Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need my puppy home!

kmd
August 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM
My dear companion Bentley died May 26,:rip: I didn't think it would be possible to fall in love again, but I have. with an adorable chihuahua puppy. She is 3 houses down the street, a friend/neighbour's female had only 1 puppy. She is ready to come home now, but my husband is not feeling the same way and is adamant I don't bring her home. I need to rant about this, since I really think she would fit in nicely with us. She'd be very portable and could come everywhere with us. I've tried almost everything to sway him, anybody out there with ideas? I don't want to lose her.:cry::fingerscr
Karen

Winston
August 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM
how aboout suggesting a short trial basis and maybe he will fall in love???

allymack
August 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I agree with winston just say something like " Can we make a compromise, can we bring the chi home for a "trial" and see if he fits in, ( or whatever reason he doesnt want another dog) i know he cant take the place of our other dog, but i would really like another one and it would mean a lot to me if we could just give it a try" I mean he has to agree to a "trial" :D good luck!

Shaykeija
August 11th, 2008, 12:26 AM
try these..maybe he will crumble.....

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n98/chiana_33/ana/sad-eyes-dog.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z319/9eclypse6/sadkittyeyes.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p167/kojo81_photos/Bigsadeyes.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii3/shonjasonmedley/unknown1.jpg

t.pettet
August 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Besides using 'on trial' you could mention that you're going to foster him until an appropriate family comes along. After the pup has been with you for a few weeks your husband may have bonded enough to want to keep him.

Elizabeth Ann
August 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Besides using 'on trial' you could mention that you're going to foster him until an appropriate family comes along. After the pup has been with you for a few weeks your husband may have bonded enough to want to keep him.

That's a great idea. I would go with this one.

Hogansma
August 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Hmmmm, I just think that if you bring him home on a trial basis, it will be soooooooo hard to give him back, if not impossible. I fostered a dog for 24 hours and it broke my heart to give her back. I don't have any suggestions, just don't want you to get hurt all over again. Does your husband not want any dogs ever or maybe he just isn't ready yet. Guys don't always show their emotions. I fostered my old girl Bailey and was finding her a suitable home. Well, still haven't found it after a year.

Purpledomino
August 13th, 2008, 10:32 AM
FINALLY a post with my area of expertise! :laughing: First of all, you must know your husbands affection for animals. If he is a real mushpot, then I would go ahead with the plan of a "trial" basis. It gets more complicated if he takes a while to warm up to animals. You will have a definate "cuteness" factor on your side, and I'm thinking that it would take a heart of stone to not become attached to a Chihuahua puppy......seriously!

I have aquired more animals without my husbands consent beforehand, because I know it is easier for him to say no than yes. When the smuggled fuzzbutt is finally here, I KNOW he will be smitten (he is a huge sucker for animals) and it is pretty much a given that he stays. :D

My last project was a yearling (horse). I had collaberated a story on how he was neglected (true) and due to his wonderful nature, I was certain he would win my hubbie over. I fabricated the story that his staying here was temporary... and would be going to a different home. Well, to make a long story short, after a couple days....he was practically begging me to keep this horse :D And he thought it was HIS idea. I told you....I am the master. :laughing:

I am not advicating you lie to your husband, but if he is an animal lover beforehand, and has had good relationships with your past pets...I would risk it. Just make sure you have a backup plan...(like the owner will take said puppy back). I'm willing to bet money that you won't be though! Good luck! :fingerscr

t.pettet
August 13th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I have given up counting how many of my customers are men who originally didn't want a dog but the partner and kids went ahead and brought one home anyway. Most of these dogs are Daddy's girl or boy, ride around with them in the car/truck, go to the Dairy Queen or McDonalds and are adored. Some men just don't know whats best for themselves.

the gang
August 13th, 2008, 11:09 PM
i agree BIG TIME how do you think i got 5 min pins he he, and guess where i am on compt and where are the pins?? all cuddled up with daddy watching t v lol good luck brenda and the pins:thumbs up

rainbow
August 16th, 2008, 02:43 AM
kmd, have you been able to convince your hubby yet? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Purpledomino
August 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I agree......we definately need an update on this. We are all patiently waiting to see if you have your baby yet. Inquiring minds need to know! :fingerscr

Cavy Crazy
August 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I can understand totally what you are going through and empathize greatly-my husband is the same way...He believes animals belong outdoors, I believe they need to share your howe & become real family members. (That's their job) Needless to say I have 5 dogs (indoors) & a rescued barn cat(indoors) A BLM adopted mustang (we broke) 3 ponies (for the kids) and 4 QH's. I usually don't ask.......oops, I bring it home and say nothing, when he notices a newcomer I give him the "I'm just fostering it" story and why. Our fur babies always nestle into our hearts and stay forever. BUT when I do this I am considerate of him, in that, dogs are not allowed on furniture or in our bed and are well trained, however, it usually is him who ends up allowing these things in the end. And I just SMILE! I wish you luck!!!