculous. They are putting no effort into finding this poor cat. I can even bring some fresh catnip.
Actually, that gift certificate is a great idea. But you shouldn't have to buy it. You have spent all the money so far trying to get George back. Maybe the mom will get one? So what if there are a few flies in the house. They are easily swatted. And if George came in the door I would be putting him right in a carrier and right in your van (with window open of course). :rolleyes:
:grouphug: Feel better hon.

ancientgirl
August 24th, 2008, 03:45 PM
If they ignore their pets once a new child comes into the picture then they aren't ready for pets.

I know you'll nab him soon. And I hope you take him somewhere else, because your friend and her hubby clearly just don't care anymore.:sad:

sugarcatmom
August 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Ya I had a conversation with my mom today, and she was saying how when you have a kid your priorities shift (using my brother and sil as an example).... well ya I understand that they do shift, but it doesn't mean your responsibilities suddenly disappear and your pets become disposable overnight!!! :mad:

My big issue with people suddenly relegating their pets to the proverbial "basement" as soon as they procreate is that it doesn't set a very good example to their kids. No wonder selfishness is a freakin epidemic. Children grow up thinking it's all about Them, nothing but Them, and if there isn't anything in it for Them, then they aren't interested. Extremely bad parenting, if you ask me.

ancientgirl
August 24th, 2008, 07:39 PM
My big issue with people suddenly relegating their pets to the proverbial "basement" as soon as they procreate is that it doesn't set a very good example to their kids. No wonder selfishness is a freakin epidemic. Children grow up thinking it's all about Them, nothing but Them, and if there isn't anything in it for Them, then they aren't interested. The ultimate in bad parenting, if you ask me.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've seen shows about people buying a bigger house for their kids, when the house they have is perfectly fine. I think giving your kids the important things is fine, but people tend to spoil their kids that they grow up with entitlement issues.

It's too bad this woman didn't think about finding a home for her pets before she had her child if this is the way things were going to be. I just know George will come back.

onster
August 26th, 2008, 06:21 AM
OMG I just read this..im sooooo sorry krdhamer, I hope and pray George will come back :pray:

Love4himies
August 26th, 2008, 06:48 AM
My big issue with people suddenly relegating their pets to the proverbial "basement" as soon as they procreate is that it doesn't set a very good example to their kids. No wonder selfishness is a freakin epidemic. Children grow up thinking it's all about Them, nothing but Them, and if there isn't anything in it for Them, then they aren't interested. Extremely bad parenting, if you ask me.

So so so so so true, everything is about the KIDS these days!

Luvmypitgirls
August 26th, 2008, 07:29 AM
krdahmer, I just read thru this thread. I am so sorry about George, and I hope and pray for his safe return.:pray:

I have to agree with many that have responded, that George really needs to be found a better home when he is finally caught. I can't believe how these ppl have done next to nothing to find their cat, leaving you out there alone night after night, while you try to catch him.

If George were my cat I would be out there day and night, I would have my entire family out there looking.

George deserves better from the ppl that had him for 4 yrs, obviously he didn't mean as much to them as he should have. I'm sorry I realize they are friends of yours, but they don't deserve to have a pet, and they should be ashamed of themselves and the way they have handled this.

God bless you for being out there for George, if I lived closer I would gladly have joined in the hunt for George.

rainbow
August 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Any news krd ? :fingerscr How is your cold? .....I hope you are feeling better. :goodvibes:

14+kitties
August 26th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I think kr's been hit really hard with that cold. :yuck: I hope she is feeling better very soon. Bet her friend doesn't feel guilty about that either. :frustrated:
As of last night there was no new news. I really hope they decide to open the door and see if George comes in. My feeling is he really wants to come home. He is sticking pretty close. :fingerscr it will happen soon.

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Poor thing. It's all just caught up with her. The cold, and stress of the last couple of weeks really wears your body down.

I'm sure George is just waiting for an opportunity to come into the house. No telling how many times he's actually been outside that door waiting for someone to open it.:sad:

14+kitties
August 26th, 2008, 02:11 PM
That's it exactly! But us saying it is just preaching to the choir. We know it, kr knows it, but if her friend isn't willing to do it what's the sense of saying it? It's very frustrating.
kr - :grouphug: hon. Feel better!

chico2
August 26th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Dahmer,I am so sorry you got sick on top of everything else,take care of yourself and get well:grouphug:
Hopefully you being sick,will give your friend a shake and she'll put some effort in to finding George:fingerscr

krdahmer
August 27th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I was hoping so too, but no such luck. I sat out last night with my kleenex and there was no sign at all of George, but the neighbour had seen him earlier in the day. Tonight I met the big beigy orange fluffy cat who came by to sample a sardine and another guy I had to do a double take on, same body and stripes as our guys, but a little longer in the face and chewed up ears (I think now maybe the feral I tamed named papa, was not Fagan & George's dad... this weathered old fella might have been they look so much alike)... he approached from behind my left elbow and if I hadn't of moved I think he was sniffing me, for a second I thought it was George but no such luck. And of course most of the sightings we get calls about are actually the apartment cat, they say he talks to them and comes right up to them, so we know its not George.

Tonight I went in to talk to my friend as she had put the little guy down early, and I asked her to sit out with me for a few minutes to see if our voices coax him out, she was too busy.:sad: I'm at a point where I'm getting too weary to be angry anymore, I'm just profoundly sad for poor George. I will call the HS again tomorrow, and sit out tomorrow night and maybe early the next morning. Oh and some little critter has figured out how to get into the trap and eat without setting it off (or stick their hands through and pull out the food) there was food missing but nothing in the trap!:frustrated::shrug:

I have to admit that being sick, and seeing all these other beautiful uncared for cats night after night.... I'm getting a little bummed out. But I won't give up.... I just have to find George. :pray:

Thanks again all for your caring and support... and I am starting to feel a bit better, my throat doesn't hurt quite as much. I took some nighttime tylenol cold last night and got a good nights sleep, I think I really needed it as part of the reason I got sick is that I've been losing sleep lately.... in fact I got up at 8, took another 2 pills and went back to bed til noon. :sleepy::rolleyes:

ancientgirl
August 27th, 2008, 07:44 AM
*sigh* George, come home little guy! I can't imagine how sad it must be to not only not have found him yet, but to see all of those others out there, who for all we know could be in the same situation as George.

I know you'll nab him at some point. Your patience will pay off. I just hope you don't put him back in that house with your friend.

chico2
August 27th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Awww Dahmer wish I could help,it's true,you can only be angry for so long,then a numbness sets in.
George is who is important and you of course,your friend,well,no more comments about her:yell:

In comparison,you'd think sometimes having a baby for some people is a 24hour job,no time for anything or anybody else.
Fates owners GF is the same,she will go and smoke in the front,instead of maybe go in the back where Fate is alone and throw her a ball while she's smoking(the GF not Fate:laughing:),it's like she is the only one in the world who ever had a baby.
Children can only benefit from seeing their parents as compassionate caring people,to all creatures.

I had 3 babies,but never did I neglect my animals..
Sorry about the rant,take care of yourself and 1:pray:you'll find George..

Love4himies
August 27th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Oh no, I was hoping you got him. I don't understand his stubborness, George, you are loved, please allow krdahmer to catch you so you can be safe :yell:

Sending more :goodvibes::fingerscr:pray: and of course a :grouphug: for you.

phoozles
August 27th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I was also hoping that you had caught him ..

Heres hoping you'll nab him tonight! :fingerscr:goodvibes::grouphug:

krdahmer
August 28th, 2008, 12:06 AM
No luck again, and no sightings in the last two days.:sad: :cry: Called the HS and no cats picked up either so thats a good thing I guess. It was overcast and about to rain today, but my friend and her little guy did come and sit out with me for about 40 minutes, and she had her windows open so I was really hoping George heard us. The trap again had food missing and was empty! I checked it today and it did seem to be sticking a bit, no doubt a bit warped from the last racoon they caught, a mother racoon who was pretty industrious and had rolled the trap halfway across the lawn by the time they got up in the am! :eek: She was fine and let free of course. And I now have to be careful going in her house because her other cat Libby has fleas pretty bad, (I mean she got out, I told them to give her revolution right away to avoid that... but well it's like.... um... well banging my head against a brick wall there in the advice department :wall:) when I pointed it out she sounded angry... well excuse poor Libby for you being careless and letting her out! :frustrated:

I'm taking tomorrow night off and switching it up... I'm gonna try Friday around dawn or a bit before and maybe walk the neighbourhood a bit too and see if I get a glimpse of orange. Also gonna try shaking a rattle mouse as he apparently loves those, treats don't seem to be working and neither did sardines. I also asked for a more recent and clear pic of George (which she may not even have) so that I can make a nicer poster to leave at the local vets offices, I know when I'm waiting I always read them at my vets... so you never know what animal lover might come across George! :fingerscr

chico2
August 28th, 2008, 07:02 AM
How frustrating and sad:sad:
Maybe someone has taken him in and don't want to give him up:shrug:
Don't forget to take care of yourself too,ok!
Your friend will regret not treating the fleas,once they are found biting the baby:yell:hope she knows flea-collars don't work.
Why on earth did she get another cat:evil:

14+kitties
August 28th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Chico - she has always had the other cat. It is a white one. Very pretty. :sad: I agree she won't like the baby being bitten.
kr - can you fix the trap? I hope so. The one I am using is my neighbours or I would offer it to you. Maybe your friend could go halfsies with you on a new one?
I have a feeling George is striking out to new territory. If only they would have left the door open. They already have fleas. What can be worse than that? :sad:

ancientgirl
August 28th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Maybe taking a break tonight is a good idea. Then on Friday you might catch him off guard.

I worry now for Libby. She's got fleas, fleas will infest the house, baby will be bitten, Libby will mysteriously get out, just like George. :sad:

rainbow
August 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Poor George :grouphug:

Poor you :grouphug:

I hope this story has a happy ending. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

krdahmer
August 29th, 2008, 12:10 AM
THANK GOD!!!! :pray:

GEORGE IS HOME!!!!

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0003.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-winking-smileys.php) :cloud9:

The trap not working was the trick, he got used to getting in for his food and then I fixed it last night and he got caught tonight!!! (I knew if we sat out together and chatted he'd come around, apparently he was there right after I left eating up the sardines... but she called his name and he took off again.)

They have him in a carrier right now as he is out of sorts and scared and are going to take him to the vet first thing in the am, he has a few scrapes but nothing serious and has some blood under his claws so was holding his own I guess. I talked with my friend about an hour we were so excited, and I truly hope they have learned a lesson here. There will be work to be done now and I warned them that he may not adjust to being home right away, but made it clear that I was available for advice or help anytime. I knew when her number showed on the caller id at midnight it was either good or bad news and I can't tell you how ecstatic I am that it was the former!!!! :thumbs up:D

I just wanted to thank you all again so much:grouphug::grouphug:, and let you know that I will let you all know how the vet goes when I find out. She is going to call me and let me know or since they both have to work I may be taking him in. I am just sooooo happy and plan on having my first good sleep in weeks tonight (I'll start worrying about Buddy's lump tomorrow...:rolleyes::o)!!

WOOOOOO!

growler~GateKeeper
August 29th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Alright!!!!!! :highfive:

:fingerscr everything works out in Georges' best interest :goodvibes:

You'll have to coach your friend in re-introducing the 2 cats slowly, so there is not too many issues there.

krdahmer
August 29th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Ya I made sure to tell her that tonight, so that they didn't get back from the vets tomorrow and just let him loose in the house. If he's been scrapping it out with strays for a couple weeks, his poor sister Libby with no claws won't stand a chance in a fight! I'm just so happy.... I was almost sick to think of him out there alone night after night. I just hope the vet goes well and that he hasn't picked up anything (he hasn't had shots since he was 1).

Luvmypitgirls
August 29th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I'm so happy to hear all your hard work and dilligence paid off!:thumbs up
Happy to hear George was caught, and hope that his owner will be more careful in the future.
You are amazing having put so much effort and love into the mission of catching George, :grouphug:

Love4himies
August 29th, 2008, 06:09 AM
WAHOO!!!!!:thumbs up:thumbs up:highfive::grouphug::D

I am so happy he is caught!!!!!!!!!!!

Great work, krdahmer!

ancientgirl
August 29th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out well both at the vets and once he gets home. I also hope this serves as a lesson to them to be more careful.

I'd think they would think to be careful with the doors, since George got out so could their child.

Now you can fully concentrate on Buddy! Let us know how that's going. :fingerscr

14+kitties
August 29th, 2008, 07:08 AM
:highfive: :thumbs up :grouphug::crazy: and lots of :goodvibes: for George's vet appt and up coming re-introduction to Libby!!!

chico2
August 29th, 2008, 07:30 AM
FINALLY SOME GOOD NEWS!!
OMG,I needed to see this this morning,it's been a pretty sad couple of weeks!
Hopefully your friend will also take care of the flea-problem,but George is home!!!
Dahmer you are the best!!

cpietra16
August 29th, 2008, 09:43 AM
This is so good.....Welcome home George...and don't ever do that again:D:laughing:

phoozles
August 29th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Fantastic news! :highfive: Great that George is finally home!

krdahmer
August 29th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I called to check on him... the vets went well, the blood on his claws was his though, most likely from trying to get out of the trap (he may have been in it a couple of hours last night), he has a small cut on his lip that seems to be healing well on it's own and they picked up advantage for both kitties. (who are hanging in the basement until the advantage starts to work :frustrated: like that makes a difference when Libby has been dropping fleas all over the house for 2 weeks anyhow :rolleyes: ) I talked to her hubby and he said George let him pick him up at the vets, and they both pet him and cuddled him when he got home... so other than being a bit scared I think he's happy to be back home. I am just so relieved that he is safe... and I am going to go over and visit him in a couple days and see how he's doing and I'll snap some pictures to show you better what all the fuss has been about! (I have to be careful also about the fleas because we finally stopped the every month revolution here last month so no one here is treated and with Fagan's allergy I can't risk bringing even one home or I'd be there today to see him!)

I just love all you guys and how this board rallies when one of us is in need... it may only be cyberspace... but I really felt those hugs when I needed them most! Thanks again! :lovestruck:

And as for worrying about Buddy, I am of course, but a little less frantically so, he is scheduled to have the lump removed on the 9th, and until they get it out I don't know if it's anything to get worked up about. I'm :pray: that it's just a lump and nothing sinister. :fingerscr And of course you will all know as soon as I know. ;)

ancientgirl
August 29th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I wish I was closer to you, I would have offered help, but I'm glad you felt our love and hope over these wires.

I've also managed to get my gang off of Revolution. Since they are all inside and flealess, spending $60 a month for all 5 of them was just not easy.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping Buddy's lump isn't anything but a plain old nothing lump.:grouphug:

Frenchy
August 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Well it's about time George !! :cat:

I'm glad he's FINALLY home :thumbs up

aslan
August 29th, 2008, 08:25 PM
yay for george, bet he's happy and comfy now. You rock Kr... oh and 14+ thanks for helping out.

14+kitties
August 29th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hopefully sweet George has learned his lesson with being free and will stay away from open doors. :fingerscr
I am so glad all he has to show for his troubles are a few scrapes. The bloody claws aren't fun. I have seen a few ferals do that. Just ask your friend to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get infected please.
It's too bad they both have fleas. Let's hope they clean their house well to get rid of them.

:grouphug: for you! Now you can relax. And lots and lots of :goodvibes: for Buddy. But you have a few days before you have to worry about that.
REST NOW!!!! :2huggers:

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
http://foolstown.com/sm/obm.gif What a relief! :o

I'm so glad George made it home! Good job, KR!

And :goodvibes: and :fingerscr for Buddy, too! :grouphug:

krdahmer
August 30th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Actually they go to my old vet (I found they were never very thorough so found another) and I think the vet gave her hubby the impression that the advantage was all they needed to get rid of the fleas because I asked if they got the spray for the house and he said no that they got the advantage. I'll talk to my friend and make sure she understands how fleas work. I've dealt with them myself twice now and have quite a good system. All the cats on treatment, VetChem Siphotrol for the house, and flea collars cut up in the vacuum bags. (I even spray the car, Buddy's pet stroller and outdoor mats with the siphotrol too.) :fingerscr we've been flea free for over a year now so hopefully she keeps them to herself!

I might go over tomorrow night, I know her hubby will be at work and she would only be working until 6 or so... so I'll try and get some George pics too. (I'll have to spray myself with the siphotrol before I go over! :rolleyes::yuck:)

krdahmer
September 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Just wanted to let you all know that I talked to my friend over facebook the other day, and although George is being hissed at by Libby (I told her about the baby powder trick), he is settling in fine and coming out for snuggles from her when the baby is sleeping. So good news. :thumbs up

14+kitties
September 4th, 2008, 07:45 AM
:thumbs up FABULOUS!!! :thumbs up :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
September 5th, 2008, 12:57 AM
:highfive: good to hear

Soter
September 5th, 2008, 06:28 AM
what spooked him??

Love4himies
September 5th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I glad to hear George is settling back into his home. :thumbs up

krdahmer
September 5th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Well they got out through an open door (:wall:), he and his sister, and were out for almost 8 hours while they were at work. She was found howling under a car, and he had gone to hide under the bushes at the side of the house. She came out for family but he was really freaked out, I have a suspicion that he tried to stick with his sister but she got really turned around and may have attacked him in the state she was in. (And of course no one sitting out looking for him didn't help either.) I'm just so glad he's safe now!

ancientgirl
September 5th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I've read and actually noticed this with Kiska, that when an indoor cat gets out, they get disoriented. When Kiska was a little kitty, she got past me and got out into the hall. I instantly noticed she was all weirded out. She ran from me and was meowing in a distressed tone. So it could very well be the same situation with George. And of course the not sitting out...

14+kitties
September 5th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I guess we just have to be lucky that George is safe and healthy. :thumbs up It could have ended so much worse!!

rainbow
September 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I've been MIA for almost two weeks and just read the good news now. :thumbs up I'm so glad to hear that George is finally safe at home. :cloud9:

Now......where's the pics you promised? :whistle:

krdahmer
September 9th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Ha! I'm still working on those Rainbow... she has a flea problem right now and I'm kinda shying away from a visit to avoid bringing them home because Fagan is doing so well. (and I can't afford to treat all of my guys at the moment)

I'll be going over in the next couple weeks to pick up my trap etc and will try to sneak some pics then!